• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

specialty liquor store

I am feeling the need to expand my liquor cabinet to include interesting after dinner drinks and ingredients for some of the cocktails people describe in that thread. Canadian LCB (well ok, at least the BC version) is making me feel constrained ... any recommendations for a spot in Setattle or Portland (or points between)?

Particularly looking for German Schnapps, e.g. himbergeist, mirella, pear etc. Or recommendations for things fun to try.

Hoping to hear about your haunts for alcoholic ingredients!

Washington state is a run by a state-operated liquor monopoly, which means "specialty" liquor stores aren't really an option. The state has a list of "approved" products, and those are the only things that can be brought in. Restaurants and Bars don't order through distributers, but have to purchase their products from the liquor store system. Each establishment has "a" liquor store that they are supposed to process all of their orders through, so the liquor stores with the best selection, are usually the ones near the bars with the best selection.

Here in Seattle, the liquor store on 1st Avenue South (down by the stadiums) is the "main" liquor store for the state, and usually has a pretty good overall selection. The store on 6th and Lenora is probably the hands-down favorite (since it is where most of the downtown restaurants order through)... but a year ago it closed it's doors to "normal" customers, and only sells to restaurants now :-<

One benefit of the "state owned" system, is that there is a single database that tracks all of the stock in all of the liquor stores... and it's online (albiet sometimes a week or two out of date).

If there is a particular product you are looking for, you can search for it via their website here: http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp

I find it to be an invaluable tool.

-Robert

Oregon is worse then Washington, believe it or not. Mailorder and haunting booze stores when I travel are my best options! But I think you can get some good stuff in Canada we can't, like Cinzano orange bitters, can't you?

regards,

trillium

Another option is visit California where they have huge warehouse stores just for booze and party supplies. I couldn't believe the selection and prices these places had.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Yep, all of the liquor stores here are about the same. It's hard to get really weird stuff, but sometimes someone has convinced the state to get a case and they have some laying around. It is getting better, but slowly. The location in Snohomish just east of Everett was always really good for single malt scotch, but I have no idea why. It's a cute little antique store town and is worth a visit for that reason, so you might stop in.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

AHA! No wonder why I feel this way!

Thanks for the info. all, I'll check out the Washington state listings, and I'll check to see if we have Cinzano orange bitters, I've never seen it here, but will look / ask. I believe we too have a db listing, but I don't think it is on the web - hmmn, that is worth checking into too!

So how come the west (except California which is really itself and not the west) has such a tight control on liquor availability? Should it not run like any free market force, with supply and demand? Maybe a topic for another thread ...

At the holidays, I noticed that my local liquor store in lower Queen Anne had limoncello, which I thought was fairly progressive. However, their wine prices suck.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

If there is a particular product you are looking for, you can search for it via their website here: http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp

I find it to be an invaluable tool.

-Robert

I looked for a couple of moderately obscure items and found them, but when I checked store availability it said 6th and Lenora only. So as a retail consumer I guess I'm just out of luck.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I bet you could get them to transfer whatever you need to a different store pretty easily. Even if it was just a bottle or two. You might have to find the right person to do it though, maybe the manager of the store nearest you.

Also, if you frequent any restaurant and know anyone there they could probably get it the next time they pick up their own liquor. There are rules about which liquor store each restaurant goes to, but I don't think that it's that strict. In fact, I've actually taken the Class H license with someone else's name on it down to pick up some liquor for a restaurant. They didn't check to see that it was me on the license, and I paid with cash. Can't really recommend that though.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

...I'll check to see if we have Cinzano orange bitters

Cinzano makes an Orange Bitters? First I've heard of it (which means you can't buy it in Washington state, and probably can't buy it anywhere else in the US). Do you have more info/details on this? I'd love to know more.

Ahhh... I think I just found what you might be talking about.

http://www.campari.com/eng/brand/wines/index.asp?id=30252

Cinzano Orancio is the latest vermouth to be added to the range, it has a yellow colour with amber reflections, accompanied by a light presence of caramel.  It is a full and lively flavour that is sweet and characteristic of orange and candied fruit.
Definately sounds interesting, and appears to be a bitters of the "Italian" variety, as opposed to the "Cocktail" variety (which is sometimes a thin line indeed). I would expect this to be something that is intended to be drunk as-is, over ice, with an orange twist. Or that is to say the Cinzano folks would love to see you drink a full glass of this at a time... while I think it sounds like an interesting ingredient for a cocktail.

-Robert

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I've never actually tasted it, but but filed it under "bitters" when I saw it at a friend's house. She said their friends have a shop in BC and that's where they got it. I don't think you can buy it anywhere in the US. From the description it almost sounds Lillet-like, doesn't it? Now I wish I had at least smelled it.

regards,

trillium