• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tinga

handmc

I love tinga pablano. I had a really good recipe two hard drives ago. I have been craving it for weeks and I would like to make it for some friends this weekend.

Anyone have any recipes they can share?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I love tinga pablano. I had a really good recipe two hard drives ago. I have been craving it for weeks and I would like to make it for some friends this weekend.

Anyone have any recipes they can share?

Well I found a recipe it is this below:

· 1 1/2 lbs. ( 680 grams) boneless pork loin or shoulder, cut in 2" cubes

· 1 small onion

· 4 cloves garlic, peeled

· 1 bay leaf

· 1/4 lb. (170 grams) chorizo

· 2 medium onions, thinly sliced

· 3 tomatoes, roasted or boiled to loosen the skin, then peeled

· 2 canned chipotles en adobado (that's two chiles, not two cans!)

· 1 Tablespoon dried oregano

This is what I did to it.

I took a boneless pork shoulder and trimmed off the fat and silver skin, then I chopped 4 onions, a head of garlic, 5 fresh bay leaf, one good stick of chorizo sliced thin then chopped, 6 pasillia peppers, 1/4 cup evoo; sweat till clear then; 1 cup rancherea sauce, 1 large can chicken broth; 1 tbs dried oregano, 1 tbs fresh epazote, 1/2 cup cilantro; salt and black pepper to taste. Salt to taste.

Making this dish was a labor of love. The broth OMG, is was so tasty it would be a soup by itself! Cook the chunks of meat until they fall apart. That's it nothing more to do but enjoy in a taco or a tostada, or in my case with corn and and boiled chopped potatotes as empandadas. Yum.

It was a very fine albeit I don't know a if very authentic dish. Little work but taste that will blow you away.

Since no one else posted a recipe try this let me know what you think.

--------------------

• 3 weeks later...

My recipe for Tinga comes from a friend who grew up and lives in Monterrey, Mexico so it is as authentic as they come...and soooo delicious! One chipotle chili makes this warm, two can make this HOT so use sparingly if you are not used to them. (You really don't want to use the whole can)

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 pound Beef Brisket

2 1/2 whole onions

3 cloves garlic

1 package chorizo

1 chipotle chile from canned in adobo

1 cup tomato sauce

1/2 cup chicken or beef stock (optional)

12 each corn tortilla

salt

Salt and Pepper beef brisket and place in crock pot on LOW with one onion coarse chopped and 2 cloves garlic just smashed. Let cook with lid on 6-8 hours, preferrably overnight.

Once beef has cooled, remove it from the crock pot and shred. Reserve the liquid that has come from the meat. (If liquid is burned, you may discard)

Cook chorizo, drain and return the red chorizo grease back into pan.

Add thinly sliced onion to the chorizo grease and cook until translucent. Remove from grease, may place on top of bowl containing cooked chorizo but do not mix them.

Add shredded beef to remaining chorizo grease. Cook until heated through and grease is absorbed. Remove from pan (may place on top of onions but do not mix).

To make sauce: Add reserved juice from cooked meat or 1/2 cup strong chicken or beef stock, 1/2 chopped onion and one chopped clove garlic, about 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1 chipoltle chile. Blend until smooth. Salt to taste. Add additional tomato sauce and up to 1 more chipoltle chile (they are very hot!) to taste. Blend until smooth. This will have a smokey, barbeque flavor.

Pour sauce into the pan used for cooking other items and heat through on medium until warmed and color darkens slightly. Add beef and incorpoate into sauce, add onions and incorporate thoroughly, add chorizo and incorporate thoroughly. Cook together on low for 15-20 minutes to let the flavors meld.

I will have to try this thanks it sounds great!

--------------------

Hi folks. In case you haven't heard, RecipeGullet is back. Please post your recipes to the RecipeGullet archive and provide a link to it here.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 month later...

Made this recipe (the brisket/slow cooker version) a couple of weeks ago. Followed directions exactly....it was wonderful. Served as a regular taco filling. Doubled the recipe and had some leftovers...but they went quickly. Thanks.....

Edited by ldubois2 (log)

Made this recipe (the brisket/slow cooker version) a couple of weeks ago.  Followed directions exactly....it was wonderful.  Served as a regular taco filling.  Doubled the recipe and had some leftovers...but they went quickly.  Thanks.....

Yea! That makes me so happy :biggrin: The leftovers do freeze but I never even label them since my DH can't let them be for more than a week or so. I'm so glad that you liked it.

I did them for a party recently and served them in the mini Tostitos scoops with a bit of grated cheese and diced avocado. Big hit.

I've also discovered that the type of chorizo used makes a huge difference in the end product. Farmer John brand is fine for chorizo and eggs but the Mexican brand has more fat in it which is essential for the onions and shredded beef so I would recommend using a Mexican brand of chorizo for this recipe for anyone. I'll go edit my recipe on RG now...

Made this recipe (the brisket/slow cooker version) a couple of weeks ago.  Followed directions exactly....it was wonderful.  Served as a regular taco filling.  Doubled the recipe and had some leftovers...but they went quickly.  Thanks.....

Yea! That makes me so happy :biggrin: The leftovers do freeze but I never even label them since my DH can't let them be for more than a week or so. I'm so glad that you liked it.

I did them for a party recently and served them in the mini Tostitos scoops with a bit of grated cheese and diced avocado. Big hit.

I've also discovered that the type of chorizo used makes a huge difference in the end product. Farmer John brand is fine for chorizo and eggs but the Mexican brand has more fat in it which is essential for the onions and shredded beef so I would recommend using a Mexican brand of chorizo for this recipe for anyone. I'll go edit my recipe on RG now...

I used Mexican Chorizo...dilemma was choosing Picante or not. Since I doubled the recipe I used one package of each. Next time I think I'll go with Picante.

• 8 months later...

I did this with Mexican chorizo and served it on little soft buns for a Super Bowl snack, with bowls of cilantro, diced white onion, and pickled jalapenos on the side. People loved it. Thanks, Genny!