• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fave Central Oregon restaurants?

The S.O, our best foodie friend and our dog will be staying at Camp Sherman this weekend at a friends cabin...any recommendations for great restaurant finds in the Madras/Sisters/Bend triangle?

I'm going to go on a tour of Juniper Grove creamery and watch some chevre and Tomme being made and am trying to find a great place to have dinner that night.

Any recommendations? Doesn't have to even be white tablecloth...just places you love.

Thoughts?

The S.O, our best foodie friend and our dog will be staying at Camp Sherman this weekend at a friends cabin...any recommendations for great restaurant finds in the Madras/Sisters/Bend triangle?

I'm going to go on a tour of Juniper Grove creamery and watch some chevre and Tomme being made and am trying to find a great place to have dinner that night.

Any recommendations? Doesn't have to even be white tablecloth...just places you love.

Thoughts?

Merenda Restaurant and Wine Bar, 900 NW Wall St. in downtown Bend. Excellent Mediterranean and Northwest specialties, tapas or small plates as well. Fine selection of wines, good deals on food in the bar during cocktail hour. Very good quality throughout. Don't miss this place. It's a diamond in the rough.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Bend has really come along in the last ten years or so as far as dining destinations. Try the Deschutes Brewery for some interesting pub food, and a ton of beers that are only available at the source. Also, Bendistillery has a bar in downtown Bend facing the river. Cool cocktails, swanky dark room, and you can buy their gin and vodka to go. There's also a roadhouse-type place to the west of Bend that I can't remember the name of that had an old west theme. Pretty cool, probably gets crowded with locals on the weekends.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Ask Pierre at Juniper Grove for a recommendation. He'll know what's good.

There used to be a great old cowboy bar downtown (on Bond, I think). I'm not sure if it hasn't been gentrified out of existence, but if not it's worth stopping by and joining the buckaroos for a shot and beer at 7 am..steak and eggs aren't bad, either.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Some time ago (four years?) I read a cool article in the Sunday magazine that comes with the Seattle Times about a steak house in Central Oregon that is completely nondescript, in the middle of nowhere, perhaps on a ranch, and (then, anyway) served the best steak in the state. I can't remember anything about it other than that--and the fact that I've always wanted to figure out where it was and try it.

Does this ring a bell with anybody?

• 4 months later...

Second on Deschutes Brewery and Pub. We passed thru a few years ago and dropped in for dinner. I remember an excellent smoked duck quesadilla with a fruit relish to start things off. The rest is hazy (due to time, not the beverages).

I'm sure I saw families with kids, but you might want to call ahead if you decide to take this path.