• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Yes, the old F* and Firkin place on Davie is now Soho Bar and Grill. They haven't changed a thing - same chairs, paint, signs, etc.

The food is bad, even for a pub. Service is friendly, if a little slow and amateurish. The menu looked promising (crab gyoza in addition to the standard pub fare), but the results on the plate are lifeless.

Nachos were as good as what you could make at home, the ceasar salad I had with my shaved beeef panini had been made hours earlier and was now too soggy. The beef panini itself was flavourless (two others at our table felt the same way).

Whoever designed the menu did a good jo, but whoever is executing on that menu needs a kick in the pants.

That said, the beer selection is good and prices are cheap. Don't go for much more than the alcohol.

RE: Il Ducato --> The Distillery

Haven't been there yet -- anyone? Martini Boys did a review here:

http://www.martiniboys.com/stew/main.php?p...he%20Distillery

Other note, anyone been to Central (formerly Brass Monkey) on Denman?

On a slightly cheerier note, Il Ducato on 4th ave has closed and been reopened under new owners as The Distillery - bar/lounge concept.  For the overflow from Bimini's perhaps?

I believe owner of Tama sushi is actively looking for a new place, landlord jacked up rent too much so he decided to bail.

I'm not surprised Kami-san is looking for a new venue-the man's a workaholic.

At the same time I'm not suprised that the Fir St operation is gone-jacked up rent or no there were some real staffing 'issues' over the years and some very uneven results from the kitchen.

Here is a great new secret.

Burrito Brothers.

yup, just a burrito spot that has a limited menu (burrito's, tacos, nacho's, chicken beef, or rice and beans etc.) and a fridge fuill of mexican beer.

but the burrito's are fantastic. big and full of flavour besides rice and beans.

they have a great little patio too if your lucky to get a seat on a nice day.

location, just off first and yew. tucked beside the 24 hour store that is beside Adesso which is on the corner.

and some comments to an earlier Vera's Discussion.

I also went to the davie location, late one afternoon, not too busy. waited the 12 min for my burger. It was amazing. It disappeared in seconds and then I felt like a nap. a Brilliant burger. while I was inhaling it I was trying to put my finger on why it was so good. the fact that the sauted mushrooms and blue chees combo is my fave? the size? the fact that the patty just screams this is the real thing?

Finally I decided, that when I have a patio and a bbq again, and I take the afternoon to make some killer bugrgers and invite the gang over to just chill and enjoy, this is exactly how they should be.

So, when you have the craving for that, the 12 minutes really isn't that bad.

besides, the 12 minutes is the reality part of not being another "fast food burger"

There is a rumor floating around Kerrisdale that the store on the north-west corner of 41st and the Boulevard has been leased by Linda Meinhardt. Anyone know if it is true?

The other part of the story is that this space was formerly occupied by the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Apparently when the TD bank and Canada Trust merged, the TD formerly in this space moved in with Canada Trust down the block. The landlord wouldn't let the TD out of their lease so they gave the space to the Sally Anne as a charitable donation and got the tax benefit. The other merchants in Kerrisdale went crazy as they felt it was unfair that they had a shop on the street with no rent and no cost-of-goods. Apocrophal? Don't know but would love to know if Linda is bringing us something new. I have always thought that this would be a perfect place for Williams and Sonoma.

And, speaking of grocery stores and new - Stong's now has COMPLIMENTARY valet parking during their busy times - 2 - 6:30 during the week and all day on the weekends. Apparently you let the cashier know as you go through the checkout and they have the car at the door as you leave. And they load the groceries for you! (If only they would come home with me and unload and put them away for me.)

Cheers,

Karole

Taco Del Mar.

There is one opening up just down the road from my house, in a strip mall with a Save-On Foods, McDonalds, etc ... Tiny location. I think they might fit 15-20 seats once the "kitchen" is put in. Does anyone have any experience with this chain? "Seafood Taco" sounds like the punchline to a bad joke to me, but I'll try anything once. :wink:

According to their website, they have about three different things on the menu. Tacos with beef, chicken or fish.

-- Matt.

Eight East - at 8 East Broadway is open or almost there. Coffee and...

Cito Espresso - at 116 Davie, accross from Starbucks/Urban Fair(Fare). Espresso drinks and pastry.

Not an opening but an expansion of sorts: Cassis is now doing Sunday BBQ's in their nicenice back patio spot.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

There is a rumor floating around Kerrisdale that the store on the north-west corner of 41st and the Boulevard has been leased by Linda Meinhardt. Anyone know if it is true?

The other part of the story is that this space was formerly occupied by the Salvation Army Thrift Store. Apparently when the TD bank and Canada Trust merged, the TD formerly in this space moved in with Canada Trust down the block. The landlord wouldn't let the TD out of their lease so they gave the space to the Sally Anne as a charitable donation and got the tax benefit. The other merchants in Kerrisdale went crazy as they felt it was unfair that they had a shop on the street with no rent and no cost-of-goods. Apocrophal? Don't know but would love to know if Linda is bringing us something new. I have always thought that this would be a perfect place for Williams and Sonoma.

And, speaking of grocery stores and new - Stong's now has COMPLIMENTARY valet parking during their busy times - 2 - 6:30 during the week and all day on the weekends. Apparently you let the cashier know as you go through the checkout and they have the car at the door as you leave. And they load the groceries for you! (If only they would come home with me and unload and put them away for me.)

Hi Karole, your story about how a thrift store ended up on the corner of 41st and Arbutus is quite true! Great stuff huh! Guess that landlords not too popular...

I don't think that Linda is going in to that location as she is still tweeking Picnic and has some plans for remodeling the store as well, but I will ask her as I should see her in the next week or so. Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Here is a few excerpts from some press I was sent on Marmalade...I haven't tried it yet, but plan to. Cate

"Marmalade Kitchen & Bar located on Vancouver's Beach Avenue waterfront is now open and set to become your local. The retro-mod setting seats 75 including a spacious patio"...

"Marmalade is the brainchild of owner and designer Ash Sharifaie. Sharifaie has spent 15 years in food service within the U.K. His last role was as a buyer for food industry leader the Compass Group, the largest food service company in the world"

..."Chef David Alsop - formerly of Aphrodite Cafe, Tomato Fresh Food Cafe, and Mad About Food - steers the menu"...."upmarket cafe menus by day and intimate lounge bar items by night"...Marmalade..."is now open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night"

Marmalade Kitchen & Bar

#3 - 1010 Beach Ave

Vancouver, BC

T: 604.689.7800

info@marmaladekb.com

www.marmaladekb.com

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

We were trying to decide where to go for dinner tonight - something light, not too much as we have several other 'eating' events this weekend (C lunch, HSG patio and CRU wine dinner). Wondered about Elixir, discarded that idea as bit too much, then thought about maybe something on Main but don't know enough about the restaurants we were considering to make a decision. Saw Cate's comment about Marmalade so I went to the website. BORING. Mayfair Salad? Grilled Salmon? So, I'm with Keith, without reading Alexandra Gill. Not a chance for this restaurant unless someone can disabuse me of the notion that this restaurant hasn't the faintest clue what it is trying to do.

Where did we end up? Pair. Had a fruity martini (I know, I know) and mains - halibut for him and flat iron steak for me. Perfect for what we needed tonight.

Cheers,

Karole

went by library today and saw them clearing chairs out of fox and fiddle asked oneof the guys if he knew what was going in there next, he said another bar, i don't get it, terrible location so far death count at one restaurant and one pub

stellas belgian resto on the drive on corner of grandview park, owned by dean mallel of incendio(s) , kinda dissapointed in belgian beer selection (used to live there) only about 4 or 5 of them, also heavy on the tapas, kinda got the feeling he's trying to ride on the coat-tails of chambar with the whole belgian thing, but just opened so there is still hope

Moby's Marine Pub - on Saltspring is closing within the next two weeks (13th i think). Future unclear, rumours include health club and juice bar. The marina will remain open as the new owners are/tied in with the Seattle Yaht Club and also own the Hastings House next door. Around 40 islanders will be looking for work.

If anybody is overthere, the last open-mike (music) night is on wednesday. Some of it will surely be crap but the place will be packed.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Moby's Marine Pub  - on Saltspring is closing within the next two weeks (13th i think). Future unclear, rumours include health club and juice bar.

NOOOOOOOO! That is so sad, although I must admitt my last visit to Moby's was less than stellar and hardly what it was when I first went 10 years ago.

First Barb's changeover, and now this. *sigh*

A.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently heard that Ken Bogas's Coco Pazzo has closed. It was a lovely to look at room with a beautiful bar/chef's table created from an piece of cedar so it was the most amazing warm yellow. As the building was previously a bank, the wine cellar was the vault. Quite impressive. Unfortunately the room itself was loud and precluded any conversation whatsoever. I used to joke that the only people who ate there on a regular basis where those whose marriage was in trouble - you couldn't talk to each other even if you wanted to. In the early days the food was great and it was convenient to have a local place to go for a bit and a glass of wine. Wonder if another restaurant will go in there?

Cheers,

Karole

Recently heard that Ken Bogas's Coco Pazzo has closed. . .

Unfortunately the room itself was loud and precluded any conversation whatsoever. I used to joke that the only people who ate there on a regular basis where those whose marriage was in trouble - you couldn't talk to each other even if you wanted to.

Coco Pazzo has indeed closed and the proprietor, who also closed Mangiamo and Saltimbocca (the unpaid architect at the time said "Bogas by name and by nature"), reportedly left a number of supliers on the hook, apparently including one local winery for five large. The bailiff's sign on the door says that $22,000 is owing on back rent; Bogas tells a different story.

The crowd often resembled a Crofton House PTA meeting--with Hermes scarves aflutter, alligator shirts and Polo aftershave aplenty. Many of them had long decamped for Henry's Kitchen at half the price and fine dining in Greater Kerrisdale is once again no more.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Random on Davie just west of Jervis is closed. There's lots of activity going on behind the covered windows and rumours are that a Bin-like restaurant is the next incarnation of the space. Anyone have any details?

Cheers,

Anne

Burgers Etc. is now open in Burnaby at Hastings and Gilmore (I think?).

Anyone anointed themselves yet? Arne?

I keep speeding by and noticing it in a blur, and a mile down the road

think to myself, I shoulda stopped there to check it out.

But haven't. Yet.

Random on Davie just west of Jervis is closed.  There's lots of activity going on behind the covered windows and rumours are that a Bin-like restaurant is the next incarnation of the space. Anyone have any details?

Mexican fusion restaurant. No other details.

Are you serious? :sad: I was hoping it was Random going under renovation or something.. I liked the 'ol restaurant. :(

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Burgers Etc. is now open in Burnaby at Hastings and Gilmore (I think?).

Anyone anointed themselves yet? Arne?

They were open at the beginning of June ... in time for Hats' Off Days. Stuck my head in to have a look at the menu, but haven't had a chance to eat there yet, bu my neighbour (who first suggested Bombay Bhel to me) says it's a good burger.

I'll go once my calendar opens up :cool:

A.