• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Crime Lab has locked the doors and awaits a wrecking ball.

Was Crime Lab the one that was co-owned by whatshername from the Xfiles? Gillian Anderson?

Are you thinking of the Alibi Room where she was one of many investors?

Yes, you're right. The Alibi Room ... think it was on Alexandra St near Chinatown. Wonder if it's still there.

This (press release) just in . . .

NB: See Yagger's Website for complete menu, wine and cocktails list.

(Vancouver, BC) – Vancouver’s lively bar scene just got livelier with the addition of Yagger’s at 433 West Pender. The brainchild of brothers Tom and Trevor Poirier, Yagger’s is an unpretentious place serving fun food and serious drinks.

The brothers Poirier have impeccable credentials for creating such an establishment. Older brother Tom is still co-owner with Andrew Wong in the very successful Wild Rice two blocks to the east. Prior to that he held managerial positions at popular clubs such as Au Bar, Stone Temple and Sand Bar. Trevor, the former GM of Wild Rice, also has a bar background having worked with Tom at Stone Temple amongst others. Joining Tom and Trevor as partners are friends Dan Wood and Wade Quinney, both of whom boast impressive resumes in the bar and club scene.

"We wanted a casual place where people could drop by for a quick pre or post show/game bite, an after work pick-me-up or end of evening nightcap," says Tom. "It’s our intention to create a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere where people feel they can drop by and spend the evening. A place that becomes their regular hangout."

What sets Yagger’s apart from many of its clubby competitors is its innovative menu of sophisticated takes on bar-food standards. Designed by Wild Rice’s award-winning chef, Stuart Irving, Yagger’s menu offers comfort food at prices that won’t break the bank. Some of the "slightly twisted" classics include: Three Tomato Soup with Italian parsley pesto and crème fraîche ($6), Mac and Not So Blue Cheese with white cheddar and Gorgonzola ($10), Gourmet BBQ Pork Sloppy Joe in a sweet sesame glaze ($10), Free Run Chicken Wings with baha spice, wasabi dusted or Jagermeister glazed ($8), Warm Spinach Salad with orange segments and candied walnuts ($7) and a Baron of Venison Baguette with pepper roasted onions and pale ale jus ($10). The Pittsburgh Panino ($7) is an item that is sure to become a signature dish. Think of a chicken panino sandwich served with Cole slaw and crisp French fries – only this time, instead of sitting on the side, they are inside the sandwich with the chicken. "Stu tasted these on a recent trip to Pittsburgh and thought they were awesome. The vinegar base of the Cole slaw and the fresh potato of the fries, complement each other so well and give a nice finish what could have been a plain old chicken sandwich," says Trevor. Another innovation is that prices include taxes, what you see, is what you pay.

"Because of our experience at Wild Rice, we know how important the food component is," continues Trevor. "We made the decision that the kitchen is always open, so people can have dinner at 11:30 p.m. if they want. We’re all about comfort and convenience."

As one would expect with a name like Yagger’s, the inventive drink list boasts many specialty cocktails incorporating the place’s namesake Jagermeister. As with the food menu, the cocktail offerings are reasonably priced and include tax – martinis for $7.50, cocktails at $6 for singles and $8 for doubles, specialty Jagermeister shooters for $4.75 and premium shooters at $7.50.

Yagger’s wine list features great value wines from B.C., California, Chile and Australia. Individual glasses range from $6.25 - $8.50 while full bottles start as low as $24 and top out at $65.

Located in a heritage building, Yagger’s exudes a homey, retro feel. With a14’ ceiling, the front dining room, anchored by an aged Jagermeister mural, offers a mixture of intimate tables and banquettes as well as a casual seating area with love seat, arm chair and coffee table. A little further down the long space is the bar area you’ll find an L-shaped bar with black leatherette bucket swivel chairs, comfy couches and accent brickwork on the long cement wall. Adorning the whole area are original Jagermeister posters along with retro bar signs and colourful prints.

Tucked away at the back you discover another room. Named the Montgomery Room in honour of the building’s original name (The Montgomery Hotel) this area is currently open only on weekends or for private parties. Think of your parents’ Rec Room from 30 years ago. The Montgomery Room features a small home bar in one corner and dark mahogany walls. There’s a large screen for watching the big game as well as dining tables

On December 4th, Yagger’s will celebrate its official opening and everyone is invited to drop by.

Yagger’s is open seven days a week – Monday through Friday from 11:30 a.m. to midnight and on Saturday’s and Sunday’s from 5 p.m. to midnight. For more information, the public is invited to visit Yagger’s web site at www.yaggers.com or give us a call at 604.288.4297.

-end-

433 west pender, vancouver, bc v6b 1v2 t:604.288.4297

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

ho tak kee (sp?) on bargain central 200  block e broadway, great little hk style wonton house  place now gone, what a shame

It's under new ownership/management and called.. New Maple House or something like that. Looks like the same thing before, unless there are changes inside the restaurant.

Sash also has a menu posted outside.. and it seems to be big on casual fare - so far it's appies and sandwiches. Most things are under 10.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Any one heard / typed about Quince  yet.

It`s going to be in the old lesley stowe spot.

In addition to Mooshmouse's post, the most recent cityfood online has a writeup about Quince. Opening date was Nov 18th.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

One of my biggest mistakes in my previous fine dining incarnation was not fighting hard enough to hire andrea jefferson. She has an excellent command of the kitchen, flavours are clean and distinctive, I will definitely frequent quince. Andrea if you are lurking good luck.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

I stopped by to check out Quince and visit Chef Andrea. I think she has a really interesting concept and the space to match it. The large (!) kitchen will work well for the upcoming cooking classes:

1. Kids at Quince - Holiday Baking Class: Sun Dec 18th 10am-2pm (Chef Barb Finley)

2. The Cutting Edge (Knife Skills): Jan 12 6:30-9:30pm

3. The Nine Day Basic - Intensive Techniques for the Serious Amateur: Jan 17/18/19/24/25/26/31 Feb 1/2 - 6:00-9:30pm

4. Specialties of Quince - Food and Wine Pairing Magic: Jan 27 6:30-9:30pm

5. The Secret Recipe - Success for Valentine's Day: Feb 9 6:30-9:30

6. Stocks in Detail: Feb 20 6:30-9:30

Telephone number is 604-731-4645. Location is 1780 W 3rd Ave.

Also here is the updated Cityfood link. The last link provided has been superceded by the most current cityfood online report.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I stopped by to check out Quince and visit Chef Andrea.  I think she has a really interesting concept and the space to match it.  The large (!) kitchen will work well for the upcoming cooking classes:

1.  Kids at Quince - Holiday Baking Class:  Sun Dec 18th 10am-2pm (Chef Barb Finley)

2.  The Cutting Edge (Knife Skills): Jan 12 6:30-9:30pm

3.  The Nine Day Basic - Intensive Techniques for the Serious Amateur: Jan 17/18/19/24/25/26/31 Feb 1/2 - 6:00-9:30pm

4.  Specialties of Quince - Food and Wine Pairing Magic:  Jan 27 6:30-9:30pm

5.  The Secret Recipe - Success for Valentine's Day:  Feb 9 6:30-9:30

6.  Stocks in Detail: Feb 20 6:30-9:30

Telephone number is 604-731-4645.  Location is 1780 W 3rd Ave.

Also here is the updated Cityfood link. The last link provided has been superceded by the most current cityfood online report.

OMG :blink:

I know what I want for Chistmas! Thnks for the info. I recall not being able to find much out from the web site last time I checked and Chef Tony (from NWCAV) mentioned Quince on our last class.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hi, does anyone have any info on the new Kintaro Richmond location? We heard it was open on 3 Road and Westminster.

We drove all around and finally phoned the Denman location. They confirmed the Richmond location and gave us the address of 8291 Westminster Highway. The only thing in there was an Asian steak house and a place called Station 23 Bistro.

Station 23 was closed and looks sort of like a pub. Have I been the victim of a dyslexic address giver or is that the Richmond version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Herb

A new place just opened on Broadway on the block between Main and Kingsway. I believe it is called "The King's Banquet". I didn't get close enough to read the menu. I will report back when I get a better look.

Hi, does anyone have any info on the new Kintaro Richmond location? We heard it was open on 3 Road and Westminster.

We drove all around and finally phoned the Denman location. They confirmed the Richmond location and gave us the address of 8291 Westminster Highway. The only thing in there was an Asian steak house and a place called Station 23 Bistro.

Station 23 was closed and looks sort of like a pub. Have I been the victim of a dyslexic address giver or is that the Richmond version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Herb

Its not yet open and from the looks of it it might be late Dec.

A new place just opened on Broadway on the block between Main and Kingsway. I believe it is called "The King's Banquet". I didn't get close enough to read the menu. I will report back when I get a better look.

I think it's called King and I and it had a picture of a Playing Card (King no doubt). Is this the one you saw? I think they took over an old Chinese restaurant there but the chinese words are still on the window but I couldn't read them ;p

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

With the new Shangri-La and Fairmont Pacific Rim being built, I'm really curious as to the great restaurants that will come with these hotels :biggrin:

Anyone have any ideas?

Virginia Woolf

I think it's called King and I and it had a picture of a Playing Card (King no doubt). Is this the one you saw? I think they took over an old Chinese restaurant there but the chinese words are still on the window but I couldn't read them ;p

That is the place I was thinking of...The King and I. I will have to see if they do take-out. I am always interested in local take-out options.

Just noticed on Granville close to Davie in the Howard Johnson Hotel next to Crush is a hot wing place called Wings. With 12 flavours and .39 cent wings from 2 - 6 pm I'm sure they'll do pretty good there. We went to the other location about a year ago on Main ... thought they were average. But with the news that I just heard that the owners of Hooters are changing names to get rid of the franchise, this maybe the next best fix. Maybe they could put all those uniforms to good use as well ..... :raz:

bloody good question, kontemporary!

And will there be something on the TOP of Shangri-La?

Just noticed on Granville close to Davie in the Howard Johnson Hotel next to Crush is a hot wing place called Wings.  With 12 flavours and .39 cent wings from 2 - 6 pm I'm sure they'll do pretty good there.  We went to the other location about a year ago on Main ...  thought they were average. 

Isn't the one on Main called Wing Nuts?

But with the news that I just heard that the owners of Hooters are changing names to get rid of the franchise, this maybe the next best fix.  Maybe they could put all those uniforms to good use as well .....  :raz:

Well, considering the educational program :rolleyes: on the boob tube :blink: right now, where many of the representatives of some secret Victorian establishment are wearing wings, that might not be a bad name for a remade Hooters. :raz:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Ohh I passed by Sash today (took over Bukowski's on Commercial Drive) and it's very... red. A vivid romantic red, that is. Looks like a good place to take a date.

Virginia Woolf

With the new Shangri-La and Fairmont Pacific Rim being built, I'm really curious as to the great restaurants that will come with these hotels  :biggrin:

Anyone have any ideas?

Hmmm......

From what I see, hotels seem to be leaning towards looking at their restaurants as independent businesses, evaluating their financial statements accordingly. What does this mean? In short, hotels are looking at how much money is coming into the restaurant and how much is going out without subsidizing with rooms or banquet revenues.

Since a hotel restaurant needs to try to make a profit while paying servers $12+ per hour and about $18/hr per host, it can be highly challenging at the end of the day.

However, any 4 or 5 diamond hotel will need a foodservice outlet that can handle the volume that their hotel demands based on the number of rooms. My gut feeling is that the Fairmont Pacific Rim will have one all-day dining restaurant and one bar, likely attached. The Shangri-La, with their reputation for quality, may go the route of having a casual outlet as well as a fine dining room, to allow for a distinction between the environment that serves up the eggs at 7am and the one that serves your Filet at 7pm.

There is no coincidence that hotels have gone the route of having one room open per meal period, or having one dining room, period. The only hotel that I can think of that would have 2 rooms open at the same time is the Pan Pacific, with the 5 Sails and Cafe Pacifica both open for dinner (seasonally).

For those of us that have worked in both independent restaurants as well as hotels, it is amazing how different these two worlds are.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club