• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on eGullet, so please forgive me if this was covered elsewhere, but does anyone know if the House of Selassie on Granville has closed down?

I went there several times this year and very much enjoyed their consistantly fresh, flavourful dishes... unfortunately the restaurant was almost empty on most of my visits.

Emmanuelle

Welcome back, Annette Rawlinson--most recently Annette stepped in to lend Chambar her disciplined hand . . .

Excerpted from the Metropolitan Hotel's press release:

VANCOUVER, BC - Continuing with its tradition of excellence, Diva at the Met is pleased to announce the appointment of Annette Rawlinson as the new Restaurant Manager, effective immediately.

An 18-year veteran of the restaurant business, Rawlinson began her career in Toronto at such destination locales as Franco Prevedelo's Centro Grill and Wine Bar, Aqua, and Oliver & Bonacini's Auberge du Pommier restaurants.

In 1997, she packed up her culinary and restaurant expertise and headed for the west coast where she quickly put her skills to work at C Restaurant. It was here that she led a very successful team as General Manager for five years.

"I've been fortunate to have worked in some exceptional restaurants over the years, and I've come to appreciate the challenges they are presented with," notes Rawlinson. "With so many fine dining places to select from today, the discerning guest continues to demand more. The joy is in taking an award-winning restaurant like Diva at the Met and lifting it to a new level through exceptional service, top-notch cuisine and innovative relationships within the community."

A graduate of the Hotel & Food Program at the University of Guelph and a recipient of Vancouver Magazine's Premier Crew Service Award, Rawlinson continues to apply her knowledge, talent & passion for food and service to all aspects of her life.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

jtcookie,Oct 2 2005, 06:58 PM

Papered-over windows and very little illumination when I went by last night Jamie! Very timely that you should be following up this evening though, as I hear from employees-to-be that the call up was issued tonight, and that the doors will be opening next Friday. Menu and first impressions to follow soon.

John

Looking forward to your report, John.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Last Dollar begets First Quarter

Manny Ferreira's new restaurant in the former Coco Pazzo space will be called Senova. It's named after his hometown in Portugal, but also means 'first quarter', not in the KPMG kind of way, but as in an area of the city. An area of our city, let it be said, where it's notoriously hard to separate the residents from their quarters. David Radler is a neighbour, but recent reports are that he'll be out of town for a while.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Carlos N' Bud's closed about 4 weeks ago.....

I know it wasn't a culinary destination, but there are few better places to sit and drink cold beer on a hot day.

And I will miss my Sweet & Spicy Rib and Chicken Burrito (no beans) combo.......served by someone who remembers my name and forgets my order.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

I know it wasn't a culinary destination, but there are few better places to sit and drink cold beer on a hot day.

And I will miss my Sweet & Spicy Rib and Chicken Burrito (no beans) combo.......served by someone who remembers my name and forgets my order.

No Way! Too bad I kinda liked that place after a long day of paddling.

Add House of Salassie to that list (Ethiopian place next to cheesecake etc on granville)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Restaurant Anthropology

A cleansing ale to the first person who can tell us who the 'Bud' in Carlos and Bud's was. I use the past tense as he has moved on. Here's a hint: he also started Peter's and !Viva!

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

.......served by someone who remembers my name and forgets my order.

I love that line.

The funny thing is Kurtis, is it was true on so many occasions. I am thinking of one server in particular when I say that, as it was a running joke between us. I lived on that patio for so many summers, drinking with friends all day and the staff all night.

Ian McTavish

Restaurant Anthropology

A cleansing ale to the first person who can tell us who the 'Bud' in Carlos and Bud's was. I use the past tense as he has moved on. Here's a hint: he also started Peter's and !Viva!

I remember hearing a story about Bud Kanke and co. bringing the Texas Smoker up from the states for the restaurant and installing it in the restaurant.

David Richards (Watermark) told me that story, but it was many years ago, so I don't remember all the details.

Ian McTavish

The Ocean Club promises to open soon on the West Van bank of the Capilano River. From the sound of their press release, some of us may fail to clear the velvet rope . . .

THE OCEAN CLUB

Vancouver 's Coolest New Restaurant and Lounge

Set to Open December 2005 on the North Shore

West Vancouver , BC - There's a cool breeze blowing onto Vancouver's North Shore and it's coming from The Ocean Club. West Vancouver may be one of the toniest postal codes in Canada, but until now there hasn't been a night scene to meet the needs of some of Canada's coolest (and wealthiest) people.

Opening early December 2005, The Ocean Club introduces a whole new concept to Vancouver night life. Based on the best of Las Vegas and New York, The Ocean Club will feature a restaurant and lounge with the kind of high standards and innovative design that will make it the destination of choice for the "who's who" of Vancouver. Whether people have made it or want to make it, this is the place to see and be seen.

"The Ocean Club will compete with the best of Vancouver for food, service, and atmosphere," says Managing Partner Andre Thomas. "We want this to be a modern gathering place where the dining will be casual but intelligent."

Thomas brings a wealth of experience to his position. In addition to opening the award-winning Fifty Two 80 Bistro at the brand-new Four Seasons Resort Whistler in 2004, Thomas was previously the General Manager of Whistler's top restaurant, Araxi. And he built award-winning wine lists at Four Seasons and the Westin Whistler. He also managed a Liberty Wine Merchant store and worked for Joe Fortes for eight years. He is the perfect guy to implement the latest vision of Derek Pink and Dave Kershaw.

Pink and Kershaw are best known for some of the hottest night spots on the West Coast. Together they own and operate AuBar, Tonic and Stone Temple in Vancouver, and Garfinkel's and the recently-acquired Savage Beagle in Whistler. The Ocean Club is a significant departure from their previous operations and represents a commitment to a much more sophisticated crowd.

Licensed until 3 a.m., The Ocean Club will have an elegant and intimate atmosphere with lots of sex appeal. Sharing is encouraged by a menu that features small plates and reasonable prices (everything under $20). The theme of the menu is Pacific Northwest and the chef is Doug Scott, one of Vancouver's rising culinary stars. Scott was previously the Executive Sous-Chef at Seasons in the Park and also spent time in some of the West Coast's best kitchens including Araxi, Raincity Grill and Ciopinno's.

Tending the bar is one of Canada's most engaging mixologists. Darryl McDonald, formerly of Four Seasons Resort Whistler and Araxi, has been making a name for himself – both for his sensational hand-crafted cocktails and his boyish charm and good looks. McDonald's drinks will be served from a bar designed by Vancouver's M-Studio and patrons will enjoy his creations relaxing in the raised lounge or next to the fireplace on the 800 square foot heated patio on the banks of the Capilano River.

In addition to the restaurant and lounge, the adjacent Oceanside Liquor Store will provide a selection of the best wine and spirits. Both The Ocean Club and the Oceanside Liquor Store are located beside the Park Royal Mall providing plenty of parking and easy access.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Ocean Club?

A pub with attached cold beer and wine store in the mall parking lot next door to a trailer park and it embodies the best of NY and LV nightlife? I love the clueless smalltown optimism in this city.

a night scene to meet the needs of some of Canada's coolest (and wealthiest) people
versus
Sharing is encouraged by a menu that features small plates and reasonable prices (everything under $20).
So they're rich and cool, but it's important to keep the price points down? Okay.

And the brain trust responsible for "smells like frat boy puke Garfinkels" shouldn't reallly be touting their ability to have their fingers on the pulse of what's hip. And shouldn't the Ocean Club actually be near the ocean? If memory serves, in between where the Ocean Club would be located is a trailer park, sewage treatment plant, railroadtracks, off leash dog park and then finally the ocean?

This place already reminds me of Watermark without the view.

And the brain trust responsible for "smells like frat boy puke Garfinkels" shouldn't reallly be touting their ability to have their fingers on the pulse of what's hip. And shouldn't the Ocean Club actually be near the ocean? If memory serves, in between where the Ocean Club would be located is a trailer park, sewage treatment plant, railroadtracks, off leash dog park and then finally the ocean?

Gawd, Keef. Nicely on the money. The Ocean Club is in a crappy location, right under the "Black Tower" in Park Royal South. That being said, the money boys behind it are very well connected to all that glitters in West Vancouver, and though "Ocean" might be a misnomer, I have a feeling that "Club" isn't. Will people cross the bridge for it? Likely not, but West Vancouver's Merc mad legions will go if only to swim in the same gene pool. If I were to suggest anything to Darryl, it would be to get White Zinfandel on tap.

Bring out the Cougs! Grrr. :raz:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Gawd, Keef. Nicely on the money. The Ocean Club is in a crappy location, right under the "Black Tower" in Park Royal South. That being said, the money boys behind it are very well connected to all that glitters in West Vancouver, and though "Ocean" might be a misnomer, I have a feeling that "Club" isn't. Will people cross the bridge for it? Likely not, but West Vancouver's Merc mad legions will go if only to swim in the same gene pool. If I were to suggest anything to Darryl, it would be to get White Zinfandel on tap.

Bring out the Cougs! Grrr. :raz:

Andrew, are you sure that it won't just be full of bussed-in North Van girls looking for men from the "right" postal codes?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Pink and Kershaw are best known for some of the hottest night spots on the West Coast.  Together they own and operate AuBar, Tonic and Stone Temple in Vancouver, and Garfinkel's and the recently-acquired Savage Beagle in Whistler.  The Ocean Club is a significant departure from their previous operations and represents a commitment to a much more sophisticated crowd.

In addition to the restaurant and lounge, the adjacent Oceanside Liquor Store will provide a selection of the best wine and spirits.  Both The Ocean Club and the Oceanside Liquor Store are located beside the Park Royal Mall providing plenty of parking and easy access.

Stone Temple is a great place to go with friends... if you're 17.

This will be the 3rd (possibly more?) place in the area to buy 'wines and spirits'... the liquor store on the north side of the mall and the store at Steamworks. Perhaps they should aim for a niche market - put in a drive-through liquor barn and cold beer emporium.

If I were to suggest anything to Darryl, it would be to get White Zinfandel on tap.

Bring out the Cougs! Grrr.  :raz:

The idea of white zin on tap gives me a cold sweat.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

Andrew, are you sure that it won't just be full of bussed-in North Van girls looking for men from the "right" postal codes?

If they are, then they better drop the alcopops at Tantra and get used to the juice. :wink:

:laugh:

I couldn't think of a fitting alternative to White Zin, thanks :biggrin:

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies