• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Well this past weekend they were slammed again ... big time!  Took my wife & kids there Sunday around 5-ish as a reward for a work-filled weekend around the house.  Saddly, when we got there they were closed!  And had been since sometime on Saturday according to their note, which said they had run out of food, and wouldn't be replenished until Tuesday  :shock:

I am beginning to look foolish here.  This is the third time I've brought my familly for a meal, and the third time they've been closed (granted the first two times Gord wasn't actually open for business).  My oldest said to me "Which do you like better dad? Their imaginary fish & chips or their imaginary soups?"  Sarcasm is so attractive at 13. 

Perhaps we can get your 13 year old to contribute to this thread. He/she might be more credible than some of the shameless touting that we've seen so far.

Perhaps we can get your 13 year old to contribute to this thread. He/she might be more credible than some of the shameless touting that we've seen so far.

That might be usefull, since you've got nothing to contribute.

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

Now, now people.

Lets keep this nice.

My backside is still stinging from the spanking Bux delivered on another thread recently. Nobody wants any moderators sticking their nose in here and telling everybody to cool it.

He/she might be more credible than some of the shameless touting that we've seen so far.

And this means what ?

A couple of failed visits to Go Fish is hardly touting!

I read here that Daddy-A has a genuine interest in getting some fish but Gord's success is a little runaway right now. It is only a small place and can only hold so much fish.

Play nice!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

In my opinion if someone loves a place I want to hear about it. Even if they just want to talk about looking forward to someday eating there. On an other note did anyone hear about the statue disappearing form in front of Star Anise? biggest crime since someone stealing the automated chef from in front of Frank Baker's on Cambie back in the 80's. I hope the VPD take this seriously!

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Well I for one have appreciated Arne's tireless treks to Go Fish, they saved me going down there before it was ready. As far as his 13 year-old is concerned I wonder if he/she is available for ghost (post?) writing, as he/she seems much wittier than I could ever hope to be.

Been to Go Fish for almost every weekend that it's been opened (hubby works on Granville Isl.) Noticed some changes - service still takes forever, but that's what you get when you want it fresh. And they are now starting to remember to add the coleslaw for takeout. The sandwiches don't come with fries anymore (but the prices haven't changed!) They said it took to long for the fries (sandwich is ready way before any of the deep fried stuff). So, if you are in a rush, go for something from the grill, but if you want f&c, expect to wait 15-20 minutes.

Piccolo Mondo becomes Saveur

I went to the soft opening of Saveur (850 Thurlow Street at Smithe) on Sunday evening. Chef Stephane Meyer, the first time I've ever seen him out of his whites, was casually dressed and greeting folks at the door. Guests were mainly old friends of Piccolo Mondo. Michelle Geris and George Baugh handed the restaurant over for next to nothing, and M. Meyer et sa femme have redecorated: painting, hanging fabric dividers, adding a small lounge area with soft furniture near the entrance, and a large communal table in the middle of the room. It's a softer looking room now, but with the same beautiful glassware, cutlery and linen. And Meyer has taken the menu to the left slightly, from Italy, across the Cote d'Azur to a more French-influenced place.

The menu is a three course, $38 prix fixe but you'll be able to order a la carte from it very soon--although at these prices why bother. There are about a half dozen items proposed for each course; here's a random sampling from a highly skilled chef:

Starters

*Mediterranean fish soup (the best in town I think) with saffron ailoi

*Lime-marinated salmon with smoked beach oysters, beet salad, salmon caviar, horseradish

*Seared foie gras, cantaloupe, honeydew, scallions, pistachio, lemon myrtle salt ($5 supplement)

Main Courses

*Lightly smoked sablefish poached in tomato jus,thyme potao boulangere, artichokes, saffron creme fraiche

*Lamb chops, braised lamb shoulder, roast fennel, barley, rosemary jus

*Veal osso buco, potato gnocci, aspparagus

Dessert

*Dark chocolate torte, port ganache centre, red grape compote, whipped cream

*Passion fruit nougat glace, vanill-poached mango, banana chips, dark rum froth

*Almond/hazlenut dacquoise, apple cider caramel ice cream, Fuji apple raisin caviar

*Honey-star anise crem brulee, lemon-marinated fruit, dried carnberry nougatine

*Pistachio cake, bosc pear, Marsala sabayon, pistachio tuile, vanilla bean ice cream

George Baugh's fabulous Italian wine cellar was not part of the bargain; the wine list is French-tilted but with lots of good BC bottles and reasonable by-the-glass prices starting at $5 to $6. I think it's got a good chance to become a neighbourhood favourite, but with destination traffic as well.

Baugh and Geris will concentrate now on their profitable wine importing business. They introduced Farnese to BC a few years ago; reports are that it's back to No. 1 Red with about 50,000 cases sold last year. I marinate things in it all the time; occasionally even friends. They' re lauching a Sicilian white called Feudo d'Elini made from the grillio grape. They'll also be handling a lot of higher end wines.

Bon chance to the two couples in their new roles and adventures.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on Lift ?

I heard any day now about three weeks ago.

Looking forward to "Liftoff"

Does anyone have the inside track on this ?

Not opening soon - December 15th at the earliest.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the soft opening of Saveur (850 Thurlow Street at Smithe) on Sunday evening. Chef Stephane Meyer, the first time I've ever seen him out of his whites, was casually dressed and greeting folks at the door. Guests were mainly old friends of Piccolo Mondo. Michelle Geris and George Baugh handed the restaurant over for next to nothing, and M. Meyer et sa femme have redecorated: painting, hanging fabric dividers, adding a small lounge area with soft furniture near the entrance, and a large communal table in the middle of the room. It's a softer looking room now, but with the same beautiful glassware, cutlery and linen. And Meyer has taken the menu to the left slightly, from Italy, across the Cote d'Azur to a more French-influenced place.

The menu is a three course, $38 prix fixe but you'll be able to order a la carte from it very soon--although at these prices why bother. There are about a half dozen items proposed for each course; here's a random sampling from a highly skilled chef:

Starters

*Mediterranean fish soup (the best in town I think) with saffron ailoi

*Lime-marinated salmon with smoked beach oysters, beet salad, salmon caviar, horseradish

*Seared foie gras, cantaloupe, honeydew, scallions, pistachio, lemon myrtle salt ($5 supplement)

Main Courses

*Lightly smoked sablefish poached in tomato jus,thyme potao boulangere, artichokes, saffron creme fraiche

*Lamb chops, braised lamb shoulder, roast fennel, barley, rosemary jus

*Veal osso buco, potato gnocci, aspparagus

Dessert

*Dark chocolate torte, port ganache centre, red grape compote, whipped cream

*Passion fruit nougat glace, vanill-poached mango, banana chips, dark rum froth

*Almond/hazlenut dacquoise, apple cider caramel ice cream, Fuji apple raisin caviar

*Honey-star anise crem brulee, lemon-marinated fruit, dried carnberry nougatine

*Pistachio cake, bosc pear, Marsala sabayon, pistachio tuile, vanilla bean ice cream

George Baugh's fabulous Italian wine cellar was not part of the bargain; the wine list is French-tilted but with lots of good BC bottles and reasonable by-the-glass prices starting at $5 to $6. I think it's got a good chance to become a neighbourhood favourite, but with destination traffic as well.

Baugh and Geris will concentrate now on their profitable wine importing business. They introduced Farnese to BC a few years ago; reports are that it's back to No. 1 Red with about 50,000 cases sold last year. I marinate things in it all the time; occasionally even friends. They' re lauching a Sicilian white called Feudo d'Elini made from the grillio grape. They'll also be handling a lot of higher end wines.

Bon chance to the two couples in their new roles and adventures.

Jamie,

Do you know if Saveur is open for lunch?

Eric

MENU EDITED

Jamie,

Do you know if Saveur is open for lunch?

Eric

Eric,

I doubt that they're open for lunch. In fact this morning there was no answer or message at the old Piccolo Mondo number (688-1633), nor was there a new number available at directory assistance. I'll circle by later today to see what's up.

But presuming they're open for dinner, I'll be very interested to hear your feedback.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Finally got to Go Fish. I really liked the staff and my Oyster Poor Boy. The guy who seems to be in charge is a real food lover. He knew where everything came from,and how it was prepared. The oysters were grilled instead of deep fried, they came off the boat about 50 yards away. Juicy and fresh they came with sauteed onions and a pepper mayo. The fried fish also looked great, it was served in a steamer basket. Amazing what a place can do if they give a sh!t.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Lift Bar and Grill

The much anticipated restaurant on the water in front of the Bayshore has acheived permit status and should open before Christmas.

I have toured the site and it is a stunning room and with Keith Krentz and Dave Jorgenson manning the fires the food should be first rate. With three or four months to sort out the kinks before Patio season it could be "the" summer restaurant of 2005 (and beyond?).

Check out the website http://www.liftbarandgrill.com/ for more details.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Interesting that they have gone the Riedel "O" glass route to serve their wines.

Is that "O" as in "O No - I forgot the stem ?"

• 2 weeks later...
Lift tomorrow (Dec23rd) for dinner. Oh, and there are no pictures of boat houses that I could see - could see real boat houses though.

if anyone wants to write about lift over the holidays i'd appreciate you getting in touch with me before waiterblog goes public january 1st. i'm isolated on the island until new years eve and won't be able to go....if anybody goes and can put pen to paper without having an embolism and is eye-high in the christmas spirit of charity and goodwill...give me a shout as i'd truly appreciate it.

my posts should dwindle over the next few days, so i just want to wish you all a very merry christmas. eat well, drink better. play safe.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

• 1 month later...

OPENING SOON

BC Restaurant Industry News

Ah, January, the time of snow, monsoon, occasional sunshine, early daffodils, and rapid restaurant change. Read on . . .

Downtown Vancouver

WHEN GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE DEPT.

Upon his return from Lyon, France where he’s once again attending the Bocuse d’Or culinary competition (but this time as a judge—Team Canada placed 8th under chefs Morgan Wilson and Ryan Stone from the Marriott Pinnacle), Michael Noble (ex-Four Seasons Hotel, Metropolitan Hotel and Catch, Calgary), will join Earls as Head of Culinary Development. After an introductory tour of Earls and affiliated properties throughout Canada and the U.S., Noble’s first launch will occur shortly at Paramount Place. “Everyone in the Earl’s organization is thrilled,” Stan Fuller, the president of Earls told us today. “We chose Michael and he chose us.”

Noble, in addition to pioneering the renaissance of our local cuisine via the aggressive sourcing of local ingredients, is also rightly known for the formidable apprenticeship and mentoring programs he implemented at the various properties noted above.

We recently reported in Vancouver the westward movement of the new-build downtown restaurant nexus. Where restaurants sprouted along the Yaletown corridors over the past decade, there’s movement back to Robson and especially Alberni, spurred by the potential footfall traffic generated by the Shangri-la and Paramount Place multi-use developments. The Granville Mall remains the Great Divide for quality dining. So watch carefully the former Bruce fashion space on Alberni (just west of Burrard). There are some exciting designs for a 200+ seat CFD restaurant and bar in the clear-span space—nails bang shortly for a planned Labour Day launch. More news soon.

Nearby, Romy Prassad, ex-executive chef at Jack Evrensel’s CinCin, is refreshing the second-floor former Settebello space. With partner Dee Anand, he plans to open the to-be-named restaurant before spring break.

Replacing Prassad at CinCin will be Andreas Wechselberger, previously executive sous at CinCin and prior, executive chef at Teatro, Calgary, where he replaced Mission Hills’ Michael Allemeier.

Perhaps the solution for the Granville Mall will be the proposed refurb of the 900-block, continuing south from the recently revamped 800-block, now recast in retail, restaurant and office space. With the Capital Six slated for redevelopment (on the podium: Orpheum extension, rehearsal hall and music school) with a large-scale residential tower above. Farther north of The Bay, The 440-suite Hudson, again with commercial and other amenities at street level, should combine to offer the city both more centrally-located restaurant opportunities and the night-time street life that drives them.

False Creek

Harry Kambolis, the quietly successful proprietor of Raincity Grill, has inked the lease to Riley’s, the well-located but under-used False Creek space just a smoked octopus’s throw from that gem called C. Concept is being refined, menu developed, but look for an informal approach to seafood and more—watch this space . . . .

Whistler

Meanwhile at Whistler, CinCin sib Araxi’s exec chef James Walt decamps for a year to Rome. Replacing him is Andrew Richardson, formerly opening sous chef at West in 2001, and then Carter House Inn in California. Richardson also worked at Cioppino’s and Sooke Harbour House.

Yaletown

LilyKate—a 2,700 square foot restaurant (70 indoor seats in dark wood, espresso-coloured banquettes and a zinc bar; 35 patio) and shop—will open February 7th at 1265 Hamilton Street (604-687-5885). Offering “the comfort food people long for and crave”, proprietor Britta Joyce will show a home style menu of mac and cheese, meatloaf, and apple-stuffed pork chops from exec chef Elke Brandstatter. Pastry chef Carley Makela will offer pecan sticky buns, whoopee pies, German chocolate cake and New York cheesecake. The shop will feature pastries, foods, prepped meals and quality condiments.

At Bluewater, Chef Frank Pabst has launched (suspended during Dine Out) a 7-course “Unsung Heroes” menu that celebrates many of our under-recognized coastal species such as anchovies, mackerel, sardines, sea urchin, sea urchin, geoduck, cuttlefish, squid and periwinkles. Sounds an interesting bargain at $79, runs until February 28th; individual tasting plates are available--I'll take mine at the bar with some neat Smirnoff--it won this week's New York Times tasting against all the big quadruple-filtered boys.

Wine Country

Driving from Kelowna to Sun Peaks for the annual Ice Wine Festival last weekend, Mission Hill’s Director of Sales Ingo Grady proudly shared some news: Mission Hill’s Anthony von Mandl will soon become the first Canadian president of the International Wine and Spirit Competition, an accolade indeed. Other notables who have served the position include Baroness Philippine de Rothschild, Robert Mondavi and Wolf Blass (and you thought it was just another crafty marketing brand). Von Mandl knows the competition well—it was a Mission Hill chardonnay (winemaker John Simes first vintage, a 1992, in fact) that won the IWSC’s Avery Trophy for Best Chardonnay in the World, at the London competition in 1994.

Famously, the French judges at that competition professed an inability to pronounce the word Okanagan let alone know how to spell it. They insisted on a re-tasting. Mission Hill won again.

The best of the wine dinners was at The Val, where Grady (Mission Hills and Gehringer Bros. co-hosted) and I ate some well-prepped tuna and a hearty turn of duck. Nice job.

Kelowna’s Bouchons Restaurant near Prospera Place plays to packed houses most nights. It’s from the same Richard and Martine Toussaint who used to run Vancouver’s Café de Paris and short-lived Cyrano, now occupied by CRU; chef André Bernier pushes out quality bistro food with plate bending accessories, often including miniature vegetable timabales, terrines, scalloped potatoes or good frites. You might not often associate the words bistro with vegan, but a call-ahead request for one of our guests showed a four-course vegetable tasting menu laden with flavour—a tough stunt at this time of year. Free advice: Order the satisfying cabbage and bacon soup.

The attractively designed next-door Waterside Wine Bar (it’s not) offers many by-the-glass locals and a short menu. The only caveat—nearby parking spaces are few, especially on hockey nights. Bundle up.

Pierre-Jean Martin and his wife Sandrine Raffault have opened La Boulangerie, a day-only room in a former fast food taco space on Lakeshore just south of KLO. Restorative soups, quiches and husky sandwiches en baguette and a terrific retinue of pastries and breads. Martin uses only French flour, by the way, and the drive-thru window raises obvious and attractive questions.

La Bussola has moved west into new downtown premises. Scampi and veal rate well, pastas well-made, solid cellar.

Farther south, Joie is changing its name to reflect that accommodation will only be available for folks attending its cooking school this season.

Other Business

The BC Restaurant and Foodservices Association (BCRFA) recently announced the first inductees to its new BC Restaurant Hall of Fame.

Herewith, their press release:

“We founded the Hall of Fame to celebrate and promote excellence in BC’s culinary traditions and pay tribute to the outstanding individuals, past and present, who have shaped this vibrant industry,” said Richard Floody, Chair of the BC Restaurant and Foodservices Association.

“British Columbia ’s restaurant scene is one of the most dynamic in North America , if not the world and we are proud to honour those who have made it the success it is today,” said Bing Smith, Chair of the BC Restaurant Hall of Fame Committee.

Leading the list of the first 16 BC Restaurant Hall of Fame inductees are Erwin Doebeli of the William Tell and Umberto Menghi of Umberto’s who were named in the Active Category, which celebrates the exceptional restaurateur who is currently active in the BC restaurant industry.

Inductees in the four categories (Active, Pioneer, Industry, Friend of the Industry) are:

Active

Celebrating exceptional restaurateurs currently active in the BC restaurant industry.

· Erwin Doebeli: The William Tell

· Umberto Menghi: Umberto’s

Pioneer

Pioneers of the BC restaurant industry, either retired or deceased.

· Hy Aisenstat: HY’s Steakhouse

· Nat Bailey: White Spot

· Frank Baker: The Attic

· Mario Corsi: Park Royal Hotel and Corsi Trattoria

· Frank & Eva Iaci: Iaci’s

· Mike McLaughlin: Old House Restaurant, Comox

· Louis Stervinou: Devonshire Seafood House and Ondines

· Peter Szasz: Szasz Restaurant

· George Tidball: Keg Restaurants

· Joe Troll: Troll’s Restaurant

Industry Award

Individual—retired, deceased or active—who is or has been a chef, server, manager, bartender and who has demonstrated exceptional professionalism working in the restaurant industry. These individuals will be recognized for making their restaurant a special experience for customers.

Back of House·

Bruno Marti: Chef/Owner, La Belle Auberge

Front of House

Ann Bentley: General Manager, Aqua Riva

Friend of the Industry

An individual who has provided exceptional support to the restaurant industry – either a supplier, restaurant reporter, or politician who has consistently supported BC’s restaurant industry.

· Harry McWatters: Sumac Ridge Winery

· Peter Whittall: Neptune Food Service

Inductees were chosen by a panel of 50 judges made up of industry leaders from throughout the province.

The Hall of Fame presentations will be made during a special industry celebration on March 7, 2005 at BC Place Stadium. The permanent home of the BC Restaurant Hall of Fame will be at the new Center of Excellence in Hospitality at the downtown campus of Vancouver Community College .

Limited tickets available.

TO PURCHASE TICKETS: call Kathy Rutherford at (604) 669-2239 or (800) 663-4482.

It was, as they say, an honour to be nominated, but certainly more befitting that the longtime vets mentioned above be given their just desserts. Congratulations to all.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

whoopee pies?

And this is probably a stupid question, but I'll not let that deter me. Is West in the space (or hell, even the same block) that Szasz was?

you are correct. Same spot

Gianni Picchi was there in between until some GST issues caught him up. After cooking at The Stump Lake Ranch and The Beach Side in West Vancouver, he's now rumoured to have struck out--on his own again, that is.

There were some amazing souvenirs when he renovated the old Szasz's space, including a perfectly petrified tray of food including a plate of goulash, circa 1961, although carbon-dating is notoriously unreliable when it comes to paprika.

And while on the subject of carbon-dating, the Szasz's were cousins of the fabulous Gabor sisters, who could be espied, from time to time, taking a traditional Euro-weiner or two in the back room.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

whoopee pies?

Keith,

I may have got the spelling wrong. Instead of 'whoopee' as in the old Krak-a-Joke cushions that replicated flatulent barnyard sounds when your maiden-Aunt Florence sat down for Christmas dinner (remember, she was quite capable of her own replications after three loads of turkey, Brussels sprouts, and the second helping of mince pie), it may actually be spelled 'whoopie', i.e. that what dear Auntie Flo had never made, perhaps for the reason cited above.

Semantically yours,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Thankyou Jamie for the news.

My vote goes to George Tidball

I think I have an even more curious inkling to check out Earls, I was wondering where Michael Noble was??

What is the latest on this, is there a press release???

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Jamie; I worked at the Armoury restaurant with Jack fuller and Chef Henry Bachman, a great kitchen and front of house staff, many years later many front of house staff work for Earls.

The front of house staff at the armoury all were very good, it was one of the best crews I have worked with.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook