• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Just noticed on Granville close to Davie in the Howard Johnson Hotel next to Crush is a hot wing place called Wings.  With 12 flavours and .39 cent wings from 2 - 6 pm I'm sure they'll do pretty good there.  We went to the other location about a year ago on Main ...  thought they were average.    But with the news that I just heard that the owners of Hooters are changing names to get rid of the franchise, this maybe the next best fix.  Maybe they could put all those uniforms to good use as well .....  :raz:

The one on Main is Wing Nuts. It's different from Wings.

I believe the Wings in downtown is the same as the Wings in Surrey. They might even have their Wings of Fire on the menu...

just opened 1100 block of denman capstone tea, offering bubble tea and believe it or not fondue, fusion at its very best

The Capstone on Robson has done well. The Chocolate fondue buffet has been through the white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate. They settled on dark chocolate being the best choice. The new menu which was released a couple days ago, spiffy.

I took some photos of the Robson store some time ago and posted them on my blog and flickr sites respectively:

BLOG / Flickr

Considering that the Capstone on Denman is practically next door to another tea house (Infuze), I wonder how they'll do. Also wonder if the ownership of the Infuse is a bit rattled by the competition. I do believe they hit different segments tho, I prefer Capstone's Rooibos over Infuze's.

We'll find out...

A place called "Chungdam Izakaya" is going in where the Foo Faa recently closed down - tucked in on Cardero just off Robson.

also posted from the Best restaurants in the West End? thread...

Mooshmouse and D90, thanks for the input on Black Tuna.  Mixed reviews means I'll leave it to my own whim whether I check it out or not (sustainability issues aside, poor service like that is  major peeve).

And Foo Faa has indeed closed (I mentioned it in Openings and Closings).  In its place is Chungdam Izakaya - not open yet but I'll be intrigued to try it once it is.

I was sad to see FooFaa close. When they originally opened up, I loved the hotpot idea. When I got back from my out-of-country requirement last year, it had changed to a Thai restaurant. The staff was really nice, they gave those in my party hand-made pouches which were like those wallets you hang from your neck. Very touching.

I've seen Chungdam come up in the same as of late and have been snapping pics from the inside and out.

74872710_6eb911071e.jpg

Ate there for the first time last Friday. The food is good, large servings. It's a Japanese restaurant owned by Koreans. The owner's son, Michael, tells me that they also own the Korean restaurant on Robson 'cross from Capers.

Here's some pics: Flickr.

The place has been packed eveytime I've been there so far. Looks like they have a good following and will do well.

Keywords: Chungdam, Vancouver, Robson, Cardero, West End

On the west side of Granville at about 64th-ish in Marpole there appears to be a place called Chasey's (or something like that) opening soon. I believe the location used to be a panagopolous pizza.

Anyway, the sign said something compelling-sounding about burgers and used the word "fresh."

Sorry for all the vagueness, but I was driving after all.

:unsure:

Anyone got scoop?

I drove into town today past 1st and Commercial and noticed that a Restaurant called "The Red Burrito" was opening up on the south east corner.  Go Mexico!  Does anyone have any details?

Yes, there's a bunch of information upthread. It starts around post #429.

k.

A place called "Chungdam Izakaya" is going in where the Foo Faa recently closed down - tucked in on Cardero just off Robson.

I was sad to see FooFaa close. When they originally opened up, I loved the hotpot idea. When I got back from my out-of-country requirement last year, it had changed to a Thai restaurant. The staff was really nice, they gave those in my party hand-made pouches which were like those wallets you hang from your neck. Very touching.

I've seen Chungdam come up in the same as of late and have been snapping pics from the inside and out.

74872710_6eb911071e.jpg

Ate there for the first time last Friday. The food is good, large servings. It's a Japanese restaurant owned by Koreans. The owner's son, Michael, tells me that they also own the Korean restaurant on Robson 'cross from Capers.

Here's some pics: Flickr.

The place has been packed eveytime I've been there so far. Looks like they have a good following and will do well.

Keywords: Chungdam, Vancouver, Robson, Cardero, West End

I can’t wait to try this place after seeing your pictures thanks =), but first I have to hit up Nu this Monday and then Chungdam looks like a must. Your pictures remind me a little of Chopstick Cafe before their quality, and size of portions diminished.

• 1 year later...

I know on good authority that there was quite a scuffle with the landlord (a notorious slum landlord) and he insisted that the "for rent" sign be posted in what could be considered a form of blackmail. Rest assured, however, that the matter has been settled legally and they will be staying there for another 3 years. The owners of Coco et Olive basically rebuilt the inside of the space as is it was in such disrepair. It would be unfortunate to see it disappear after so much hard work and sad for the neighborhood who would loose one of its most popular spots to yet another greedy landlord. Power to the little micro business people who keep this city less mainstream and put their souls into making somewhere special for people to hang out and eat simple good food.

• 4 weeks later...

Think it's a little late to ask. But there was this bakery that I liked to go to for their giant cheese sticks on Lonsdale Quay. It seems that they were replaced some time ago by a Cobs. Does anyone know which place I'm talking about, it was a pretty big bakery on the ground level, not that far from the washroom.

[Host's note: to minimise the load on our servers, this topic has been split.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)