• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Seems like a fish taco craze is hitting Vancouver! Here's Lolita's Website, or at least the beginning works of it.

Too bad Nu's opening is invitation-only.. but I'm sure many diners are expecting nothing but the best.

Could it be that Alexandra Gill is an egullet-lurker?! :laugh:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Well, this isn't a restaurant closing, but the liquor store on Granville and 10th is closing on the 20th. Not happy about that because it's only three blocks from where I live  :sad:

yeah, heard that too - SOB! it was really handy when debarking from the B-line to walk home. When I spoke to one of the clerks there, they only got 2 weeks notice and didn't even know where they'll be working afterwards.

Now I gotta join the masses at the Arbutus location. Oh well, at least the selection is relatively much better.

Dude, my office is right above the store - they know me by name. Slow Friday afternoon in ad sales? The VanMag reps are boozin' at the office. We're going to have to call Dial-A-Bottle now.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

gastown curry as north on cambie as can be in gastown is now black frog pub, regular pub grub menu, kinda cursed location in the last yeara nd a half was a japanese resto then indian now this, its just about a half block away from a decent location

Sort of within this topic :unsure: (I hope)......

What's with Red in a few fairly new or reinvented restaurant names?

Red Door

Red Fort

Red Star

Red Pepper

Just found it sort of interesting. :rolleyes:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

From my ever vigilant wife ....

Scuie (pronounced Shoo-ey) is opening at the SW corner of Howe & Pender. Sign says "Italian street food" (?). Lots of workers, no definite opening date.

Any inside info?

A.

From my ever vigilant wife ....

Scuie (pronounced Shoo-ey) is opening at the SW corner of Howe & Pender.  Sign says "Italian street food" (?).  Lots of workers, no definite opening date.

Any inside info?

A.

No inside news here, but I walked by on the way home and they claim to have a website: www.scuie.ca. I didn't find anything when I tried it. I did learn that scuie is supposedly the Italian version of tapas.

I also walked by the Saltlik site on Alberni. The sign out front says they are hiring and will be open in September but the windows are still covered with brown paper so there is nothing to see.

Cheers,

Anne

random, in the west end, has closed it's doors.  the windows are now papered up and there's new color on the walls (from what i could see above the paper line).  i got word last night that an ex-bin staff is opening a mexican fusion spot called lolita's.  apparently they will open their doors to serve tacos and beer this weekend to meet the locals and grand opening is slated for august 14.  looking forward to checking this out as it's around the corner from me!

I was actually quite fond of Random; the food and the people compensated for the tiny uncozy room. Is the Random crew setting up shop elsewhere or was that it for them?

random, in the west end, has closed it's doors.  the windows are now papered up and there's new color on the walls (from what i could see above the paper line).  i got word last night that an ex-bin staff is opening a mexican fusion spot called lolita's.  apparently they will open their doors to serve tacos and beer this weekend to meet the locals and grand opening is slated for august 14.  looking forward to checking this out as it's around the corner from me!

I was actually quite fond of Random; the food and the people compensated for the tiny uncozy room. Is the Random crew setting up shop elsewhere or was that it for them?

As far as I know, that was it for them. I was told the chef is working at a private club in Vancouver, not sure which one, and Josh is doing something else now apparently.

Cheers,

Anne

Mira Yaletown apparently has closed down - they were emptying out the place today.  Any idea what is coming in its place? 

Cheers!

It is very few restaurants that can't make it in Yaletown :

Mangiamo ( Circolo )

Century Grill ( Blue Water )

Don't Show the Elephant : recently empty

Farrago ( Brix )

Milan's : very short lived

and now Mira

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

failures seem not to detract anyone from Yaletown. I saw restaurant equipment going into the space south of Lilykate (in between Lilykate and Automotive -Hamilton Street) No signs on the outside...anyone with some insights?

Rumor (and this is truly rumor) that Mini dealership in Yaletown is not renewing their space and a number of well known restraunteurs have taken a look. Again- insights?

Mark James has/close to having his application oked for having 2 stories (work/live condos) added to his Yaletown location (mainland. Hamilton @ Helmcken) -I've noticed that currently there is a fairly substantial amount of mechanical on the roof; does anyone know if the addition will cause the restaurant to be shut? or will business carry on during construction?

Saltlik's doors were open (literally but not in terms of an on-going business) on Alberni on Friday -it looks like there is still some very substantial work to take place. It appeared they were working on drywall. I would wager that they will not open in September.

Helmcken & Richards -at the moment, IMO, still a rather unfortunate corner and the evening clientale is not really into dining. There was the Montenegro Tapas (in the space that I think was formerly occupied by the Cozy Cafe). Montenegros was extremely short lived but it seems another entrenpreneur is willing to give the location a go and was busy do renovations to the space over the last few days.

failures seem not to detract anyone from Yaletown.  I saw restaurant equipment going into the space south of Lilykate (in between Lilykate and Automotive -Hamilton Street)  No signs on the outside...anyone with some insights?It will be called "Diner". A woman named Heather is the owner and primary builder. It seems to be taking quite some time to build but is showing progress.

Rumor (and this is truly rumor) that Mini dealership in Yaletown is not renewing their space and a number of well known restraunteurs have taken a look.  Again- insights?This is the rumour that won't go away. I have heard the Mini has renewed the lease but still rumours about restaurants going in there are swirling

Mark James has/close to having his application oked for having 2 stories (work/live condos) added to his Yaletown location (mainland. Hamilton @ Helmcken)  -I've noticed that currently there is a fairly substantial amount of mechanical on the roof;  does anyone know if the addition will cause the restaurant to be shut?  or will business carry on during construction? I would imagine a bit of disruption just because of relocation of exhaust and chimneys

Saltlik's doors were open (literally but not in terms of an on-going business) on Alberni on Friday -it looks like there is still some very substantial work to take place.  It appeared they were working on drywall.  I would wager that they will not open in September.

Helmcken & Richards -at the moment, IMO,  still a rather unfortunate corner and the evening clientale is not really into dining.  There was the Montenegro Tapas (in the space that I think was formerly occupied by the Cozy Cafe).  Montenegros was extremely short lived but it seems another entrenpreneur is willing to give the location a go and was busy do renovations to the space over the last few days.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Minna and Jean-Yves Benoit's (ex-L'Emotion) bistro, Mistral, is scheduled to open Thursday, September 8th on the West Side. More details to follow.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

K. Ken the new Thai place on Cornwall beside Starbucks (just off Yew) is open. They are apparently the first Canadian branch of a 200 store chain from Thailand.

The food is not bad at all. We had Yum Woonsen (saw it going out and said "one of those please") It's a warm salad of glass noodles with minced pork and prawns $6.95. Very tasty, with nice bright lime, and cilantro flavours. Spring Rolls- ok. The Pad Eggplant with Chicken was also very good with lots of chicken and eggplant $7.50 (all the portions and prices are great) ! The Green Curry Chicken was a little too much on the coconut-milky side for my taste but still good with lots of content.

Ask for more heat if you are so inclined as they are geared towards the N. American palate.

If they keep it up they will be my new fav for Thai takeout. My bet is that this cursed spot will finally have a keeper.

Library Square Public House opened near.. the library (Fox n Firkin location? ..not sure) Also not sure how long this place has been around, but haven't noticed it until recently. Only information I found was on the Georgia Straight, with a fairly recent article.

Cross-cultural quaffing

By judith lane and angela murrills

Publish Date: 18-Aug-2005

Picture this: opera-goers and bookworms coexisting with sports fans at the new Library Square Public House (300 West Georgia Street). With two successful pubs under its belt (Bimini’s and Denman Street Free House), Donnelly Hospitality is on track to succeed where others haven’t. A sophisticated taupe, black, and nickel colour scheme underscores the public-house designation (more formal than a straight-up pub), and pool tables and acres of wide-screen TVs cater to the sports-minded. Some of the 12 taps? Stella, Russell, Granville Island, and Heineken; public-house fare runs to salmon salads, burgers, beef dips, and a dessert trolley.

Original Article

Virginia Woolf

Zizanie (7th and Fir) has closed.

Awwww :( I guess they couldn't compete with the expanding Frenchies chain..

On the other hand, Salade de Fruits is opening up very soon with the new chef/owner.

Edited by rêvasser (log)

Virginia Woolf