• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Recently heard that Ken Bogas's Coco Pazzo has closed. . .

Unfortunately the room itself was loud and precluded any conversation whatsoever. I used to joke that the only people who ate there on a regular basis where those whose marriage was in trouble - you couldn't talk to each other even if you wanted to.

Coco Pazzo has indeed closed and the proprietor, who also closed Mangiamo and Saltimbocca (the unpaid architect at the time said "Bogas by name and by nature"), reportedly left a number of supliers on the hook, apparently including one local winery for five large. The bailiff's sign on the door says that $22,000 is owing on back rent; Bogas tells a different story.

The crowd often resembled a Crofton House PTA meeting--with Hermes scarves aflutter, alligator shirts and Polo aftershave aplenty. Many of them had long decamped for Henry's Kitchen at half the price and fine dining in Greater Kerrisdale is once again no more.

Hey, the wife and I ate at Coco Pazzo and as far as I know our relationship is healthy... The hard walls did lead to loud conversations, but I liked the room's feel nonetheless (well except for the open kitchen). There were some well made up couples dining there for sure, but I also saw a couple younger families there on occasion, and when 8-10 year old kids are enjoying that type of food it makes up for the bronzed but aging trophy wife sitting two tables down.

I am sad to see it go, it was one of the decent options close to home. However, I suppose it a not surprise given the signs leading up to this point. (Many many promotions and long-time staff leaving.)

not sure if coffee bars qualify here but java express 1st and commercial even though its damned competitive down there it always seemed full of what seemed to be loyal die-hards and maybe this could be a new topic started , called "start the egg-timer places soon to close" but was by ohana hawaiian bbq the other day and place was empty with chef sititing out front with what appeared think to be other staff, never a good sign!

Word on the street in Victoria is that Elephant & Castle are pulling out of the Bay (Former Eaton's) Centre after many years and Earl's will be taking their place.

Last summer the only chain place right downtown was Milestone's and the Keg. Now there is Ric's Grill and Cactus Club. Earl's? Victoria isn't that big. Something has to give ...

... oh yeah, the smaller restaurants.

-- Matt.

Perhaps this is a touch off topic, but may be of some interest to Victoria residents. It was very interesting to me, for sure!

Chef Jeff Keenliside (Cafe Brio, Shelter, Apres) has moved from Fire & Water at the Marriott to the Oak Bay Marina restaurant as exec. chef.

He has been replaced by Chef Andrew Dickinson (former exec chef at Hugo's), who was the restaurant sous-chef for the last year or so.

Not exactly an opening or a closing, but close. ;)

-- Matt.

Recently heard that Ken Bogas's Coco Pazzo has closed. . .

Unfortunately the room itself was loud and precluded any conversation whatsoever. I used to joke that the only people who ate there on a regular basis where those whose marriage was in trouble - you couldn't talk to each other even if you wanted to.

Coco Pazzo has indeed closed and the proprietor, who also closed Mangiamo and Saltimbocca (the unpaid architect at the time said "Bogas by name and by nature"), reportedly left a number of supliers on the hook, apparently including one local winery for five large. The bailiff's sign on the door says that $22,000 is owing on back rent; Bogas tells a different story.

The crowd often resembled a Crofton House PTA meeting--with Hermes scarves aflutter, alligator shirts and Polo aftershave aplenty. Many of them had long decamped for Henry's Kitchen at half the price and fine dining in Greater Kerrisdale is once again no more.

Hey, the wife and I ate at Coco Pazzo and as far as I know our relationship is healthy... The hard walls did lead to loud conversations, but I liked the room's feel nonetheless (well except for the open kitchen). There were some well made up couples dining there for sure, but I also saw a couple younger families there on occasion, and when 8-10 year old kids are enjoying that type of food it makes up for the bronzed but aging trophy wife sitting two tables down.

I am sad to see it go, it was one of the decent options close to home. However, I suppose it a not surprise given the signs leading up to this point. (Many many promotions and long-time staff leaving.)

I heard a rumour last night that the landlord had already signed a lease with another restauranteur before the door was locked - but it could not be confirmed who. Also - as I pray this could be true - another at the table mentioned that Andrey Durbach had been by to check out the space. ANOTHER PARKSIDE IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD!!! If only. Anyone have the true story??

Gastronomista

Bravo on Davie is finally dead. Now it is something like Theresa's Family Restaurant. Breakfast specials sign in window $4.95.

Cafe Rio, down the street, has been taken over by the folks from Ethical Bean.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Don't get me wrong or anything, I fully support same-sex marriages, adoption, and equality, but I just find it a bit humourous to open a restaurant such as "Theresa's Family Restaurant" on Davie :laugh:

Edited by rêvasser (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Cafe Rio, down the street, has been taken over by the folks from Ethical Bean.

Oh good! Anytime I've been in Langley (all 4 of them in the last 5 years :raz: ) I've managed to grab a coffee at EB. Nice place ... pretty good coffee too.

A.

I heard a rumour last night that the landlord had already signed a lease with another restauranteur before the door was locked - but it could not be confirmed who.  Also - as I pray this could be true - another at the table mentioned that Andrey Durbach had been by to check out the space.  ANOTHER PARKSIDE IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD!!!  If only.  Anyone have the true story??

My heart skips a beat...

I saw Andrey that night and he said that they were not successful in getting the spot. Too bad as they would have done very well in that location - they have and great product and reputation.

Before Neil crushes it with his informed-ness.

Seriously, though, someone must have some insight on the space. Jamie?

random, in the west end, has closed it's doors. the windows are now papered up and there's new color on the walls (from what i could see above the paper line). i got word last night that an ex-bin staff is opening a mexican fusion spot called lolita's. apparently they will open their doors to serve tacos and beer this weekend to meet the locals and grand opening is slated for august 14. looking forward to checking this out as it's around the corner from me!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

There is a rumor floating around Kerrisdale that the store on the north-west corner of 41st and the Boulevard has been leased by Linda Meinhardt. Anyone know if it is true?

Hi Karole, your story about how a thrift store ended up on the corner of 41st and Arbutus is quite true! Great stuff huh! Guess that landlords not too popular...

I don't think that Linda is going in to that location as she is still tweeking Picnic and has some plans for remodeling the store as well, but I will ask her as I should see her in the next week or so. Cate

I passed by the location on the way to work this morning - it's a Sleep Country now :sad: I was hoping the Meinhardt rumor would be true...

It's the end of an era folks ... the end of that one establishment that added a small touch of "street" to our little hamlet ... a place we could proudly say had been adopted by gangsta's around the world ...

Phô Bich Nga is no more!

Drove by there today and a new sign is in place. Still a phô place, but it's just not the same. :sad:

A.

It's the end of an era folks ... the end of that one establishment that added a small touch of "street" to our little hamlet ... a place we could proudly say had been adopted by gangsta's around the world ...

Phô Bich Nga is no more!

Drove by there today and a new sign is in place.  Still a phô place, but it's just not the same. :sad:

A.

i know! we noticed that a couple of weeks ago and were so sad because we still hadn't eaten there yet :sad:

Quentina