• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Akbar's Own 1905 W Broadway-a true neighbourhood gem-is closed until sometime in July.

The building they're in is undergoing some much needed renovations.

True gem indeed - one of my favourites in the neighbourhood (disclosure: I have worked with them). They will re-open with an expanded dining room. Any news on what's going in beside them? I don't think Akbar's is taking over the whole space.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

True gem indeed - one of my favourites in the neighbourhood (disclosure: I have worked with them).  They will re-open with an expanded dining room.  Any news on what's going in beside them?  I don't think Akbar's is taking over the whole space.

I have no inside info but I know that space right on the corner has been 'under-performing' for decades now-and there must be a reason operations come and go so frequently. :unsure:

So I imagine the huge backroom is going to be redone/integrated into the whole space somehow.

Years ago I took @ class in one of the upstairs offices-it was something of a dump back then that's why I referred to the building needing work.

DV8 burned and burned and burned the other night. So, they are closed.

What ??

Burned to the ground ??

N,

i have not been by yet to see the damage but they were pumping water in through the roof to extinguish the fire - so that is bad enough. Sorry to have so little info. I just heard last night secondhand. Apparently the VancSun had a short story. Might wanna google.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Story in both the Province and the Sun, but both are pay to play. According to the Province there were 20 guests inside that had to be evacuated when the fire started in the bar. I once had the sprinkler system malfunction and shower my section (all my guests were totally soaked and I panicked), but this is much worse by the sounds of it. I feel for the owner, but I also feel bad for the guy who was working that 20 person section! :sad:

I hope their insurance is good and everything gets patched up quick as DV8 is a true Vancouver original. Any news or walk-by reports from those nearby would be appreciated.

And if anyone still needs to hire staff, it would be mighty nice to get their phone list and do some cold calls.

What a bummer!

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

On a slightly cheerier note, Il Ducato on 4th ave has closed and been reopened under new owners as The Distillery - bar/lounge concept. For the overflow from Bimini's perhaps?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Does this belong in this thread? as it's not a restaurant...

Barbara-jo's has opened a "wee culinary bookshop in the net loft on Granville Island. We are not fully dressed yet, but please come visit us in our underwear.

et Loft on Granville Island"

It's a little annex store, opened today. Her much larger new "main" store on West 2nd will open in August some time.

Barbara-Jo's Books to Cooks

www.bookstocooks.com

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Barbara-jo's has opened a "wee culinary bookshop in the net loft on Granville Island.  We are not fully dressed yet, but please come visit us in our underwear.

It's a little annex store, opened today. Her much larger new "main" store on West 2nd will open in August some time. 

www.bookstocooks.com

Well, Il Ducato was a restaurant . . . :biggrin:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Well I vote yes- I think this is something we want to know, and would fall under the catergory of Cuisine (Books about).

Thanks for the info.

I will definitely be stopping by this Saturday.

I will bribe my four year old w/ Lee's Doughnuts to keep him happy about the sidetrip.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Barbara-jo's has opened a "wee culinary bookshop in the net loft on Granville Island.  We are not fully dressed yet, but please come visit us in our underwear.

www.bookstocooks.com

Well, Il Ducato was a restaurant . . . :biggrin:

Oh, I get it now, Cate - I thought you're "it's not a restaurant" was about The Distillery. SOOO confused . . .

I vote yes too.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Well, considering:

a) It is "food" related

b) It is in Vancouver

c) Barbara-Jo is an honorary eGulleter

d) I was just about to post this

... there's a good chance it will stay. :wink:

A.

Tama Sushi @ Broadway and Fir. I used to go when I lived in Kits. How long has it been closed.

Fox and Firkin @ the Library ? Fox and Fiddle....what was it called ?

there's the frog and firkin and the fox and fiddle.. silly irish chains

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

What's going on with that place on Davie near Denman opposite Checkers?

Think it used to be one of those silly Irish places, but last

time I was by it was closed. Has it reopened? What is it? Worth

checking out?

the place on davie is called soho they have $ 0.25 wings all day tuesdays and thursdays, went and checked it out, they weren't great, they were asdvertised as thai curry but it was actaually more like indian curry and they were pretty damned miniscule, (.25 was all they were worth, HOWEVER the huge saving grace of the place is the very cheap beer, all pints are $3.75 including all the imports like stella artois and even guiness( an incredible deal!)

Reports are that Julio Gonzalez-Perini has sold Villa del Lupo. I'll update as further information becomes available.

In the June 17 edition of CityFood's Dine and Dash ("A New Howl for Villa del Lupo"), Rhonda Marie May provides more details on the restaurant's sale.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg