• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

i appreciate the suggestions, Young one, and remind you that egullet is a place where people share their experiences. Good and bad ones. The fact that more and more professionals contribute to the forums doesnt, and shouldnt change the very nature of this site. Besides, we've already had long discussions about that topic...

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Edm,

Perhaps you should try contacting the establishments directly when you have a disappointing experience, since it is obvious that your comments were meant for the bosses. It is never difficult to find a phone number or email for a Vancouver establishment. In fact, Gerald even included the website in his signature...

Eddy is quite correct.

A polite PM to the fellow egulleter about his establishment

is the route that I have taken on occasion rather than putting up a post that is not so glowing, but I must say the only reason I would and have done that is because they post here. If someone is not on the board, good, bad or indifferent, it goes up.

There certainly is no etiquette as to posts about a fellow EG'ers establishment (s). Everybody handles them in a different way.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

As a reader, I would find eG fairly useless if all I found here were positive reviews. A negative review is probably of more value to me than a positive review (which you can find anywhere you look), and the nature of eG ensures that everyone who has had a positive experience at the maligned shop will weigh in with their good reviews.

And edm was actually quite constructive in his criticism - the inexcusable reviews are the ones that use generaltieis like "it was terrible, the service was horrible, the food was bad" and so forth.

In browsing through CityFood's latest Dine & Dash, I found an excerpt from the Superlative Lounge's latest press release announcing their opening. Apparently they've dubbed their style "Retro-Mod".

”...The retro-mod setting seats 75 including a spacious patio. Warm brown wood and leather with amber lighting and colours convey a smooth and sexy mood.

“Marmalade is the brainchild of owner and designer Ash Sharifaie...

“Chef David Alsop - formerly of Aphrodite Cafe, Tomato Fresh Food Cafe, and Mad About Food - steers the menu. He brings years of experience creating fresh, flavour-full, and gratifying menus to Marmalade Kitchen and Bar's upmarket cafe menus by day and intimate lounge bar items by night.

“Together, Sharifaie and Alsop fuse contemporary design with high quality fare served up London-style. Choose from an extensive West Coast menu or rediscovered traditional English dishes.

If anyone has the opportunity to try some smooth and sexy, fresh, flavour-full and gratifying food at Marmalade, please let us know what it's like!

Edited to correct a punctuational misdemeanor.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

In browsing through CityFood's latest Dine &Dash, I found an excerpt from the Superlative Lounge's latest press release announcing their opening.  Apparently they've dubbed their style "Retro-Mod".

We should break out the frosted white eyeshadow and white lipstick and pay the Hyperbole -oops, I mean Superlative - Lounge a visit when it opens!

Any other closet former mods want to bust out the Lambrettas for a trip? Ha.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

In browsing through CityFood's latest Dine &Dash, I found an excerpt from the Superlative Lounge's latest press release announcing their opening.  Apparently they've dubbed their style "Retro-Mod".

We should break out the frosted white eyeshadow and white lipstick and pay the Hyperbole -oops, I mean Superlative - Lounge a visit when it opens!

Any other closet former mods want to bust out the Lambrettas for a trip? Ha.

It's open! but Joie and I can't go in yet, we're still consumed with giggles whenever we think of it.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I've been away for a bit but noticed that Burrito Bros on 1st beside Addesso has been open for about a week. I tried the Chicken Burrito Bomber from a fairly short menu. There are three main choices : Taco Trio, Burrito and Burrito Bowl with about 6 ways of doing each.

The Burrito was $7.00 and weighed well over a pound, Cali-Mex style .

The Burrito was tasty but a little on the mushy side and came with a little side of tasty salsa. The only fish available for the tacos (at this point) is deep fried cod so maybe once they get comfortable we can try to cajole them into being more adventurous.

Drink-wise there is a nice selection of Mexican beer but to my great disapointment the only Margs will be out of a slush machine.

Definitely fun for the neighbourhood (nice little terrace) but unless they evolve a bit more not really worth a drive across town.

A stroll through my old 'hood today noticed two developments.

The Chinese place in the 1900 block W4th N side is gone-looks to me like someone will have to drop a bundle to reopen.

Big Rock Brewery-I think that was the name- is open in that old Italian joint 2000 block W4th N side.Considered a brew before dinner but they only have one Lager on offer-the rest is Ales which I don't generally care for.The menu is forgettable-a rehash of 80's faves.

EDIT-Wrong name for the brew joint-it's called The Distillery and features Big Rock product.

HTH did they get LCB to approve a name like that? :wacko:

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

Enthuze on Denman across from the library, opening in May.  Looks like some kind of take out place that will also sell housewares. 

From the website: An urban retreat where the time-challenged and flavour-starved rediscover the joy of delicous food at a  fair price.

Was attracted by the cool exterior, but found the contents didn't live up...The housewares selection is sparse with nothing new or unique (can buy some of these products at various mall kiosks); and there wasn't much of a menu or food display to check out. Would like to hear from anyone who's actually eaten there.

Big Rock Brewery-I think that was the name- is open in that old Italian joint 2000 block W4th N side.Considered a brew before dinner but they only have one Lager on offer-the rest is Ales which I don't generally care for.The menu is forgettable-a rehash of 80's faves.

EDIT-Wrong name for the brew joint-it's called The Distillery and features Big Rock product.

HTH did they get LCB to approve a name like that? :wacko:

I am curious as to which restaurant they have replaced on the north side of the street. The only Italian restaurant I can think of in the 2000 block is/was(?) Il Ducato and that is/was(?) on the south side I do believe.

Can you recall whom the neighbouring businesses are?

Guess I could go look for myself one of these days.... it's more or less my 'hood as well.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

A stroll through my old 'hood today noticed two developments.

The Chinese place in the 1900 block W4th N side is gone-looks to me like someone will have to drop a bundle to reopen.

Not Connie s cook house is it , :[ that would be a shame if that place goes , i love their spicy won tons .

and

Gerald . sorry sir i didn`t read your signature. it seems you are one of the big bosses .

i had a " frank " today, that must be the most sinister burger on the planet.

* bows *

i`m not worthy . i`m not worthy

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

It's the south side. Il Ducato, I believe, was the former tenant.

Apparently it's some sort of Elwood's/Nevermind/Five Point spinoff.

There's not much choice at that end of Fourth as far as latter evening libations are concerned (Bimini's anyone?), I look forward to more options, if anything else.

Eaten at Enthuze twice now. Small menu, frankly I'm already sick of it. Hope they change the selection soon. I did mention the place in my blog a few days ago... here.

The Rama lamb curry is okay, gyoza lacks flavour. Drink selection is good - I enjoyed the cream soda last time I was there. Decor is pretty neat and stylish.

Will be back to try the crème brulée in a while as well - I recall hearing they had black sesame as well as green tea varieties but I could be mistaken on that.

Enthuze on Denman across from the library, opening in May.  Looks like some kind of take out place that will also sell housewares. 

From the website: An urban retreat where the time-challenged and flavour-starved rediscover the joy of delicous food at a  fair price.

Was attracted by the cool exterior, but found the contents didn't live up...The housewares selection is sparse with nothing new or unique (can buy some of these products at various mall kiosks); and there wasn't much of a menu or food display to check out. Would like to hear from anyone who's actually eaten there.

Fans of New Grand View Szechuan should note that they're moving. Drove past it the other night and saw a sign with their new address on it: 26th and Fraser.

During that same trip down Broadway, a rather large flash of red neon caught my eye just east of Burrard. Moxies. :blink: I think they cleaned out the factory's entire supply of red neon tubing. :hmmm:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Fans of New Grand View Szechuan should note that they're moving.  Drove past it the other night and saw a sign with their new address on it:  26th and Fraser.

I wonder if it's the old Vong's space they're moving into? I used to love their jade chicken.

Tonight is Ukranians-go-for-Chinese night in the Cat family so perhaps I'll request one last hurrah at the old New Grand View so we can bid adieu to the weird ivy climbing up the window and the beloved always-empty free parking lot.

What are they gonna call the new joint? The New New Grand View? The New Fraser View?

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

During that same trip down Broadway, a rather large flash of red neon caught my eye just east of Burrard.  Moxies.  :blink:  I think they cleaned out the factory's entire supply of red neon tubing.  :hmmm:

Oh dear gawd! I was zipping by on Friday night and just caught a blinding glimpse of red out of the corner of my eye and wondered what could possibly have sprung up. Moxies.... a blight on our palates if ever there was one. Oh well.... as it seemed to be hop, hop, hopping around 11:30 on Friday... they obviously have their fans. :wacko:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Fans of New Grand View Szechuan should note that they're moving.  Drove past it the other night and saw a sign with their new address on it:  26th and Fraser.

I wonder if it's the old Vong's space they're moving into? I used to love their jade chicken.

Tonight is Ukranians-go-for-Chinese night in the Cat family so perhaps I'll request one last hurrah at the old New Grand View so we can bid adieu to the weird ivy climbing up the window and the beloved always-empty free parking lot.

What are they gonna call the new joint? The New New Grand View? The New Fraser View?

:shock:

Aaaaugh!

My favourite General Tso's Chicken might not get delivered to my hood any more??!!

cry.gif

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies