• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

While strolling the neighbourhood last evening we noticed that the o;d lobster space adjacent to Adesso is under renovation. It will be called The Burrito Brothers and promises fast Mexicali with a patio and some stools. Fish tacos? Stay tuned.

I have noticed recently a few Taco Del Mar's opening in Vancouver. The most recent one on West Broadway. Anyone tried their fish tacos before?

Yes- the one I had was basically like a frozen fish stick in a taco.

However, everything else I have had there was pretty damn tasty

for fast food.

I had them at one of their California outlets and it was closer to what Keith Talent was describing as authentic fish taco. I had one here - and tasted a little tired - but not bad for fast food.

Enthuze on Denman across from the library, opening in May. Looks like some kind of take out place that will also sell housewares.

From the website: An urban retreat where the time-challenged and flavour-starved rediscover the joy of delicous food at a fair price.

Cheers,

Anne

It is? :sad: I never got a chance to stop by..

But here is more information about the new "Red Door - Pan-Asian Grill" straight from the Spectra Group website:

"Red Door Pan Asian Grill

Red Door Pan Asian Grill is a new casual upscale full service restaurant. Our environment is best described as stylish with a real upbeat neighbourhood feel. Our guests will experience the Far East in a comfortable and fun setting. Our menu is Pan Asian focusing on traditional ingredients and cooking methods and featuring both familiar and slightly adventurous dishes. It highlights the regions powerful flavours with dishes designed to be shared family style. Our menu is complemented with a dining room and staff that offer an intimate, friendly, and unique experience. Special occasion and casual drop in diners, combined with an excellent take out program, is the mainstay of our business; however, our small, high energy and entertaining bar will also add to our local popularity. Our people must be extremely friendly and professional reflecting our core value of being an awesome neighbourhood restaurant offering outstanding product and service. Therefore, if you love great food and wine in a high energy, fun neighbourhood atmosphere- then we need to talk!"

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Anyone heard anything about the marmalade kitchen & bar @ 1010 Beach, Vancouver?

Is this in the location where they used to be a Korean cafe next to Fiddlehead Joe's?

All I could find online was:

"Marmalade is a stylish waterfront kitchen & bar, perfect for an early rise breakfast, a light and breezy lunch venue or a starlit and sexy dinner rendezvous. The relaxed waterfront dining with the definitive "getaway" feel will ensure a lively, casual and hip atmosphere to dine and drink.

An international flavour will be apparent in the variety of dishes and drinks. The convivial and relaxed eating environment will be offering dishes such as Sautéed Salmon with Red Onion Marmalade served on a bed of sautéed potatoes, and the Mediterranean shared platter which offers exquisite treats such as Aubergine Caviar and humous amongst a delight of other flavours. The emphasis will always be placed on the marriage of the freshest and lusciousness of ingredients.

With a visually stunning alfresco space, it is an ideal location for a groovy waterfront bar. The unpretentious atmosphere is somewhere you can take time out to sit, chat, eat and drink or watch the world go by. And indoors, a more intimate, sexy lounge provides a hip, chill out scene for late night drinking. The martinis and variety of cocktails are part of this eclectic and exciting bar list. There will also be an extensive selection of wines and beers coming from a variety of countries but all with the fullest flavours.

Marmalade Kitchen & Bar will offer its guests a cosmopolitan eating and drinking venue at the coolest part of downtown, unlike any other. We welcome you to come and taste, see and feel the sensation that is Marmalade."

Sounds like an interesting change for the space. When is it opening?

Cheers!

"Marmalade is a stylish waterfront kitchen & bar, perfect for an early rise breakfast, a light and breezy lunch venue or a starlit and sexy dinner rendezvous. The relaxed waterfront dining with the definitive "getaway" feel will ensure a lively, casual and hip atmosphere to dine and drink.

An international flavour will be apparent in the variety of dishes and drinks. The convivial and relaxed eating environment will be offering dishes such as Sautéed Salmon with Red Onion Marmalade served on a bed of sautéed potatoes, and the Mediterranean shared platter which offers exquisite treats such as Aubergine Caviar and humous amongst a delight of other flavours. The emphasis will always be placed on the marriage of the freshest and lusciousness of ingredients.

With a visually stunning alfresco space, it is an ideal location for a groovy waterfront bar. The unpretentious atmosphere is somewhere you can take time out to sit, chat, eat and drink or watch the world go by. And indoors, a more intimate, sexy lounge provides a hip, chill out scene for late night drinking. The martinis and variety of cocktails are part of this eclectic and exciting bar list. There will also be an extensive selection of wines and beers coming from a variety of countries but all with the fullest flavours.

Marmalade Kitchen & Bar will offer its guests a cosmopolitan eating and drinking venue at the coolest part of downtown, unlike any other. We welcome you to come and taste, see and feel the sensation that is Marmalade."

Sounds like someone was getting their money's worth for that new Roget's Thesaurus. I think their original name choice, the Superlative Lounge, was scuttled in favour of Marmalade Kitchen & Bar, the close second choice.

"...marriage of the freshest and lusciousness of ingredients." Hmmm.

"...taste, see and feel the sensation that is Marmalade." A sticky, sweet orange substance that I'm not that fond of on toast. Branding is so important with any new venture. I'm interested to see how a bar named after a breakfast condiment turns out.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

"...taste, see and feel the sensation that is Marmalade."  A sticky, sweet orange substance that I'm not that fond of on toast.  Branding is so important with any new venture.  I'm interested to see how a bar named after a breakfast condiment turns out.

Perhaps it's not the breakfast condiment at all...

He met Marmalade down in Old New Orleans....

Perhaps it's more of a Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Da Da thang...

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently Marmalade is now open. Passed by yesterday and it had a bunch of people sitting on the patio. Didn't look as sexy as the marketing language at all. Basically looks like a bar spilling out onto the patio. Haven't bothered stopping to look at the menu yet.

Cheers!

Apparently Marmalade is now open.  Passed by yesterday and it had a bunch of people sitting on the patio.  Didn't look as sexy as the marketing language at all.  Basically looks like a bar spilling out onto the patio.  Haven't bothered stopping to look at the menu yet. 

Cheers!

What time did you pass by, Marc-David? I walked by around 4:30 and realized what it was and spend the next half mile giggling about the Superlative Lounge :laugh:

It actually looks like a nice bar space inside, but I'll have to get over my giggles before I try it out.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

In the "filling a niche that probably doesn't exist" category, I give you Café Borandsi.

I spotted this today as I was heading down North Rd near Lougheed Skytrain station. I gather it opened relatively recently, because last time I looked that place was a fireplace store.

What struck me first was the fact that their sign uses the Mistral font rather prominently. This font verily SCREAMS "crappy", and I am quite convinced that no business using it in their logo has survived beyond 6 months. Except, perhaps, for some exotic massage parlours.

Next was the description of the restaurant - a "fusion board games café". I have to give credit to the guy who came up with that - it is one of the few word combinations in the English language that return absolutely ZERO results when used as a Google query.

Anyway, I understand the principle (go, eat food, play some games) but I can't get past their slogan. Fusion board games cafe. Jeez. I'll have the Parcheesi-stuffed ravioli, please. :wacko:

I'll give them the last word, though. from the one internet page I could find describing the place... "Strong recommendation to any that would like to experience a healthy and relaxing form of entertainment."

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

The Kingsway Deli has opened up at 1188 Kingsway. It is a Vietnamese take-out deli. It has a single table covered in packages for take-out, and what appears to be a very large kitchen in the back. Tried the BBQ Pork Bahn Mi (#8) which came on a crispy french loaf, with daikon, cilantro, carrots, and a slight hint of chili fish sauce. Tasty treat for a whopping $2.70. They opened on Saturday the 4th.

Cheers!

Sadly, as of yesterday, Yoo has closed the doors at Velvet for good. It just wasn't working for her anymore.

It was a cool, funky little space (original Vij's location). She was an excellent host, always with a big smile, even as she loaded up the last boxes on her departure.

Ooohhh..that's so sad. I wish I had known and I would have gone in for one last dinner. When I lived in that neighborhood it was a regular haunt. This is almost as sad as Habibi's changing hands :sad:

I wish I knew Yoo was closin' the place down, I'd have gone for a Last Supper. She's always been so great and hospitable, knowing just when to bring extra raita when the spices were making me sweat.

Best of luck Yoo! I'm sure she'll do great with whatever her new chapter entails!

This is almost as sad as Habibi's changing hands :sad:

Anyone been to Habibi's since the handover? Curious to know if/how it's changed.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Vera's Burger Shack is pleased to announce that we will be opening at UBC in the space formerly known as Amigo's Cafe, in the Marketplace building. We expect to be open by mid july. Further for those of you that have avoided our kits location because of the smoky blue haze inside you will be happy to know that we replaced the hood fan today so the air will be much clearer. :smile:

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Vera's Burger Shack is pleased to announce that we will be opening at UBC in the space formerly known as Amigo's Cafe, in the Marketplace building.  We expect to be open by mid july.  Further for those of you that have avoided our kits location because of the smoky blue haze inside you will be happy to know that we replaced the hood fan today so the air will be much clearer. :smile:

Right on !

i love the cornwall shop, blue haze or not . you just cant beat Vera`s meat .

and good luck with the UBC site .

Gerald, please forgive my ignorance , but are you one of the big bosses @ Vera`s ?

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

a quick word on my recent experience at Vera's on Davie. Got there around 7 on a weekday, it was very quiet, 4 staff were taking it easy in the kitchen while the grill could have used a big generous scrub. Just the sight of it almost threw me off.

Waited 15mn for a burger and fries (only order kitchen had at the time).

The meat was dry, unpleasantly charred (burnt, & so was the bun), and the quality of the fries was far from impressive, overly cooked though rather on the soft side.

I've had much positive experiences at Vera's in Kits. This was my first try at the Davie location, and likely my last one.

Several problems i encounter in Vancouver on a regular basis:

-Dirty open kitchens,

-Places that claim a lot of things but fail to deliver.

Gerald, best of luck with the UBC opening.

Edited by edm (log)

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

a quick word on my recent experience at Vera's on Davie. Got there around 7 on a weekday, it was very quiet, 4 staff were taking it easy in the kitchen while the grill could have used a big generous scrub. Just the sight of it almost threw me off.

Waited 15mn for a burger and fries (only order kitchen had at the time).

The meat was dry, unpleasantly charred (burnt, & so was the bun), and the quality of the fries was far from impressive, overly cooked though rather on the soft side.

I've had much positive experiences at Vera's in Kits. This was my first try at the Davie location, and likely my last one.

Several problems i encounter in Vancouver on a regular basis:

-Dirty open kitchens,

-Places that claim a lot of things but fail to deliver.

Gerald, best of luck with the UBC opening.

Wow, I'm really sorry about your experience at davie st, if you could perhaps enlighten me as to when you were there, what time of day, and exactly what you had that would be great. As for the wait, normally a wait of 8-10 minutes is the rule because make our burgers to order (more time if it is busy) so it would make sense that it took longer if they were overcooking your burger. Aside from the grill being dirty were there any other observations. Thanks for taking the time to post your comments, hopefully your next visit will elicit a better posting. Please feel free to contact me directly gerald@verasburgershack.com.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

edm,

Perhaps you should try contacting the establishments directly when you have a disappointing experience, since it is obvious that your comments were meant for the bosses. It is never difficult to find a phone number or email for a Vancouver establishment. In fact, Gerald even included the website in his signature...