• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

pepita's was mentioned in the entertainment book thread, so i thought that if it was referring to the denman location( maybe the only one?)i thought i'd post the news here  , sorry to say it too is gone and been replaced by pacific crab co.

There still is a Pepitas located upstairs on the southwest corner of Burrard and West 4th Avenue.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

New Tibetan Restaurant and Lounge in Victoria

Vancouver Lee mentioned the Kathmandu Café opening on Commercial and I wanted to talk about Tibetan food and politics, since I found this quote (obviously badly translated) yesterday.

At first I thought it was funny, but then I changed my mind and realized it's one of the saddest things I've ever come accross.

"The Qomolanga Hotel...newly launched a Snowy Mountain Noble Dining Series. It offers you special food with exquisite tableware under a compatable atmosphere. You can enjoy the dance by the beautiful Tibetan girls and to experiences the inner Tibethan cultural connotation. They present you with the snowy white hada [a ceremonial scarf] when you enter the gate of this restaurant. The passionate Tibetan girls will serve you the highland barley wine as well as other Typical Tibetan food , such as dried yak meat, curry beef, toasted mutton, and so on."

(actually taken from the online China-Tibet Information Centre as read in Burnt toast-a food zine)

When I woke up this morning, I realized the full horror of the impact of that little quote. It's really an indictment of how China has ravaged Tibet, and the fact that now they want to parade Tibetan women around like zoo animals is truly disgusting. (I'm sorry for making fun of the said quote in the "truth's from the other side" thread). The Tibetan culture is truly communal and spiritual and we capitalists need to look to Tibetan Buddhists for some kind of antidote to the soul-sucking mess of industrialized globalization. The way the Chinese have treated the Tibetans is tragic.

There is a story about Tibetan food that I really enjoy in an anthology called The Adventure of Food: True Stories of Eating Everything, edited by Richard Sterling. In "Tibetan Cravings" Lisa Kremer writes "Later I will laugh upon seeing Tibetan restaurants in the States. What could they be serving-blood sausage, dried uncooked meat, roasted barley and butter tea?..." Anyway, I have eaten at a new Nepalese/Tibetan restaurant called The Mint in Victoria. It has a warm, trendy vibe, and is located in a brick-walled basement near the Douglas Hotel at 1414 Douglas Street. I had the vegetarian momos, which as I remember were something like a cross between Chinese steamed veggie dumplings and perogies, which kind of makes sense, geographically. I read mixed reviews online, but it is an interesting university crowd kind of place. Apparently they have a Nepalese chef, a vegan chef and the "main" chef. They also have music (live or DJ) later in the evening.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Happened upon another coffee joint I had never

tried - Delaney's on Denman near Davie. Excellent

cappuccino and super friendly service. This is just

an aside to responding to the topic thread. As we

left Delaney's, I noticed hammering and sawing

next door. A sign said, "We know you're hungry,

please be patient. Fat Burger will soon be here."

Or words to that effect.

This was a coupla weeks ago and the place looked

far from finished, so I guess Fat Burger will open

closer to summer.

Also, on our way to one of my favorite Chinese joints,

Won More Szechuan, also on Denman, noticed a new

Japanese place right beside Pacific Crab Co. Can't

recall the name, but it's a Japanese tapas place.

Peered in the window, room looks kinda cool, menu

out front had a lot of intriguing dishes, but we succumbed to

the lettuce wrap call and went in to see the "one man

with a wok" instead.

Anyone been to this new place? Any reports?

Also, on our way to one of my favorite Chinese joints, Won More Szechuan, also on Denman, noticed a new Japanese place right beside Pacific Crab Co. Can't recall the name, but it's a Japanese tapas place. Peered in the window, room looks kinda cool, menu out front had a lot of intriguing dishes, but we succumbed to the lettuce wrap call and went in to see the "one man with a wok" instead.

Anyone been to this new place? Any reports?

You're talking about Black Tuna with Chef Jacob Jung, formerly of Taka Sushi on West 4th Avenue. Haven't tried it myself yet, but my girlfriend who lives in the West End gives it rave reviews. Am also interested to hear what fellow eGulleters have to say about it.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A new place on Dunbar at around 28th (?) called Mexicali just opened this week. Peeped the menu to see if they had tamales, no luck. Anyway, the place is casual with some funny palm tree murals inside. Haven't tried it yet, but in this neighbourhood - easily the worst food vortex in the city - it is welcome.

3WC

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

During my usual roamings around South Granville where I live, I noticed a few goings-on restaurant wise:

The mysterious Red Pepper ('modern Thai dining') restaurant that has been under construction for a while now a couple of doors down from Cru is now advertising for dishwashers and cooks, so they may be close to actually opening.

A new 'upscale Pan-Asian' restaurant (the name escapes me) is under construction on the corner across from Meinhard where the Bread Garden used to be. Nothing but plywood at the moment so I guess it will take a while before it is going to be ready.

Interestingly, Picnic was 'currently closed to circumstances beyond our control' according to a sign on the door. This was yesterday afternoon when we dropped by for a treat after lunch at Rangoli. I had to go into Meinhard to get my fix, unfortunately I can never go in there without emerging with more chocolate than is good for me. Oh well... :raz:

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

Chocoholic, I was in the neighborhood Sat for lunch, and Picnic was going great guns at the time. Overflowing, in fact. I too would be curious as to what happened.

Also I peeked into the "Pan-Asian grill" space but like you said, nothing to see there. And that modern Thai place has been teasing for a while, to the point where I've lost interest.

Royal India on Water Street has closed down... going to miss the butter chicken. It's re-opening as an Italian restaurant! I doubt it will survive much past summer based on the previous restaurants at this location.

Stephen

Walked by Le Magazin building in Gastown around lunch time today and the new Italian restaurant is now open. It's called Capri 19. Only a couple of tables by the window, but otherwise it looks quite empty. The menu looks fine, prices reasonable. I wonder how it will do, since there is Al Porto across the street, Water Street Cafe at the end of the block, Rossini's on the next block - all similar type of food. I'll have to pop in one of these days.

Royal India is gone, but a new Indian restaurant "Copper Chimney" opened (about a month or two ago) in Oritalia's location in the Le Soleil Hotel. They have retained the decor of Oritalia, but made a total change in menu. Went there a couple of weeks ago with some people from work and found the food to be quite tasty, although not the traditional Indian cuisine. Prices a little on the high side - similar to Maurya and wine mark-up seems high as well.

A new 'upscale Pan-Asian' restaurant (the name escapes me) is under construction on the corner across from Meinhard where the Bread Garden used to be. Nothing but plywood at the moment so I guess it will take a while before it is going to be ready.

hmmmm is this Spectra's desperate attempt to play catch-up with the Fullers and copy OPM? I knew they were opening an asian fusion restaurant, but didn't know where. Anybody else know?

James

Spectra project on South Granville is called "Red Door" and is based on the BF Chang model in the USA.

Idea is Asian food in a western dining environment - martini list, decent wine list etc.

We'll keep an open mind.

Edited by 2roost (log)

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

• 3 weeks later...
Was someone recently exclaiming on the virtues of the Kiwi Pie Company? If so you might want to know that they've opened new storefront at 542 Robson according to today's Georgia Straight: Kiwi Pie Company

Yeah! That was me - I really do like their savory pies. But barolo, linking it to the Georgia Straight - ack - they are dead to me! :raz:

But - do click the link to the Georgia Straight today - the 'Single of the Week' looks suspicously like a certain bespectacled forum host.

Daddy A - there are easier ways to get a side dish.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Was someone recently exclaiming on the virtues of the Kiwi Pie Company? If so you might want to know that they've opened new storefront at 542 Robson according to today's Georgia Straight: Kiwi Pie Company

Yeah! That was me - I really do like their savory pies. But barolo, linking it to the Georgia Straight - ack - they are dead to me! :raz:

But - do click the link to the Georgia Straight today - the 'Single of the Week' looks suspicously like a certain bespectacled forum host.

Daddy A - there are easier ways to get a side dish.

Careful Canucklehead ... my wife lurks these hallowed halls! :raz: BTW, I look NOTHING like the "Single of the Week" apart from shorn head and glasses (his are butt ugly!) :angry:

Kiwi Pie Company product will also (if not already) be available at Swangard Stadium for Vancouver Whitecaps' games!

Cummon everyone! White is the colour, soccer is the game ....

A.

While strolling the neighbourhood last evening we noticed that the o;d lobster space adjacent to Adesso is under renovation. It will be called The Burrito Brothers and promises fast Mexicali with a patio and some stools. Fish tacos? Stay tuned.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

It will be called The Burrito Brothers and promises fast Mexicali with a patio and some stools. Fish tacos? Stay tuned.

I'm headed out right now to pound my fish taco manifesto into the front door like a Latino Martin Luther demanding reformation. Hilights include;

* Corn tortilla only, white corn, warmed.

*No strawberries, blueberries or mango. I don't care what they do at Sobo, they cook out of a truck in Tofino, the rules are different for them, it doesn't make it right here.

*No salmon. No halibut. Unidentified white fish only. Preferably harvested in a manner that leaves the sea bed a barren watery dessert for fifty generations.

*No grilling. Fried fish, ONLY. You're on a diet, you shouldn't be out for dinner. Get your fat ass to the gym. And I don't care if you know some freakish scorned by all the other restauranteurs of Mexico place that grills them, they're fried in the streets of Ensenada, fried at the definitive San Diego chain of Rubios.

*Three salsas will be available. A red chille based one, a green tomatillo one and a pico de gallo. NO PINEAPPLE.

*The taco will be topped with shreded cabbage and a white sauce that is neither mayo nor sour cream, yet strangely resembles both.

I demand these points be followed. Or I will heap the scorn on you I currently reserve for Taco Del Mar.

While strolling the neighbourhood last evening we noticed that the o;d lobster space adjacent to Adesso is under renovation. It will be called The Burrito Brothers and promises fast Mexicali with a patio and some stools. Fish tacos? Stay tuned.

I have noticed recently a few Taco Del Mar's opening in Vancouver. The most recent one on West Broadway. Anyone tried their fish tacos before?

The other day on the Drive, I noticed a new restaurant going into the space where the old Santo's Tapas restaurant used to be. I think the name of this new place is "Stella". Does anyone have any scoop on this new place? It was still under construction/renovations, but it looks promising.

went by where nice'n' spicey used to be on broadway and noticed its going to be a chinwese and vietnamese place, yup just exactly what we need more of and also the old fox and firkin on davie opening up as "soho" on the 15th

The other day on the Drive, I noticed a new restaurant going into the space where the old Santo's Tapas restaurant used to be.  I think the name of this new place is "Stella".  Does anyone have any scoop on this new place?  It was still under construction/renovations, but it looks promising.

It is owned by the same people as the two Incendio's. It will be opening within the first fortnight of June. The focus is on small plates, Euro-beers, and cocktails.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I have noticed recently a few Taco Del Mar's opening in Vancouver. The most recent one on West Broadway. Anyone tried their fish tacos before?

Yes- the one I had was basically like a frozen fish stick in a taco.

However, everything else I have had there was pretty damn tasty

for fast food.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza