• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Neil,

Chambar is opening on the 21st although they mis-installed Nico's stove today. The furniture has arrived, the painting's about to start, countertops installed etc.

Most importantly though, the chill lockers for the beer are running like tops and, even better, the lines are short as the lockers are IN THE BAR.

It's going to be a handsome room. Nicco's wife Karri has superb design sense and shopped in Italy and Belgium for all of the furniture (a blend of old leather tub chairs, a 10-foot button backed chesterfield, and sleeker dining room furniture) and tableware herself. Her father made the 40 dining room tables. Lots of interesting art, including a Marhta Sturdy sculpture, and a definite European feel, right down to the newspapers in the front lounge.

Upon review, the menu's a treat too--combining Rwandan (Nico was born there) and other African flavours with his more classically-inspired Belgian repertoire.

It struck me when walking the space on the weekend that, unlike a lot of North American cities, we've been the real beneficiaries recently of some smart but informal rooms serving great food at decent prices. Parkside, Cru, Bis Moreno, Aurora and a number of others leap to mind. friends who just returned from New York to plunder the crop of ballyhooed new rooms like Per Se certainly agreed. Per Se, by the way cost US $12 million versus CDN $500,000 for Chambar. The prices, of course, reflect the difference. Our friends were allowed to keep their seats for just under two hours at Babbo, whereas at Per Se it was an evening-long production, and although delicious, they got a little fatigued after course 11.

Help me Rwanda,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 2 weeks later...

went by lift and go fish the other day, lift still looks far from ready but at least the army of workers were in evidence and as for go fish the floor has been set down and they are waiting for the rest to arrive from alberta and are shooting for an end of august opening and word is they are hoping to obtain a liqour license, yeeha!

Check out Cityfood.com for a picture of the modular building of " Go - Fish" being lowered into place. It is not long now. I hear "Lift" is launching Sept 20th. Has anyone been by there this last weekend ?

Went by Go Fish on Sunday. Building is in place, patio 90% complete, and the smell of fresh stain & paint in the air. Can't wait!

Arne

Haven't we just all been in a tizzy awaiting the arrival of Go Fish and Chambar?

Well here's the deal as of a few minutes ago:

Gord Martin is scrambling to open in time for the long weekend at Go Fish.

The beer is cold, the pans seasoned, the larder full, and the stove burnt-in at Chambar. And, after scouring the city for some panic bars for the emergency exit doors, Chambar's proprietors were waiting for the city inspector to revisit this afternoon to sign off on their occupancy permit. Should be good-to-go tonight or tomorrow.

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Frustrating, eh, Brian? But two cooler, more patient heads I've never met than Karri and Nico. The room looks terrific too--all it needs now are some happy drinkers up front and diners in the back. Let's hope the inspector calls tomorrow.

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Frustrating, eh, Brian? But two cooler, more patient heads I've never met than Karri and Nico. The room looks terrific too--all it needs now are some happy drinkers up front and diners in the back. Let's hope the inspector calls tomorrow.

WEEKEND UPDATE

It turns out that Karri and Nico Scheurman were successful in receiving their occupancy permit from the city on Friday. They plan to open on Tuesday.

Enjoy,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

My wife and I managed to hit two new restuarants last night. First was the opening party for One Restaurant Lounge. For our second stop we made it down the street to Chambar.

One Restaurant Lounge is a great new room in Gastown. The color and mood of the room are great and Cate Simpson threw a great opening bash. We did manage to try some menu items at a cozy table while the party raged on around us with free wine, beer and martinis. The menu is reminiscent of Earls or Cactus Club styles but without the consistency. We only ordered small plates and found the Tuna Carpaccio with a spicy sesame dressing to be very good while the Duck Rolls with a Blood Orange Dip were very short on the duck. The other plate we shared was the Gyoza with a Sweet Ginger Sauce which was poorly presented but otherwise tasted good. After watching other plates come out of the kitchen for some of the surrounding tables us we surmised that the kitchen still has some work to do as the other people did not finish a lot of what was brought out and none of the plates looked overly spectatcular. I can't really give a fair assessment on opening night or without trying some of the mains, so I will try and get back one day in the next couple of weeks. It should be a fine place for a late night dinner or drinks!

http://www.onelounge.ca/

Our second stop was Chambar - I think I have found my new favorite place in the city! We arrived shortly before 10 pm and the room was still busy. The room is intimate but spacious with great acoustics so you can actually hear your date while the people chat around you as well. The menu offers some unusual but exciting dishes such as Lamb Tajine and Duck with Juniper Berries. I have not been this excited about a menu since living and working in the UK. My wife and I shared the Lamb Tajine with honey, figs, cinnamon, and cilantro on a bed of cous cous that was perfectly prepared, if not way too big. Two full lamb shanks came as part of the dish, which for $19 is one of the best deals in town although my wife would have preferred to just eat the cous cous it was so good with all the nuts and fruits incorporated into it. We also shared the Grilled Salmon with Haloumie Cheese, Shaved Fennel Salad and Pomegranate Syrup (with a tapenade type of crust not mentioned on the menu). This was one of the few times I have actually been asked how I like my salmon cooked and they were excited by my “rare” response and when it came it was perfectly cooked. As with the lamb, at $16 this is an amazing deal! The service was execellent but they are still waiting for some of thier wines to come in so selection is a little limited at this time. I am sure I will be back to Chambar over and over again.

http://www.chambar.com/

I have copies of the menu in PDF form but I can't figure out how to attach them.

Go Fish! update

Was just down at the job site where they were bringing in a couple huge LP tanks and hooking up the gas. Gord was there supervising so I asked him when he hoped to open. He rolled his eyes and said Saturday. The gas guys confirmed they will be finished today, and Gord hopes he'll be testing things out either today or tomorrow.

I really feel for the guy ... the shed was late, the fan motor was wrong, permits were fun as always. But he said he's really looking forward to cooking some real food.

Arne

So I made another trek by Go Fish! this morning ... and the windows were open and people were inside cutting fish! I cold have gone for some cod & frites at 10am, but thought better of it.

Gord told me they had in fact had a small openning on Sunday and were giving away samples.

Back at 12:45 to find the tiny (6 spots) parking lot full and a number of people milling about on the patio. A woman (I'm assuming his agent) was apologizing to a small group of people (I'm assuming press/media ... Jamie was that you? Never met you face to face so I don't know :huh: ) Gord muttered something to me about a "soft opening" and then rushed off to his tortila press (from San Fransisco aparently).

I've seen enough episodes of Opening Soon to know a soft opening means "we'll get you your food as soon as we can, and after the VIPS are fed." Everything smelled good anyways. The menu was a collection of fish tacos, fish & chips (cod, halibut, salmon ... whatever's fresh & local) as well as a raw bar.

Anyone want to join me Thursday for lunch?

Arne

Anyone want to join me Thursday for lunch?

Sorry, couldn't wait for Thursday (apparently neither could Jamie :hmmm: ) I was having a bad morning and needed some cheering up. Nothing like deep fried fish for that :biggrin:

Not a full menu yet at Go Fish!, but a good start.

Started with the Salmon Wonton soup ... awesome! Perfect for a drizzly Vancouver afternoon. Salmon stock with ginger, cinnamon, spring onions ... very Asian with a nice bite. The wontons were excellent as well. I like salmon a lot, and the flavour came through, unencumbered by a lot of seasoning. A perfect contrast to the broth.

Next was Cod & Chips. A lot of people like halibut better in fish & chips, and I'm one of them. But halibut is an easy fish to cook. The flesh is so firm it tastes pretty good even if not handled properly. Cod is another story ... succeptable to oily-ness. I figured if the cod was good, it would bode well for the halibut.

Gord's batter is tempura style ... perfectly cooked and not greasy at all. The cod was very flaky ... a little "wet" though, although in my experience that can also be a product of the fish itself. Not a problem, just an observation. The fries (keeping in mind I haven't been to Chambar yet) were probably the best I've had in 10 years ... since the concession at Kits beach was taken over by the Parks Board. Fish and chips are accompanied with coleslaw: jicima, celery root, red cabbage and chinese pea sprouts. I'd go back just for the colesalw & fries.

Go Fish! has the usual "just-opened" bugs to work out ... Gord forgot the wonton spoons, and they'll be switching to the Georgia Straight for wrapping take-out. They'll also be adding an awning, heaters and a wider counter in the weeks to come. Gotta stay warm and dry when you're eating lunch in January! Seafood selection will be fresh whenever posisble, so there should be some terrific seasonal treats to come.

A.

Arne,

I was there around 12:45 after we launched the Vancouver Cooks at the Sutton Place. Rob Clark (from C) and I were trying to order some tacos (not available yet) but I had to head back to the office--although the halibut and chips looked mighty fine. Didn't see any media folk, just a patio full of hungry diners.

I'll be back.

Jamie

PS--Barabara-jo sold 1,200 (60 cases) of Vancouver Cooks books on Tuesday--easily a record and I suppose a Vancouver bestseller. Interestingly, the book is budgeted to net approximately $35,000 for bursaries and scholarships, slightly more than the James Beard Foundation spent on scholarships in 2004. You can buy it at any of the 50-odd restaurants listed on its thread, or at Barabara-jo's. It goes into general distribution in two weeks. There's a picture of the cover on the front page of the Sun's food section today.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Barabara-jo sold 1,200 (60 cases) of Vancouver Cooks books on Tuesday

My God she must have been busy that day. Thats great news. I can't wait to see a copy. (Not that I'm getting at anything here of course. But my home address is.....)

I see this is available from Amazon.ca, any idea if .com or .co.uk will also stock it?

Maxmillan,

There is a thread about Vancouver Cooks lower down in this forum. It's a cook book, with recipes from 54 British Columbia chefs.

Speaking of Barbara Jo, has anyone gotten thier tickets for the Bourdain at the Opus soiree? she has my money (Visa) but i am as yet without my ducat.

Coop, I had the distinct honour of being Ms McIntosh's driver (back from Northern Bounty in kelowna) on Friday evening. The Opus event is sold out; the Bar None event has some tickets left. Those who have paid can have them sent a little closer to the event, or, more civilized, pick them up the evening of as "will call". I couldn't attend the dinner at Mission Hill, but they had tents arranged in the courtyard--looked great. The reason I couldn't stay was that this, inconveniently, is the weekend of my high school reunion. As I said to Ingo and Anthony when I explained my regrets at the winery this afternoon, "Sorry guys, but the class of 69 happens only once per century. Especially after you're married."

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

JM, thanks for the info on Vancouver Cooks.

Had the halibut fish and chips at Go Fish...very well done. It was the least greasy f&c I've ever had. I was the only one eating at 2pm. The fellow behind the counter said last Sat and Sun was a zoo and if the weather holds out, this weekend should be busy.

Next time I go, I'm going to order the salmon and cod. The salmon is fresh off the boat but the cod and halibut is brought in. The Fish Taco won't be available for awhile. Looking forward to trying the grilled sockeye sandwich, grilled fish with glazes, salsas and coleslaw. I overhead "poor boy" oyster. What's that?

I was told they open Tuesday to Sunday from 11:30 to dusk

Had the halibut fish and chips at Go Fish...very well done.  It was the least greasy f&c I've ever had.  I was the only one eating at 2pm.  The fellow behind the counter said last Sat and Sun was a zoo and if the weather holds out, this weekend should be busy.

I was told they open Tuesday to Sunday from 11:30 to dusk

Well this past weekend they were slammed again ... big time! Took my wife & kids there Sunday around 5-ish as a reward for a work-filled weekend around the house. Saddly, when we got there they were closed! And had been since sometime on Saturday according to their note, which said they had run out of food, and wouldn't be replenished until Tuesday :shock:

I am beginning to look foolish here. This is the third time I've brought my familly for a meal, and the third time they've been closed (granted the first two times Gord wasn't actually open for business). My oldest said to me "Which do you like better dad? Their imaginary fish & chips or their imaginary soups?" Sarcasm is so attractive at 13.

So I guess Go Fish! is a success. Congrats! Let's just hope the success lasts once the October rains set in this week.

A.

ps. Ended up at Apollonia instead. Good, typical Greek fare.