• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

After a bit of a hiatus, between now and mid-summer there will be a new batch of interesting rooms for you to check out.

Gord Martin of the Bins opens Go Fish mid-June at False Creek Fishermans’ Wharf. Look for seaside upscale takeout with a few tables in the sunshine.

Emad Yacoub, Shannon Bosa, chef Sean Riley and manager Jean-Paul Lamb are opening Coast right now, a pretty new sister for Glowbal. The 110-seat (plus 55 on the patio) Yaletown seafood house features a Japanese-styled round for 16 (with private chef) as centrepiece.

A new wine bar sportif--no doubt aimed at female drinkers (given the front page article in the Sun today about the popularity of restaurant bars in this demo)--are also being bandied for the hormonal neighbourhood.

Lift, from Bob Lindsay of Monk McQueen's opens over the water at the west flank of the Westin Bayshore about mid-July. Chef is Keith Krantz--look for casual seafood in the best looking stand-alone restaurant building to emerge in the city in some time. fetching views from two west-facing patios of Coal Harbour and the marina.

Already open, at the north foot of Denman on the seawall is Bravo Bistro. Neat little menu: seared veal sweetbreads to steak or moules (lemongrass/cocunut cream) frites, bouillabaise. Well-priced, good lunch value, solid wine sheet in a crisply decorated room with a view.

Young Belgian chef Nico Sheurman and his wife Karri will open the 100-seater (beautiful bar) Chambar at 560 Beatty Street (just up from Wild Rice)around Canada Day. I'll have the trial menu shortly and will post it on this thread.

Heard about any others? Fire them in here.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Is Coast going in where Waterpoint (that awful, short-lived Indian restaurant) was last summer?

Edited to add -- one of the proprietors at Miro Yaletown told me they were going to open a wine bar next door --where the Yaletown business association office was. Maybe it's the same place you mentioned, Jamie.

Edited by Xando Head (log)
Food Lover -- nothing more, nothing less

Keith,

Chambar: Exciting menu (below), exciting beer list, beautiful room.

Disclaimer: Please note that I copied the menu from a PDF and although I think I paired items and prices correctly, there may be a few adjustments; also--it's a pre-opening trial menu only and prices may change before the restaurant gets underway. But it certainly looks to be full of flavour.

But first a few words about the owners:

Chef/Proprietor Nico Schuermans

Nico Schuermans is a qualified chef and restaurateur, and has been in the hospitality industry for 14 years. Nico received his qualifications at the prestigious CREPAC school of culinary arts in Belgium. His apprenticeship was with La Villa Lorraine (two star Michelin), and he went on to work as Chef de Partie for Comme Chez Soi (three star Michelin for 20 years), which is considered Belgium's finest restaurant. Nico was Chef de Partie at the Savoy Hotel in London; he completed his professional training there before moving on to become Head Chef at Alhambra in Sydney Australia.

Before leaving Australia Nico was asked to work at the Epoche Belgian Beer Café (superb credential right there) to cook for the Belgian national athletes, and visiting Royals. Upon coming to Canada Nico and his wife lived in Whistler, where Nico was employed by La Rua Restaurant.

Nico lived in New York for 5 months, working as manager at Gitane in Soho before returning to Canada. Nico worked as Sous Chef at Lucy Mae Brown and is currently working as a consultant for Baru Latino Restaurant .

Karri Schuermans

Karri Schuermans background is in the design and marketing industries. She has run a successful freelance design business for the last 8 years, specializing in Corporate Branding and merchandising. Karri is the co-owner of Twice Shy Productions, a clothing + design firm here in Vancouver. www.twice-shy.com

Karri was the International Film Manager for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, her role being to ensure positive exposure for Sydney s cultural and architectural attributes, and define Sydney as the business and fashion centre for the South Pacific. Previous to that, Karri was the Marketing Manager for the City of Sydney.

Karri has also been involved in the hospitality industry, and went to work for the Earls group (hmmm...them again) in preparation of opening a restaurant with her husband Nico.

CHAMBAR TRIAL MENU

Chambar Lunch Menu á la Carte

Les Salades

Mixed green salad with endive, pears, blue cheese, pecan nuts and cherry vinagrette. $8

Salade Liegoise ? green beans, crispy potato, onion, prosciutto and red wine vinagrette $8

Roasted beets, smoked chicken, hazelnut and grapes on watercress. $8

Warm eggplant salad with black olive feta, basil and tomato on grilled foccascia. $7

Arugula, walnut and apple salad with herbed goat cheese, walnut oil and balsamic vinegar.

Les Pains Garnis

Grilled Salmon with roast tomato, arugula, parmesan and dill onion on a grilled baguette. $10

Smoked Chicken on fig-nut bread with mango, arugula mayonnaise and baby greens $10

Toast Canibal steak tartar with capers, preserved vegetables, harissa cheese and baby watercress. $8

Grilled Eggplant with tapenade, goat cheese and pesto on watercress. $10

Merguez sausage with tomato cucumber salad and ginger yogurt rice. $9

Fresh almond crusted crabcake, roasted red pepper sauce and sweet potato chips. $10

Roasted salmon with oranges, olive and radish salad with pomegranate vinaigrette. $10?

Lunch Menu Main Courses

Grilled Chicken cous-cous with dry fruit, cilantro, pesto, pinenuts and zalouk $17

Lamb Tajine - Braised lamb shank with honey, cinnamon & cilantro served with cous cous and zalouk. $12

Spicy meatballs in tomato, tumeric sauce with boiled egg, cucumber, yogurt and cilantro. $15

Plat du Jour ? Special plate of the day. $TBC

Specialité

Moule Frites Mussels and fries $15

Coquotte Cooked with white wine, bacon, vegetables, garlic and a touch of cream $15

Vin Blanc Cooked with white wine, and vegetables $15

Congolaise Cooked with fresh tomato, smoked chilli and cilantro with a touch of coconut cream and lime. $12

a l'Escargot Half-shell grilled mussels, with fennel, tomato and pastis

Dessert

Caramelized banana cream tarte $4.5

Tiramisu $5

Petite Suisse (mild French farmers cheese with fruit and brown sugar) $5

Warm chocolate cake with orange sugar Dinner Menu Appendix

Chambar Dinner Menu á la Carte

Les Petit Plats $7

Soupe aux Trois Haricot Trio of beans, smoked trout, chive and creme fraiche $8

Melimelo d’ete Organic greens, peach, tomato, proscuitto and with basil vinagrette. $7

Salade Folle Belgium endive, watercress, red grapes, carmamelized pecans, and blue cheese with walnut dressing and toasted fig bread. $12

Canard Confit au cidre Cider duck confit with apple and summer beet salad. $12

Carpachio de chevreuille Venison carpachio with grilled pear, foie gras butter and warm brioche $11

Coquille St. Jacques Seared scallops and grilled oyster mushroom on watercress, with parmesan twill. $11

Tomate farcie de Crabe et Crevette Stuffed tomatoes with baby prawns, crab with pea shoots. $11

Garspachio de thom frais Grilled tuna with candied ginger, Belgian endive and cucumber

Dinner Menu Main Courses

(Les Grosse Pieces)

Turbot roti au lard å la Chimay Roasted halibut wrapped in smoked bacon with grilled greens and Chimay emulsion. $18

Tajine d?Aziz â l’agneau Braised lamb shank with honey, cinnamon & cilantro served with cous cous and zalouk. $17

Saumon de printemps Grilled Salmon, haloumie cheese, asparagus and braised fennel with sweet red wine glaze. $13

Gaufre de legumes au chevre Potato waffle with goat cheese and tomato herb concassé $18

Magret de Canard au pêche peket Duck Breast with peach, waffled potatoes with juniper berry infusion $18

Fillet mignon au beurre perigueux Beef tenderloin with Madera and truffle butter on potato mash with mushroom ragôut. $18?

$5 Belgian Frites ?

Mixed Seasonal Vegetables $10

Grilled asparagus with parmesan Dinner Menu Appendix

Specialité Moule Fritte $15 Mussels and fries

Coquotte Cooked with white wine, bacon, vegetables, garlic and a touch of cream

Vin Blanc Cooked with white wine, and vegetables Congolaise Cooked with fresh tomato, smoked chilli and cilantro with a touch of coconut cream and lime. $12

a l'Escargot Half-shell grilled mussels, with fennel, tomato and pastis $17

Côte de porc a la Kriek Pork Chop with stoemp and cherry beer compote $18

Le Steak frite au poivre Grilled steak with peppercorn sauce, braised endive, and fries. $18

Watersooie de homard et fruit de mer Bouillabaisse of lobster, scallop, prawns, mussels and halibut on lemon rice. $15

Boudin Belge aux pistache sauce Duvel Belgian sausages with pistachio, onion jam and Duvel sauce on potato mash.

Dessert

Mocha soufflé Hot mocha soufflé with hazelnut ice cream $7.5

Mousse au chocolate Belge Belgian chocolate mousse with white chocolate parfait $7.5

Tarte au citron et frambroise Lemon and raspberry tart with citrus sorbet $7.5 Crème Brulé a l?eau de rose Rose water crème brulé $7.5

Dame Blanche Homemade vanilla ice cream with warm belgian chocolate sauce $7.5

Proire caramelise å la crème pistache Poached pear, caramelized with pistachio cream

Plateau de trios fromages Trio cheese platter with crispy leaves, pear jam and nut bread $14

NOTE: Menu subject to change due to ingredient pricing and availability.

Belgian Beer Menu

1. Abbaye des Rocs 2. Abbaye des Rocs 3. Abbaye des Rocs blanche 4. Abbaye des Rocs blanche des honnelles 5. Abbaye des Rocs mon tagnarde 6. Abbaye des Rocs Montagnarde 7. Abbaye des Rocs Speciale Noel 8. Abbaye des Rocs speciale noel 9. Achel 10. Belle Vue Kriek 11. Cantillon Gueuze Lambic 12. Cantillon Kriek Lambic 13. Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus 14. Caracole Amber 15. Caracole Nostradamus Brune 16. Caracole Saxo Blonde 17. Caracole Troublette 18. Chimay Red Cap 19. Dupont Saison 20. Hoegaarden 21. Hoegaarden - Fruit desendu 22. Karmeliet Tripel 23. Karmeliet tripel 24. La Binchoise special noel 25. La Binchoise Speciale Noel 26. La Chouffe Golden Ale 27. Liefmans Goudenband 28. Liefmans Goudenband 29. Liefmans Joudenband 30. Mort Subite Cassis 31. Mort Subite Gueuze 32. Orval 33. Pauwel Kwak 34. Petrus Oud Bruin 35. Rochefort 8 36. Saison de Silly 37. Stella Artois 38. Stella Artois 39. Westmalle Double 40. Westmalle Tripel 41. Westmalletripel

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I can attest to Nico's talents personally. I worked with him for a while and saw a dedication and singular drive only found in top chefs.

Besides that, as an outed beer slut, my appreciation for Belgian Beers makes me messy.

You will most likely be floored by whatever Nico comes up with, and I will make like Robin Mines and "eat my panties if they don't win best new restaurant".

:shock:

Those of you who fancy yourselves cooks looking for work, get down and join the queue, because you will rarely get an opportunity to work for someone like this again.

Good luck Nico.

I'm no expert on the restaurant industry, but I know a thing or two about drug abuse ...

-Daddy-A (Kitchen Troll)

I think Gord Martin's place sounds interesting. I still haven't been to all the new places that opened last year. Have done Parkside 3 times, Feenie's and Cru twice. Still haven't tried the Aurora Bistro or Umami. Chambar sound's like a real winner though. Do you think the wine list is decent?

By the way does anyone have any news on the Fat Guy's favorite Vancouver chef's Brian Fowke's super restaurant? I can't wait to hear how we all missed the boat on that one.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 5 weeks later...

well folks for all you waiting for "go fish " , sorry to say but was down there today and no way, not even a single vestige of what is to become, not a hammer , nor nail or even a shell-structsure , is still a month or few away from being ready

I was down their a few times on business in the last few weeks. I asked about what was up and the Harbourmaster told me that the trailers arrival was imminent. It was being built off site, there were still a few licensing issues to be dealt wtih but the project is still happening. everyone I spoke with was looking forward to it's arrival.

Here is an interesting point of view though, the people in the office think that they are in an area under served by lunch places. Huh? Either they are unable to walk or think they need a Burger King on site. Amazing point of view to someone who lives in Maple Ridge.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Here is an interesting point of view though, the people in the office think that they are in an area under served by lunch places. Huh? Either they are unable to walk or think they need a Burger King on site. Amazing point of view to someone who lives in Maple Ridge.

These must be the same people who are clamouring for the A & W to open up in the Granville Island retail space formerly occupied by Pastel's deli.

Good Lord.

:wacko:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 weeks later...

GO FISH

According to Gord Martin, Go Fish is slated to open on August 1st. The modular metal building is being constructed in Calgary and being shipped in and assembled over the next couple of weeks. On site work has commenced on the 800 square foot (20’ x 40’) deck. There will be two take-out windows, one off the deck and the other serving the blade and cycle path.

Preliminary menu items include sushi cones, fish and chips, oysters on the half shell and crab cocktails. Hot preps include barbecued fish over mesquite.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

• 4 weeks later...

while i'm for sure no expert on the construction industry, i passed by the future location of "lift" and having read the sign saying it was scheduled to open this month i had to shake my head at the skull of a building that was in front of me,but on the positive that location is so unbelievable that i can't wait to see what emerges from there, i'll be eagerly awaiting the chance to dine and drink on that patio in what will be the opening up of the next up- and -coming place to be developed in van to dine for spectacular views

According to Gord Martin, Go Fish is slated to open on August 1st. The  modular metal building is being constructed in Calgary and being shipped in and assembled over the next couple of weeks. On site work has commenced on the 800 square foot (20’ x 40’) deck. There will be two take-out windows, one off the deck and the other serving the blade and cycle path.

Okay Jamie, either I'm completely blind, or I have the wrong Fisherman's Warf for Go Fish. I was down there last night with my wife & our dogs, and believe me, if there was fried fish around, the dogs & I would have sniffed it out! There was no deck, no trailer ... no fish! :sad: Any word?

Also wondering if Chambar is on sched for next weekend. I have a birthday coming up ...

DA

It' a shame that both Lift and Go Fish are running well behind--they've missed a good part of this blazing summer in what are going to be seasonally-challenged locations. I too wasted a trip to Go Fish only to draw the Old Maid card--they hadn't even mapped the location on the pavement where it's being installed.

As for Chambar, the tiling in the kitchen is taking place right now (I'm trying to convince my daughters to leave university and become tilesetters--in incredibly short supply right now), with kitchen equipment being installed later this week. Hopefully they'll be able to fire it by next weekend or so--soft opening to follow. But for safety's sake, I'd arrange your birthday celebration after mid-month.I suspect it will be well worth waiting for.

By the way Arne, if I look half as good as you do when I turn 28 (my birthday's next month), I'll be thrilled.

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

agree with jaime on the seasonally-challenged locations but it does appear that perhaps go fish will have the luxury of closing for the off-season if business doesn't warrant it being open whereas lift won't have that option and then as far as chambar i think that will be a challenging location all year round, both the street location as well as being on the 5th floor

These long-anticipated openings have a downside in the potentiual for anticlimax--especially amongst culinary trainspotters like us.

Maybe they would be better off putting a large banner across their buildings, like the new Cactus Club in Yaletown, stating: "OPENING SOONER OR LATER".

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

As for Chambar, the tiling in the kitchen is taking place right now (I'm trying to convince my daughters to leave university and become tilesetters--in incredibly short supply right now), with kitchen equipment being installed later this week.

Ha! I've been telling my sons (ages 10 & 13) that the trades are an excellent way to go. If the shortage of qualified trades I'm experiencing today is any indication, the right trade would be a great help to my kids ... as they support me in early retirement. :raz:

Hopefully they'll be able to fire it by next weekend or so--soft opening to follow. But for safety's sake, I'd arrange your birthday celebration after mid-month.I suspect it will be well worth waiting for.

I hope so ... it's kinda like we're all living every episode of "Opening Soon" I've ever seen .. and no the irony isn't lost on me. J is taking me to Paprika in Victoria instead, after a week of camping with the kids. I hope I fare better than Mr. Talent!

By the way Arne, if I look half as good as you do when I turn 28 (my birthday's next month), I'll be thrilled.

Okay Jamie ... whaddya want?? :biggrin:

DA

as far as chambar i think that will be a challenging location all year round, both the street location as well as being on the 5th floor

vandan

Chambar actually enjoys a street level location with pretty easy parking right outside. They have a variance proposal before city hall to provide a small Euro-styled patio.

The rooms will be gorgeous: high ceilings throughout, original hardwood floors. interesting colour schemme and comfortable furniture--they'll want you to stay awhile. The bar/lounge area is streetside (about 35 seats), a mid-section of dining seats will be located near the kitchen, and then a lovely dining area of 55 seats that will enjoy an unusual nightime view of the lights of Science World and Citygate through large picture windows.

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

ya when i posted i was just going by what the building dirctory said , it says suite 500 and something so i figured that meant 5th floor but a day or 2 later i went by and realized the building doesn't even have 5 floors

Any updates on the new restaurants ?

Go Fish ?

Chambar ?

A friend went by "Lift" the other day and saw only 2 guys working. Seems odd in the last push to open. That is usually the flurry of activity with 5 plumbers, 10 electricians, painter, tile setters and the decorator all working on top of each other.

Does anyone have any insight as to the " Liftoff " date ?

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com