• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

bloody good question, kontemporary!

And will there be something on the TOP of Shangri-La?

Since the top umpteen floors are all condos, I would be surprised if they did have a rooftop restaurant.

I believe there is still the presentation centre on Alberni and Bute, they may have that information.

When I worked at the Fairmont Waterfront, I always thought that it would be amazing to knock out a few of the HarbourView rooms on the 23rd floor and make it a high end lounge, with fine champagnes by the glass, 18+ year old single malts, large selection of premium vintage ports........ah, it would have been beautiful.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

AFAIK there is an ass-kicking penthouse with a roof garden at the top of the Shangri-La.

It sold for 7.2 million if I recall correctly... I don't think many restaurants, and especially one based in Vancouver, can have such a deep pocket.

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

AFAIK there is an ass-kicking penthouse with a roof garden at the top of the Shangri-La.

It sold for 7.2 million if I recall correctly... I don't think many restaurants, and especially one based in Vancouver, can have such a deep pocket.

The hotel is on the first 15 floors of the building. Here's a description of the restaurants:

The Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver will provide a creative feature restaurant with outdoor seasonal dining, a lobby lounge serving light meals with a bar overlooking the Vancouver Art Gallery Public Art Site, and a juice bar serving guests in the spa and pool area. The hotel's intimate function and private dining facilities will feature three rooms with seating capacity for 25 to 75 people, a canopied exterior terrace with access to the function rooms, library with fireplace and a 48-seat screening theatre.

There's also an Urban Fare slated for the building.

Check the hotel website here.

Cheers,

Anne

Has anyone gone to the new lounge/restaurant Curious (52 Powell Street - 604-642-0052). I read about it in the Straight this week. Three level space? Inquisitive minds want to know...

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I was walking on fourth yesterday, and noted the Presto Cucina is now open. It is a bright, open room, with lots of booths and brick. Big red neon sign outside that said "OPEN", but nobody was inside. In my mind it doesn't quite 'fit' the street ( Disclosure statement: I must admit I was an original Romios patron, having been there on their opening day), but I wish them all the best!

Cheers,

gourmetgal

Edited by gourmetgal (log)

Has anyone gone to the new lounge/restaurant Curious (52 Powell Street - 604-642-0052).  I read about it in the Straight this week.  Three level space?  Inquisitive minds want to know...

Here is my blog entry on Curious: It is the space where Mo Butter was.

We were invited to the opening of a new place in Gastown - called Curious. It's on 52 Powell Street. Usually these evenings are a bit of standing around, a couple drinks and some very small portions of hard to get to food. Not last night. Full sit down five course meal and some of the most inventive cocktails I have seen. The watermelon margaita with a shot of tequila floating in the a lime cup was made with fresh muddled watermelon. Blackberry spiced gingerbeer had fresh grated ginger, ginger syrup and rum.

We started out with a delectable tuna tartare with sesame crackers and a sushi cone filled with daikon radish and more tuna. Next there was a perfectly cooked butternut squash ravoli with a double sauce. One part beet reduction and the other a buttery white wine. The absolute hit of the whole meal was a poached and then deep fried potato stick that was rolled in a combination of cornflakes and panko. This came with a tender beef filet and some crunchy green beans.

The food and drinks just kept on arriving. I ordered a couple glasses Stonleigh Sauvignon Blanc, served in the riedel O glasses, to complement with the incoming Halibut. Fish is a hit or miss with me. It is easily overcooked, but not at Curious. The chef had got it right. Crisp outside and melt in your mouth tender. He paired with we had some flavourful risotto and some deep fried risotto cakes.

Dessert was make your own smores. This was immensely entertaining and brought me right back to the good old campfire days of my childhood. The blue dish is actually on fire and you roast the marshmellow and then smoosh them between the chocolate graham crackers. Keep the chocolate on the inside or you'll make a big mess!

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Ohh I passed by Sash today (took over Bukowski's on Commercial Drive) and it's very... red. A vivid romantic red, that is. Looks like a good place to take a date.

I'm not so sure... I glanced at their menu and saw that they have a burger with "real beef". It sounds a bit frightening ...

The people that bought the old Bukowski's and opened it as Sash are the same people that own the "Fig-Mart" Convenience stores on the drive. They are really nice people but I don't think the new place will have a great chance at survival. But then again the scene there is changing rapidly, on weekend nights crowds of kids from the burbs flock to the drive and its new fast food chain outlets. Sigh. Another Granville Street in East Vancouver. I hope I'm wrong.

The belly rules the mind.

On West 4th Avenue Romios Greek Taverna has closed shop after 25 years in business.  The new restaurant opening here is, Presto Cucina, a chain that currently has operations in West Vancouver and Abbotsford and is also opening up another location in White Rock.

From a flyer at the front door:

Welcome to Presto Cucina! A great way to enjoy the flavous of Italy in a warm and unpretentious setting.  Place your order at the counter, help yourself to your beverage selection, and we will bring your order when it is ready.

Anyone tried either of their existing locations?

Hi Sarah

I have been to the new one on fourth, and i`m not overly proud of that fact either.

Its a theme park, with unremarkable food. I`m sure the young staff mean well, but they have the oddest facial expressions. i`m a big believer in cooks not being on show for this very reason. they can look so gormless when not occupied by the task of cooking.

tt

The Rodeo Drive In is closing! It was announced in todays Vancouver Sun. It has always been one of my favourite burger joints. Not the best necessarily (but right up there), but wow, what ambiance!! One of the very few non-franchised burger places still around. I will miss them. Check them out before they close in February. Story Here

Derek

Not open yet but soon (i guess) Hola Churros right beside Parthenon on Broadway. Don't know if it's the same guys from across the street but the space is much bigger. God help them with all the Churro experts ready to pounce!

Also on W. 4th in the block before Maple (going West). The old Chinese Restaurant across from the Dollar Store ( that has been closed and for lease for quite a while) is going to be a Kebab place.

On West 4th Avenue Romios Greek Taverna has closed shop after 25 years in business.  The new restaurant opening here is, Presto Cucina, a chain that currently has operations in West Vancouver and Abbotsford and is also opening up another location in White Rock.

Welcome to Presto Cucina! A great way to enjoy the flavous of Italy in a warm and unpretentious setting.  Place your order at the counter, help yourself to your beverage selection, and we will bring your order when it is ready.

Hi Sarah

I have been to the new one on fourth, and i`m not overly proud of that fact either.

Its a theme park, with unremarkable food. I`m sure the young staff mean well, but they have the oddest facial expressions. i`m a big believer in cooks not being on show for this very reason. they can look so gormless when not occupied by the task of cooking.

What did you have to eat, TFA?

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Hi Sarah

What did you have to eat, TFA?

Hi Sarah

It was a pizza. cant remember the details to be honest for there have been 80 hours worked since i ate it, and my head is caved in.

Belated happy birthday to you Sarah

tt

I was there last week to check out developments, and it looks killer:wub:

Where is this Centry House?

How exciting!

Is this restaurant in that beautiful old building at the foot of Richards Street, next to Macleod's Books? If it is, that could be an awesome room and I really hope they can pull it off. In a city that seems to have torn down most of its old architecture, that style of space is pretty rare.

Is this restaurant in that beautiful old building at the foot of Richards Street, next to Macleod's Books? If it is, that could be an awesome room and I really hope they can pull it off. In a city that seems to have torn down most of its old architecture, that style of space is pretty rare.

Yes, and the interior changes are gorgeous.

There's something new from the Glowbal folk under construction on Granville 1100 block of so. Anyone?

It is called Sansafir, after the ancient island that lay in the Red Sea. Sansafir Island was a trading nexus between Asia, the Middle East and the cultures of the Mediterranean, and we can expect (from what I hear at least) the flavours to reflect such diversity. Opening in late winter/early spring.

Incidentally, and if you haven't heard already, Food TV is doing an Opening Soon show on both Century and Sansafir. Sean and Emad will undoubtedly make for excellent TV.

:biggrin:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine