• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Harlo Burger on Cambie St. has been replaced by a Vietnamese restaurant called Green Pepper.

From my own personal observation, I've been seeing a huge increase in the number of Vietnamese restaurants within the last year. Any reason behind this?

EDIT: typo :rolleyes:

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Milan Bistro is now open again.  It's located a few doors down from Coast on Hamilton.  It closed for about a year and then all of a sudden opened last week again.  We're planning on trying them for dinner soon ....

Is it the same people I wonder ?

Same concept ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Milan Bistro is now open again.  It's located a few doors down from Coast on Hamilton.  It closed for about a year and then all of a sudden opened last week again.   We're planning on trying them for dinner soon ....

Is it the same people I wonder ?

Same concept ?

Outside appearance wise it looks exactly the same. When we venture for dinner I hope to find out a little about what happened .......

Hello everyone,

I just became a member of the society after many weeks of lurking! I am very excited to get to know you all.

The other night I was in Burnaby visiting my mother and we drove past a new African restaurant. I believe it is called African Spice, but don't quote me on it. The location was roughly Imperial at Nelson street...close to Bonsor Recreation Centre. We had just polished off a copius amount of homemade Chicken Curry and Nshima (a Zambian staple food similar to polenta), so we didn't get to stop in and see what they had to offer. I am very curious as to which country the owners are from.

I will also contribute a little bit of nostalgia to this thread. When I was a teenager, I worked in this little counter service place on Denman called Perogy's Perogies. It is the only time I have ever worked in a kitchen. I made hundreds of Perogies from scratch every shift. I miss those perogies...might have to whip up a batch sometime soon, for old times sake!

Hello everyone,

I just became a member of the society after many weeks of lurking! I am very excited to get to know you all.

The other night I was in Burnaby visiting my mother and we drove past a new African restaurant. I believe it is called African Spice, but don't quote me on it. The location was roughly Imperial at Nelson street...close to Bonsor Recreation Centre. We had just polished off a copius amount of homemade Chicken Curry and Nshima (a Zambian staple food similar to polenta), so we didn't get to stop in and see what they had to offer. I am very curious as to which country the owners are from.

I will also contribute a little bit of nostalgia to this thread. When I was a teenager, I worked in this little counter service place on Denman called Perogy's Perogies. It is the only time I have ever worked in a kitchen. I made hundreds of Perogies from scratch every shift. I miss those perogies...might have to whip up a batch sometime soon, for old times sake!

Welcome to our little corner of eGullet, JasmineL. I don't recall seeing much discussion here about African food - hopefully you can help open up yet another culinary world for us.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

^ Welcome to the forum JasminL!

Hey anyone know anything about "Waves" coffee on Main and 10th? I saw the paper sign a few weeks ago.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I used to love that place with the kolbasa!

Then I married an expert perogy maker.

"Hey anyone know anything about "Waves" coffee on Main and 10th? I saw the paper sign a few weeks ago."

Now THAT is a sweeeet location. I hope they do a good job.

(That sig picture rates right up there with Ling)

I used to love that place with the kolbasa!

Then I married an expert perogy maker.

"Hey anyone know anything about "Waves" coffee on Main and 10th? I saw the paper sign a few weeks ago."

Now THAT is a sweeeet location. I hope they do a good job.

I wonder if this is related to the coffee shop also called Waves on West Hastings. It's on the corner where the old Sophia's Bookstore was.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Thank you for the welcome everyone!

Vancouver Lee: My knowledge of African food is somewhat limited to the few dishes my mom cooks...and my mom is a Canadian women who just happened to live in Zambia for 3 years in the 70's. I can tell you that stew features heavily!

I have seen WAVES on Hastings, but since there is an Artigiano a couple blocks away I always end up going with old faithful. I should pop in and scope out the pastry selection, purely for research purposes. :wink:

I have seen WAVES on Hastings, but since there is an Artigiano a couple blocks away I always end up going with old faithful. I should pop in and scope out the pastry selection, purely for research purposes. :wink:

I popped into Waves on Hastings last week for a quick cup of Americano. The coffee was pretty good, rich flavour and not bitter. They are open 24 hours with free wireless internet access. I didn't notice any food menu except for the pastries and sandwiches in the glass counter. For hot chocolate, you can order either "dark" or "milk" chocolate. They have nice sitting areas in the back and side with leather sofas. It's not too busy (Blenz is just across the street) - perfect for a place to enjoy coffee, surf the net or read without the crowd/noise.

^ Blenz also offers "dark" or "milk" hot coco. I love the choices. I believe they also use Ghiradelli (sp?) chocolate.

Funny. Proudly Canadian coffee shop using chocolate from San Francisco :laugh:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Crime Lab has locked the doors and awaits a wrecking ball.

:blink:

I better check why my sailing club is having their Xmas party there!!

And hooters eh? That's not that big a deal for me since I never ever liked the food there and their "apeal" wasn't enough to offset the poor food quality :raz:

You guys beat me to the Hooters scoop - I noticed that yesterday. Only reason I noticed was the darkened room on normally blazing Robson. Can't say I'll miss it, but am skeptical about anything good going in.

I also noticed that Pastels is now leased - just think if they become a Starbucks too, they only need to take over the Banana Republic for an uber-Bucks to complete the square. Wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility!

**Melanie**

Hello, first post so try to be nice, does anyone know what is going on with the Bis Moreno location?

Doug,

What a really stoooopid question! :wink::wink::wink:

Welcome to eGullet!

As far as Bis Moreno's old spot, I wiwh I knew. I'm also interested in what Moreno is up to now that he's out of the bis ... er biz.

A.