• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

A few things...

~ Further east on Broadway, by Oak(ish) there's a new "Argentinian Cusine" place whose name escapes me.  I'm trying to reflect on what cuisine made Argentina particular (from the rest of S.A.),  I only have spent time in Buenos Aires but who knows, maybe I missed somethin'.  Anyone got details on the place?

I posted about that ahiwle back in the thread.. the name was.. something and Tango IIRC.

Ambrozia Restaurant and Lounge is also open at 911 Denman St.. anyone know what was here before it ? (possibly Shiraz?) I haven't been by myself, but have seen an ad they put out.

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

A few things...

~ Further east on Broadway, by Oak(ish) there's a new "Argentinian Cusine" place whose name escapes me.  I'm trying to reflect on what cuisine made Argentina particular (from the rest of S.A.),  I only have spent time in Buenos Aires but who knows, maybe I missed somethin'.  Anyone got details on the place?

I posted about that ahiwle back in the thread.. the name was.. something and Tango IIRC.

Ambrozia Restaurant and Lounge is also open at 911 Denman St.. anyone know what was here before it ? (possibly Shiraz?) I haven't been by myself, but have seen an ad they put out.

Ambrozia has been opened by Stefan Michev - previously the manager of Fleuri in the Sutton Place Hotel. Billed as "The Esssence of the Mediterranean". I spoke with him yesterday and he mentioned there is also a touch of Bulgarian (Stefan's home country) on the menu.

Website still under construction.

http://www.ambroziarestaurant.com/

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

This is more of a 'moved' rather than an opening or closing...

Richmond's Galloway's has moved due to their land being expropriated by Translink. They are now located at 7860 Alderbridge way (between No.3 Road and Minoru), near Ed's Linens.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

On West 4th Avenue Romios Greek Taverna has closed shop after 25 years in business. The new restaurant opening here is, Presto Cucina, a chain that currently has operations in West Vancouver and Abbotsford and is also opening up another location in White Rock.

From a flyer at the front door:

Welcome to Presto Cucina! A great way to enjoy the flavous of Italy in a warm and unpretentious setting.  Place your order at the counter, help yourself to your beverage selection, and we will bring your order when it is ready.

Anyone tried either of their existing locations?

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet but Abigail's Party has opened where Tangerine used be, from the crew that opened Hell's Kitchen and Nevermind both in Kitsilano.

While Michelle was helping her sister move today in Kits I took Alex and Jack to Tangerine to say our goodbyes. It was a wonderful, sad brunch. We watched as many regular customers paid their respects with hugs and best wishes for the move to Main Street. It makes me smile to see a neighbourhood restaurant connect so solidly with the locals. But, as they say, the show goes on. The keys are handed over to the Hell's Kitchen folks on Monday, and the build continues at Habit. From what I hear the food concept is more global than regional, and the Asian influences (a la Tangerine) will be muted enough to invite others to play. Nice to hear the kitchen staff are making the move, too. We'll see them in October.

From the Hell's Kitchen folks, Mark and James:

"We will be taking over this space, closing for a week, re-opening around September 20th as Kitsilano's premiere tapas & wine bar, Abigail's Party. All you 6-year Tangerine loyalists out there, indeed I am one of you, rest assured that the fabulous tradition of Tangerine's brunch will be in safe hands at Abigail's, as well as what new things the night will bring. As Matisse's intended his art for the working man, the young French professional, so Abigail will serve for the young men and women of Vancouver - a place for relaxation, taste exploration, comfort and good times. We'll keep you posted on developments closer to opening.

Sounds intriguing...but all those beautiful tiles! :sad:

Yup. Someone has.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

New restaurant in Richmond, on 3 Road at Westminster Highway (west side), called Sante Fe, I believe.  I think there was a different restaurant there before.  Appears to be an attempt at high-end quality dining, presumably fusion cuisine, with Asian / Central American / West coast influences? 

Nice assortment of cold and hot appetizer selections and entrees, but certainly not inexpensive, some of the entrees were in the high $20's, one was over $30.  Salmon, halibut, veal and filet mignon I think I remember seeing on the menu posted by the door.  Seems strange at this location but certainly if it is good, definitely has been lacking as far as I can tell in Richmond.

Bully for you for beating the local Richmond expert, Keith Talent, to the punch.

Do they have a website ? I think I will be out in that direction soon and might need a place to dine with family.

Cheers

Neil

I've got to say, where the heck is Keith? :huh: Anyway, I noticed a few days back that Sante Fe is now open for lunch, forgot to post. Also, we enjoyed some takeout with friends from another place in Richmond, souvalaki, lamb chops, roast lamb, and all the fixin's and this great pizza with sauce that wasn't tomato based. Really yummy. Just a little ways east from the Marriott/Hilton complex on Westminster. The meat was so good, grilled with great flavour! :wub:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Has Habit opened yet...? I just checked there website and it says early November, are we still in early or are we in mid november yet?? Would like to check the place out

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Barring any last minute hiccups, Habit plans to open their doors softly this Wednesday.

They taped up the windows but the door was clear!! I took a peak and took 3 very very bad pictures which I am too embarassed to post. Needless to say it looks good in their and he wall texture is pretty funky. The chairs were stacked on the tables for cleaning. I couldn't see much tonight but it is looking very ready to go.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

In the space formerly occupied by Lesley Stowe Fine Foods, I saw a sign that read "quince... coming soon".

Who's got the dish on this?

Quince is a former Dubrulle instructor - Andrea who used the name for her catering. I think she plans to do catering, classes etc.

In the space formerly occupied by Lesley Stowe Fine Foods, I saw a sign that read "quince... coming soon".

Who's got the dish on this?

Promising a September start-up, here's Quince's still-static website.

There you go, TFA. Looks like they're still in medias res. Chef Tony also mentioned Quince in last week's Serious Foodie class as pointed out here by BCinBC.

BTW, besides the many other classes offered at NWCAV (in series, or as 1 or 2-shot classes) another option that Chef Tony brought up is Quince. Being started up by another ex-Dubrulle-ite and one-time Bocuse d'Or candidate, Chef Andrea will supposedly be offering classes in singlets or short series as well. She is reputedly very highly skilled with the knife.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

There's a blurb on "about-to-open Quince" in this week's Georgia Straight.

Ambrozia has been opened by Stefan Michev - previously the manager of Fleuri in the Sutton Place Hotel. Billed as "The Esssence of the Mediterranean". I spoke with him yesterday and he mentioned there is also a touch of Bulgarian (Stefan's home country) on the menu.

Website still under construction.

http://www.ambroziarestaurant.com/

And, as linked to in this Media Digest post, Tim Pawsey of The Vancouver Courier offered a cursory write-up of Stefan Mintchev's Ambrozia, now open in the former Shiraz space (good memory kontemporary). If you're still curious, the Westender also ran a profile of this former Sutton Place F&B Director in the Lifestyles section of its November 17 edition.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"sash " will be opening in former buskowski's space, and ghanaiese(?) restaurant formerly on 200 block east 10th (behind hell's gate mall)no longer, anyone remember the name?? goggled to no avail, only got there once so its a shame that its gone especially as it was the only of its kind in the city, unfortunately the location was about as bad as it gets with "passer-by" traffic about slim to nill

"sash " will be opening in former buskowski's space, and ghanaiese(?) restaurant formerly on 200 block east  10th (behind hell's gate mall)no longer, anyone remember the name?? goggled to no avail, only got there once so its a shame that its gone  especially as it was the only of its kind in the city, unfortunately the location was about as bad as it gets with "passer-by" traffic about slim to nill

vandan, was the place on W10th called Asanti African Waffles?

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

no it wasn't, and it was actually on east 10th not west, but the name was similar to

asanti or something but was the food was ghana specific and nothing to do with waffles , its now a vietnamese place, thanks for the reply though

...ghanaiese(?) restaurant formerly on 200 block east  10th (behind hell's gate mall)no longer, anyone remember the name?? goggled to no avail, only got there once so its a shame that its gone  especially as it was the only of its kind in the city, unfortunately the location was about as bad as it gets with "passer-by" traffic about slim to nill

Here's a link to the original thread that you posted with your initial inquiry about Asanti. Interestingly enough, the date of your thread was almost exactly one year ago... funny how time flies.

Joie Alvaro Kent