• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

I'm not Andrew, but:

[*]Habit is going into the space formerly occupied by Typhoon on Main Street:  2610 Main Street at 10th, east side of the street.

Are you sure it's Typhoon?....As this place sounds very much like the location of Monsoon. Which I used to enjoy when they first opened....later, things got dicey.

Yagger's is open.. or at least their website is (though not fully functional - click here).

I managed to to get their menu though, if anyone's interested:

SOUPS

Yukon Gold Potato & Leek Soup

with Swiss-Ementhal Cheese

Three Tomato Soup

with Italian Parsley Pesto & Crème Fraiche

SALADS

Crisp Romaine Roquefort Ceasar Salad

with Potato Bread Croutons

Warm Spinach Salad

with Valencia Oranges, Frissee & Candied Walnuts

PANNINIS

Capicollo, Roasted Red Pepper & Swiss

Free Run Chicken Breast, Spinach & White Cheddar

Grilled Zucchini, Red Onion, & Roma Tomato

SANDWICHES

Housemade Cowburger

with Quebec White Cheddar & Double Smoked Bacon

Gourmet BBQ Pork Sloppy Joe

in a Sweet Sesame Glaze

Baron of Venison Baguette

with Pepper Roasted Onions & Pale Ale au jus

TAPAS

Housemade Peanut Crusted Chicken Fingers

with Tamarind Sweet Soy Glaze

Cumin Dusted BC Lamb Satay

with Doublemint Mayo

Alabacore Tuna Wonton Ravioli

with Thai Pesto

Sea Salt and Black Pepper Pork Saddle Tenders

Sauteed Garlic Rock Prawns

in a Basil Lime Butter

Gnocchi & Gorgonzola Cheese Poutine

Studded with Dates & BC Hazelnuts

Free Run Chicken Wings

Rob Spice, Wasabi Dusted or Jagermeister Glazed

Rancho Relaxo Classic Veg Plate

Olde School Double Blanched Frites

PASTAS

Mac & And Not So Blue Cheese

with White Cheddar and Gorgonzola

Penne Putanesca

with Spicy and Savoury 'Streetwalker' Tomato Sauce

Quite interesting.. and definitely casual.

Edited by kontemporary (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I'm not Andrew, but:
  • Habit is going into the space formerly occupied by Typhoon on Main Street:  2610 Main Street at 10th, east side of the street.

Are you sure it's Typhoon?....As this place sounds very much like the location of Monsoon. Which I used to enjoy when they first opened....later, things got dicey.

Nope, Irish, Monsoon is still open for business (good or bad) right beside Soma the coffee shop. The former Typhoon space is about 1 to 1 1/2 blocks south of that.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Someone mentioned there is a Burgoo going into West Van. Is it already open?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Someone mentioned there is a Burgoo going into West Van.  Is it already open?

Is this true, a 3rd location?? (2nd on the north shore, without the 1st being open yet!?!) I have my doubts. They'll have their hands full starting up the one at the Quay anyway.

From the website:

Our goal is to open another larger location this year in Vancouver, then continue our vision with potential stores to be opened in the future in Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg.

Whistler is a frickin brilliant location for this concept, if they can find a reasonable space. I know one of the owners (Ken Carty) - with one degree of separation anyway - so it's really good to see that they're doing well. WingNuts too.

Someone mentioned there is a Burgoo going into West Van. Is it already open?

Whaaa? :wub:

Take a look back on page 12, makanmakan first posted in a string of four, on October 18th. :smile: (and, it didn't appear to be physcially in the Quay.)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Does anyone know what is going on with the old Cocco Pazzo space??

I'm curious.....

Last Dollar begets First Quarter

Manny Ferreira's new restaurant in the former Coco Pazzo space will be called Senova. It's named after his hometown in Portugal, but also means 'first quarter', not in the KPMG kind of way, but as in an area of the city. An area of our city, let it be said, where it's notoriously hard to separate the residents from their quarters. David Radler is a neighbour, but recent reports are that he'll be out of town for a while.

News, in a nutshell.

I read in the latest Dine & Dash that Senova opened on Friday evening. News anyone?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Just heard about a new sushi bar opening in Richmond called Sushikan. Supposidly it is opening on November, 21. They seem to have a basic website up at:

http://sushikan.com/ that says "Japan's #1 Award Winning Master Sushi Chef: Chef Yamazaki."

I am not familiar with Chef Yamazaki. Anyone know anything more?

Cheers!

on the very rainy walk home tonight, i noticed a couple people sitting in aelfe - as well as a light shining a large, red, "a" logo onto the sidewalk. (were it not for the light i would have walked on past, as i had my neck tucked in my collar, doing the 'forgot the 'brella' dash. it was just after midnight, perhaps they're open late? i'll check on a drier night.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

New Coffee Shop opening on Main street by 10th avenue. I first thought all the construction was going to give way to a Tim Horton's but I just noticed a sign that said something like "West Coffee". Actually I didn't get a good look so I'll update with the correct name once I find out.

This is odd I think since there is Soma (two doors down) and Lugs (across the street) not to mention Our Town on the opposite corner. 4 coffee shops in a one block radius?

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

New Coffee Shop opening on Main street by 10th avenue.

This is odd I think since there is Soma (two doors down) and Lugs (across the street) not to mention Our Town on the opposite corner.  4 coffee shops in a one block radius?

Plus Cuppa Joe, too! I think there's still room for more of an artisan (dare I say 'upmarket'?) coffee place around Main & B'way. The coffee at SoMa, while in a nice room with decent staff, is not well-made and of the dusty-cardboardish variety. Cuppa Joe is rather generic and boring. The best coffee around is at Lugz, still not superb but quite decent, but the room could use some sort of focus (ie- more chairs, better layout) or at least a good scrubbin'. If the new place were to do an Origins program, or follow an Artigiano route, I think they'd do quite well. Either way, Main & B'way seems to be sittin' & sippin' central and I don't think the saturation of the block would hurt them. Different strokes, right?

k.

New Coffee Shop opening on Main street by 10th avenue.

This is odd I think since there is Soma (two doors down) and Lugs (across the street) not to mention Our Town on the opposite corner.  4 coffee shops in a one block radius?

Plus Cuppa Joe, too! I think there's still room for more of an artisan (dare I say 'upmarket'?) coffee place around Main & B'way. The coffee at SoMa, while in a nice room with decent staff, is not well-made and of the dusty-cardboardish variety. Cuppa Joe is rather generic and boring. The best coffee around is at Lugz, still not superb but quite decent, but the room could use some sort of focus (ie- more chairs, better layout) or at least a good scrubbin'. If the new place were to do an Origins program, or follow an Artigiano route, I think they'd do quite well. Either way, Main & B'way seems to be sittin' & sippin' central and I don't think the saturation of the block would hurt them. Different strokes, right?

k.

You speak the truth brutha

After living off Main in Loftland for 10 years and recently moving the "Drive" yawwwn...... I must confess I miss the ol' hood much. I miss being a few blocks away from aurora as well.

Main is by far the hip area in the city.

Yaletown are are for pretenders. Main is today, what Joy Division was and is for

post modern R&R.

What the Drive is missing is a fine dining room yet casual.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........Whata think Kurtisk???

Pardon the presumptuousness, Elijah Craig 18 is damn fine Bourbon. I blame the whisk(e)y.

Cheers, Steve

slowfood/slowwine

For something new on the east side, there's La Cucina del Diavolo. Offering "wickedly good home made [sic] sins for your belly", the cafe is located at 1701 Powell Street in the space formerly occupied by the ARC Cafe. The November 3 edition of Dine & Dash (click) dishes that it's the baby of Lela Selmo and Colin Macdonald, two recent pastry school graduates.

Sounds like it's high time for another desserting expedition.

Joie Alvaro Kent

A few things...

~ I'm very excited about the new Banana Leaf opening in the old Sausi's spot on Broadway. Jamie, do you anticipate Bruno opening another spot, or is it time for him to finally sit back?

~ Further east on Broadway, by Oak(ish) there's a new "Argentinian Cusine" place whose name escapes me. I'm trying to reflect on what cuisine made Argentina particular (from the rest of S.A.), I only have spent time in Buenos Aires but who knows, maybe I missed somethin'. Anyone got details on the place?

~ Rumour has it that Habit's a go on November 14th. I hear they're gonna be open 'til 2. If that's true, we'll see y'all there after work!

k.

~ Rumour has it that Habit's a go on November 14th.  I hear they're gonna be open 'til 2.  If that's true, we'll see y'all there after work!

k.

Wow I wanna peak inside tomorrow :)