• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Does anyone know what is going on with the old Cocco Pazzo space??

I'm curious.....

Last Dollar begets First Quarter

Manny Ferreira's new restaurant in the former Coco Pazzo space will be called Senova. It's named after his hometown in Portugal, but also means 'first quarter', not in the KPMG kind of way, but as in an area of the city. An area of our city, let it be said, where it's notoriously hard to separate the residents from their quarters. David Radler is a neighbour, but recent reports are that he'll be out of town for a while.

News, in a nutshell.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

A Burrito Brothers, if I recall the name correctly, is opening on Commercial Drive, at the corner of 1st Avenue, where the Java place (coffee shop) used to be.

:smile:

you beat me to it! :raz: we just drove by. i think it's called the red burrito, and the side note said something about your neighborhood burrito and taco joint.

Quentina

I LOVE Burrito Brothers!

QUOTE(kurtisk @ Oct 16 2005, 02:27 PM)

I LOVE Burrito Brothers!

I second that motion.

My apologies, I made an error. See correction above^. :rolleyes:

Saw it again today, and thought, aw shucks!! :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

A Burrito Brothers, if I recall the name correctly, is opening on Commercial Drive, at the corner of 1st Avenue, where the Java place (coffee shop) used to be.

:smile:

you beat me to it! :raz: we just drove by. i think it's called the red burrito, and the side note said something about your neighborhood burrito and taco joint.

Yup, you're absolutely right! :biggrin:

courtesy of jsolomon

not sure if this has been posted yet, but we were at wingnuts last night and was informed that they've secured a location in lonsdale quay area for the next burgoo. they're also looking for a location for a second wingnuts!

Quentina

not sure if this has been posted yet, but we were at wingnuts last night and was informed that they've secured a location in lonsdale quay area for the next burgoo.  they're also looking for a location for a second wingnuts!

I wish anyone all the success in the world, but I really hope that this doesn't negatively impact the soup cafe in the quay. I will be very sad if I can't buy his stocks anymore.

not sure if this has been posted yet, but we were at wingnuts last night and was informed that they've secured a location in lonsdale quay area for the next burgoo.  they're also looking for a location for a second wingnuts!

I wish anyone all the success in the world, but I really hope that this doesn't negatively impact the soup cafe in the quay. I will be very sad if I can't buy his stocks anymore.

from what i understand, it's not going to be right inside the quay, but somewhere on lonsdale. next to a greek restaurant called anatoli, i think.

Quentina

Nice. I'm a big fan of comfort food. I'll be making a trip when it opens.

Rumour has it there's a few things on the go on Main street as well. Someone told me <gasp> that a Tim Horton's was opening on the main floor of my building on 10th and Main. I don't buy it. I guess we will find out soon enough.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Sciue opened yesterday, so if anyone is still looking for sexual innuendo on their lunch hour....bon ape tit.

Yes and it is worth a visit as they are offering samples of everything for $2 this week. Yesterday I had two small slices of the Pane Romano - one with grilled peppers, one with pesto. Both were delicious. If you can get a piece straight from the oven - molto delicious.

The space itself is large, airy and modern with lots of seating and a patio area. No sign of the couple from the website.

Cheers,

Anne

New restaurant in Richmond, on 3 Road at Westminster Highway (west side), called Sante Fe, I believe. I think there was a different restaurant there before. Appears to be an attempt at high-end quality dining, presumably fusion cuisine, with Asian / Central American / West coast influences?

Nice assortment of cold and hot appetizer selections and entrees, but certainly not inexpensive, some of the entrees were in the high $20's, one was over $30. Salmon, halibut, veal and filet mignon I think I remember seeing on the menu posted by the door. Seems strange at this location but certainly if it is good, definitely has been lacking as far as I can tell in Richmond.

courtesy of jsolomon

New restaurant in Richmond, on 3 Road at Westminster Highway (west side), called Sante Fe, I believe.  I think there was a different restaurant there before.  Appears to be an attempt at high-end quality dining, presumably fusion cuisine, with Asian / Central American / West coast influences? 

Nice assortment of cold and hot appetizer selections and entrees, but certainly not inexpensive, some of the entrees were in the high $20's, one was over $30.  Salmon, halibut, veal and filet mignon I think I remember seeing on the menu posted by the door.  Seems strange at this location but certainly if it is good, definitely has been lacking as far as I can tell in Richmond.

Bully for you for beating the local Richmond expert, Keith Talent, to the punch.

Do they have a website ? I think I will be out in that direction soon and might need a place to dine with family.

Cheers

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Bully for you for beating the local Richmond expert, Keith Talent, to the punch.

Do they have a website ? I think I will be out in that direction soon and might need a place to dine with family.

Cheers

Neil

I think they must have just opened very very recently, I can't find a phone number even on line (haven't tried the verbal 411 version), let alone a website. However, it is just down the road, about a block or so and around the corner from his fave dim sum place, so perhaps he might give it a look see and let you know what he thinks. :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

You double-posted.. tsk tsk :raz:

Here's the phone number: (604) 273-3400 (apparently it's their fax too??)

Address is: 6091 - No. 3 Road

They posted an ad in the Sun/Province (which expired by now), but remnants from the googlebot show:

Sous Chef

Employer: LeRosa

Date: 10-04-2005

fine dining restaurant OPENING SOON in Richmond seeks Sous Chef, servers, line cooks, pastry chef & kitchen helper. Fax Res: 604-273-3400...

Edited by rêvasser (log)

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

You double-posted.. tsk tsk  :raz:

Here's the phone number:  (604) 273-3400 

Aw shucks, thanks for letting me know! P.C. froze, so I clicked on A.R. again, should've checked. I'll plead with Daddy-A to delete one I guess. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the phone number. :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

You double-posted.. tsk tsk  :raz:

Here's the phone number:  (604) 273-3400 

Aw shucks, thanks for letting me know! P.C. froze, so I clicked on A.R. again, should've checked. I'll plead with Daddy-A to delete one I guess. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the phone number. :smile:

Ah, no prob. The restaurant I think is called "Santa Fe", which makes more sense.. naming itself after some place in the US IIRC...

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

My travels in the last few days.

Habit is a bit delayed but the space looks great. Pretty much a full restructuring inside. Look for a more kicked back Evoke design this time around (certainly more relaxed than Glowbal, Crush, and Lilykate). 60 seats. 5 seat bar. Polished concrete floors. One long banquette, lots of birch, several booths, and a simplified menu with small plates of global reach. Still very much under construction. Good to go first week of November.

Scuie is awesome and I hope they have it in mind for a franchise. Quality pizza and pane romano with a selection that varies daily. Heart warming pasta fagioli soup. Perfect gnocchi (my favourite winter buddies). Suprisingly good wines at a 5.95 to 7.95 price point per glass. The crowds were tremendous (at 3pm?!). Off to an excellent start (would love to hear one of the pros here - hopkin, vin, barret - tell me of the quality of their coffee). Baristas looked studious. Open two days.

Yagger's looks to be a lot of fun for some late night nosh and not a few pints. Played a game of poker and helped christen the Jaegermeister machine the other night. The unfinished look was pretty minimal. Nothing fancy, but then again I wasn't privy to any finishing touches. Weird location (across from Cassis and next to the Ramada). Eager to try Stuart Irving's menu once it's scored. Interesting to see what he comes up with outside Wild Rice.

Sean Sherwood has a new chef for Lucy Mae Brown that will eventually move to Century to create a menu. I don't think I've ever heard a better name than this: Remy Du Bois. He's apparently very young, and plucked for the Ritz Carlton in Boston (I believe). Never met him, but I'm attending a staff tasting tomorrow and I'll post again. There's talk of an Opening Soon show for Century (also in the running - Emad Yacoubi's Sansafir on Granville - opeming aimed for April). Still very much under construction. Doors likely to open in January.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I'm not Andrew, but:

• Habit is going into the space formerly occupied by Typhoon on Main Street: 2610 Main Street at 10th, east side of the street.
  • Sciue is downtown: 800 West Pender Street at Howe.
  • Yagger's is at 433 West Pender; as Andrew said, across from Cassis and next to the Ramada.
  • Sansafir is going into a space on the 1000 block of Granville Street.
  • Century will be in the Richard's Street space formerly occupied by Lola's and Up & Down (the latter was formerly Ballantyne's): 432 Richards Street to be specific.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks, Joie.

Another question:

Has anyone tried Red Pepper in the 1400 block Granville? It is in the space formerly known as Velvet.

I haven't. But it's not in the old Velvet spot, it's more toward Hemlock. I think it's a donair place in Velvet...

While we're on it, anyone know what Yoo Choi from Velvet is doing now?

k

edited 'cause sometimes I can't spell worth shite

Edited by kurtisk (log)