• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Sorry if this one has already be covered ...

Vintropolis in Kelowna has changed hands and is now The Rotten Grape. Didn't ask about ownership, or where the original folk have moved ... was too busy petting the hostesses new Portugese Water Dog :rolleyes:

Report on The Rotten Grape when I get back ....

A,

As I understand it Epic on 1st and Cypress is doing fairly well. I really enjoyed the Zucchini Risotto on Grilled Portabello Mushroom. Very simple, but very good. Unpretentious in a cool little room, decent wine, good food.

Check it out and see what you think.

Edited by McTee (log)

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

Sorry if this one has already be covered ...

Vintropolis in Kelowna has changed hands and is now The Rotten Grape.  Didn't ask about ownership, or where the original folk have moved ... was too busy petting the hostesses new Portugese Water Dog :rolleyes:

Report on The Rotten Grape when I get back ....

A,

I ate at this place a few weeks ago (mid-August) and I'll say this:

The food was good (when we got it)

My lady has a very sensitive dairy allergy, and the server returned to the table 4 times to tell us that the different dishes that we had asked for could not be prepared to accommodate the allergy. Now, as an industry professional, I am fully aware that it is difficult to order around such an allergy, but 30 minutes after placing the order and making the server aware of the situation, we were still discussing what could and couldn't be made. In my opinion, at the time that the food should be hitting the table, we were still discussing the order. Unimpressed.

I will say, however, that the server apologized at the end of the meal, and what scored points with me is that he acknowledged what he was apologizing for - providing uninformed service. He mentioned new ownership, but at least he showed that he was intelligent enough to see what was going on.

Ian McTavish

As I understand it Epic on 1st and Cypress is doing fairly well.

Funny that doesn't jibe with the waiter polishing his car or the hostess gazing off the balcony that I see when I cycle by of an eveneing.

Some people in the place sometimes true.

Down the street I see the Original Bread Garden has cut back it's hours again.

The 'hood ain't happenin' like it once was..... :unsure:

As I understand it Epic on 1st and Cypress is doing fairly well.

Funny that doesn't jibe with the waiter polishing his car or the hostess gazing off the balcony that I see when I cycle by of an eveneing.

Some people in the place sometimes true.

Down the street I see the Original Bread Garden has cut back it's hours again.

The 'hood ain't happenin' like it once was..... :unsure:

Cycling by you notice that the waiter is polishing his car? Do you know the waiter? How do you know that the person polishing the car is the waiter in this restaurant? Do you know any restaurant owners that would let a waiter polish his car in his uniform, risking it getting soiled? Did you know that they don't employ a hostess?

Excuse me if I don't interpret your observations while "cycling by" as being very accurate, given the fact that it is upstairs.

Ian McTavish

Sooooo.... are you saying that owning a restaurant isn't fun?  Or perhaps just that a wealthy lady  might not have a fricken clue about the unbelievable amount of work, blood, sweat and tears that go into operating a food related business.  :raz:  :biggrin:

Um, let's say she's 'new' to the industry.

k.

Edited by kurtisk (log)

Is it true that Sauci's on Broadway will be no more?

I heard that Banana leaf is moving in.

Would be a nice addition to the area...

Are they moving from their other location on Broadway (which I enjoyed a meal at a couple of weeks ago), or would it be an additional location?

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Cycling by you notice that the waiter is polishing his car?  Do you know the waiter?  How do you know that the person polishing the car is the waiter in this restaurant?

He's the same guy I see serving tables when I cycle by.

Do you know any restaurant owners that would let a waiter polish his car in his uniform, risking it getting soiled?

When you've lived in a city like Vancouver as long as I have you'll see a lot of strange sights-someone polishing their car on a break is no stranger than someone smoking a cigarette-tobacco or otherwise.

Since when did dark pants/white shirt constitute a 'uniform'?

Did you know that they don't employ a hostess?

So then I wonder who that winsome looking blonde is gazing out when the place is empty-the Chef?
Excuse me if I don't interpret your observations while "cycling by" as being very accurate, given the fact that it is upstairs.

Given as how you're a 'cager' you have no idea how much someone standing on a bicycle can see.

I can tell you this-if the window seats are full the place is doing well-if Staff is standing gazing off an empty balcony prime time on a summer night it isn't.

Cotton Club-upstairs @ the entrance to Granville Island-'closed for renovations'.

Not surprising considering it's disorienting melange of a menu consisting of Turkish food and burgers/nachos and other greasy classics.

The Turkish was god awful the one time I tried it.

Blue Planet Café-Fourth & Stephens-Bailiff Notice on door. :rolleyes:

Mum's Gelati-just off 4th is gone altogether space is empty.Still open in the West End though.

Edited by Sam Salmon (log)

Cycling by you notice that the waiter is polishing his car?  Do you know the waiter?  How do you know that the person polishing the car is the waiter in this restaurant?

Do you know any restaurant owners that would let a waiter polish his car in his uniform, risking it getting soiled?

When you've lived in a city like Vancouver as long as I have you'll see a lot of strange sights-someone polishing their car on a break is no stranger than someone smoking a cigarette-tobacco or otherwise.

So then I wonder who that winsome looking blonde is gazing out when the place is empty-the Chef?

Given as how you're a 'cager' you have no idea how much someone standing on a bicycle can see.

I can tell you this-if the window seats are full the place is doing well-if Staff is standing gazing off an empty balcony prime time on a summer night it isn't.

Sam - I am proud of your polite and articulate response here.

Gastronomista

And to bring this back to food.... I wonder exactly where the Blue Planet Cafe was at 4th and Stephens.... does not ring a bell in the slightest.....  Unless it was the offshoot of the Blue Parrot on Granville Island... is that the place?  I really must get in better touch with all these places in my 'hood.

Hmmmm....yes and Judging by the fact that I've yet to see you down at The Living Room, I'll second that :raz:

You're right Erik.... I do need to come on down for dinner at the Living Room very soon... now that it's fall, I feel more in the mood to dine out so I'm sure you will see me (and some of my pals :biggrin: ) before the season is over.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Sam - I am proud of your polite and articulate response here.

Perhaps I sounded a little heated, and for that I apologize. I know the restaurant quite well, and there are some inconsistencies with Sam's observations.

Black pants/white shirt is not what the servers wear at Epic. Granted they have had some struggles early in the summer, but my original comment is that from what I hear now, in early September - the place is doing alright.

Ian McTavish

• 2 weeks later...
Recently heard that Ken Bogas's Coco Pazzo has closed. . .

Unfortunately the room itself was loud and precluded any conversation whatsoever. I used to joke that the only people who ate there on a regular basis where those whose marriage was in trouble - you couldn't talk to each other even if you wanted to.

Coco Pazzo has indeed closed and the proprietor, who also closed Mangiamo and Saltimbocca (the unpaid architect at the time said "Bogas by name and by nature"), reportedly left a number of supliers on the hook, apparently including one local winery for five large. The bailiff's sign on the door says that $22,000 is owing on back rent; Bogas tells a different story.

The crowd often resembled a Crofton House PTA meeting--with Hermes scarves aflutter, alligator shirts and Polo aftershave aplenty. Many of them had long decamped for Henry's Kitchen at half the price and fine dining in Greater Kerrisdale is once again no more.

Hey, the wife and I ate at Coco Pazzo and as far as I know our relationship is healthy... The hard walls did lead to loud conversations, but I liked the room's feel nonetheless (well except for the open kitchen). There were some well made up couples dining there for sure, but I also saw a couple younger families there on occasion, and when 8-10 year old kids are enjoying that type of food it makes up for the bronzed but aging trophy wife sitting two tables down.

I am sad to see it go, it was one of the decent options close to home. However, I suppose it a not surprise given the signs leading up to this point. (Many many promotions and long-time staff leaving.)

I heard a rumour last night that the landlord had already signed a lease with another restauranteur before the door was locked - but it could not be confirmed who. Also - as I pray this could be true - another at the table mentioned that Andrey Durbach had been by to check out the space. ANOTHER PARKSIDE IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD!!! If only. Anyone have the true story??

i`ve just heard on the grapevine that the Coco Pazzo space has been aquired by the people of Le Gavroche.

tt

i`ve just heard on the grapevine that the Coco Pazzo space has been aquired by the people of Le Gavroche.

Look for something belying Manny's Portuguese provenance.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Quite the cryptic hint ... "belying" - so Manny is deviating from his Portuguese roots? Does that mean he is adapting them, or shifting to a completely different culinary realm? I suppose it's futile for me to try to get a definitive answer :wacko:

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Quite the cryptic hint ... "belying" - so Manny is deviating from his Portuguese roots?  Does that mean he is adapting them, or shifting to a completely different culinary realm?  I suppose it's futile for me to try to get a definitive answer  :wacko:

Not at all. Poor choice of words on my part TS; I should have said 'speaking to' his Portuguese roots.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

We are happy to announce that we have opened our Vera's burger Shack UBC location 2188 Western Parkway, Open for now from 11 to 11 :biggrin: 604-221-8372

It is licensed serving R and B red devil ale and Granville Island LAger, Further if you are looking to watch a game check out our 42 inch plasma screen. :shock::biggrin:

Hope to see you there

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Noticed a sign indicating a property to be built on a newly excavated site, on Broadway, across from Cru, Memphis Blues, Fortune Garden, Red Pepper, etc., just east of Granville.

Seems it probably is http://www.joeysmedgrill.com/home.html (sorry, but the linky thing wouldn't work for me).

Sign said: "Joeys, opening when we're ready."

Are we? :unsure:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Illumine is slated for opening mid-September. A well constructed seasonal menu should overcome some of the seasonal aspect of business in this 'burb, as I'm sure 95% of diners are locals, with the occasional group of golfers coming back from Point Roberts, and visiting family members, making up the balance of diners-out.

John

John,

Has Illumine opened yet? Any early reports? Care to take one for the team?

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Illumine is slated for opening mid-September. A well constructed seasonal menu should overcome some of the seasonal aspect of business in this 'burb, as I'm sure 95% of diners are locals, with the occasional group of golfers coming back from Point Roberts, and visiting family members, making up the balance of diners-out.

John

John,

Has Illumine opened yet? Any early reports? Care to take one for the team?

Jamie

Papered-over windows and very little illumination when I went by last night Jamie! Very timely that you should be following up this evening though, as I hear from employees-to-be that the call up was issued tonight, and that the doors will be opening next Friday. Menu and first impressions to follow soon.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

In the space formerly occupied by Lesley Stowe Fine Foods, I saw a sign that read "quince... coming soon".

Who's got the dish on this?

Promising a September start-up, here's Quince's still-static website.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

In the space formerly occupied by Lesley Stowe Fine Foods, I saw a sign that read "quince... coming soon".

Who's got the dish on this?

Promising a September start-up, here's Quince's still-static website.

Cycling by on Friday I had quick look inside.

The place is being gutted AFAICT -much remains to be done.

Noticed a sign indicating a property to be built on a newly excavated site, on Broadway, across from Cru, Memphis Blues, Fortune Garden, Red Pepper, etc., just east of Granville. 

Seems it probably is http://www.joeysmedgrill.com/home.html (sorry, but the linky thing wouldn't work for me).

Sign said:  "Joeys, opening when we're ready."

Are we?    :unsure:

I certainly am, Cayenne. I think the Joey's story is fascinating. And in six months we'll have three of the best CFD concepts in the world strung along a three block stretch of West Broadway. That will be more convenient for the many concept owners and managers who come from Europe and the US each year to examine just how Earls, Cactus Club and Joey's got so good.

I eat in the Kelowna Joey's fairly frequently because it's handy to many of our suppliers' and sub-cantractors' offices. I have yet to have a poor experience there, and many that have seen significantly better food and service than in many independent restaurants of foodie-derived reputation.

One clue to their success might be just to look at their development chefs: Michael Noble at Earls; Chris Mills at Joey's; Julian Bond at Cactus Club. Not bad. Another clue is that they are family owned and operated.

Joey's recent purchase of the Cucina! Cucina! chainlet in Washington will be an interesting foray into that concept-heavy market.

I think they'll do rather well.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine