• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Openings and closings (2004–2005)

jamiemaw

Minna and Jean-Yves Benoit's (ex-L'Emotion) bistro, Mistral, is scheduled to open Thursday, September 8th on the West Side. More details to follow.

As threatened: the address is 2585 West Broadway; telephone 733-0046.

This block now affords a variety of dining options: Moderne Burger, Lumiere, KFC, Le Point Blanc etc.

But clearly, Mistral will go toe-to-toe with Feenie's.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

But clearly, Mistral will go toe-to-toe with Feenie's.

I know were I will be going. I've been to Feenie's now a number of times and only once was the service staff good. It is packed - but the clientele it attracts are really obnoxious - maybe I am getting old, but these are the kind of people who take the word 'bling-bling' way too seriously. All the women seem to in a Paris Hilton look-alike contest (only not as smart...)

Edited by canucklehead (log)

actually i believe it was because of ongoing hassle from the liquor authority.

That's a real shame.... Zizane's was an awesome little hole inthe wall sort of place that my friends and I really enjoyed. Silvane was obnozious (sp?) at times but very entertaining ... esp when he was hitting on the ladies.

Oh yeah, the poutine and Quebecois beer was tres fantastic. Ce domage.

Zut alor.

(Ou est la plage?

And that's all the French I remember from Gr 9.)

Helmcken & Richards -at the moment, IMO,  still a rather unfortunate corner and the evening clientale is not really into dining.  There was the Montenegro Tapas (in the space that I think was formerly occupied by the Cozy Cafe).  Montenegros was extremely short lived but it seems another entrenpreneur is willing to give the location a go and was busy do renovations to the space over the last few days.

I walked past here the other night (as opposed to strolling past, like the other ladies on the block :wink: ) and saw the renovations in progress. A name has appeared on the door: ælfe. There's an accent in there somewhere too, for added confusion.

Now I hate to pass judgment on a place before it even opens, but this place is doomed to failure for a few reasons:

1. Kiss of death location. This is the one block of Yaletown that has resisted yuppification. You've got hookers on the sidewalks, hookers in the massage parlour, barfights courtesy the guido clientele at Richards on Richards, some sort of fixed-income housing development across the street, a street youth shelter a block up the road, and did I mention the hookers? This block is like the 7th circle of Dante's infernal Hell and the Cozy Corner/Montenegro/ælfe space is right at its core.

2. Unpronounceable name. Is it Alf? Alfie? Elf? Eelf? Eeelfuh? Alfalfa? Dining is not supposed to be an intellectually taxing activity.

3. UnGoogle-able name. The æ is beyond most people's keyboard prowess (Alt+0230 for the curious), and Google just ends up turning it into "ae". All you get is a pile of results for some Spanish language organization.

I shall watch this little corner with much curiousity.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

You've got hookers on the sidewalks, hookers in the massage parlour, barfights courtesy the guido clientele at Richards on Richards, some sort of fixed-income housing development across the street, a street youth shelter a block up the road, and did I mention the hookers?

You had me at hooker.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

I will add to my previous post re ælfe:

Reason #4 it will not be successful: it's actual name is even more ridiculous than that smushed-vowel atrocity above. It is the Plus Alpha Global Sushi & Bar. Plus Alpha Global? That sounds like one those improbably named ESL language schools, not a restaurant.

www.plusalfa.com was frosted on the window on my journey past the place today. You can see their logo, and the accent aigu is neither over the a nor the e - it's over both. Is this even a letter? Seriously dudes.

Bah.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I walked past here the other night...as opposed to strolling .....

You've got hookers on the sidewalks, hookers in the massage parlour, barfights courtesy the guido clientele at Richards on Richards, some sort of fixed-income housing development across the street, a street youth shelter a block up the road, and did I mention the hookers?

Well Heck everybody has a target market right?

Adios Tacos del Mar in Kerrisdale - if you can't make money selling tacos within 100 yards of a highschool I don't know what this world is coming to.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Hi,

I live in Tsawwassen where there is a serious lack of good dining out options. There is a space in a mini mall being renovated and rumour on the street has it that it is going to be a upscale casual restaurant. I've heard the owner has some connection to Umberto's. I'm really hoping that this will be a glimmer of light in our culinary wasteland. Does anyone know anything else about this?

Hi,

I live in Tsawwassen where there is a serious lack of good dining out options.  There is a space in a mini mall being renovated and rumour on the street has it that it is going to be a upscale casual restaurant.  I've heard the owner has some connection to Umberto's.  I'm really hoping that this will be a glimmer of light in our culinary wasteland.  Does anyone know anything else about this?

I am in Downtown and I have heard the same thing. They have been renovating a restaurant for ages that had a renovation not too long ago. I hope they have not waited too long and missed the boat. I understand that the summer season is very good out there and the winters are very slow. I would hate to see someone drag their heels on a reno and miss all of the business

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Hi,

I live in Tsawwassen where there is a serious lack of good dining out options.  There is a space in a mini mall being renovated and rumour on the street has it that it is going to be a upscale casual restaurant.  I've heard the owner has some connection to Umberto's.  I'm really hoping that this will be a glimmer of light in our culinary wasteland.  Does anyone know anything else about this?

"Glimmer of light" is very appropriate, as the name of the new European (Tuscan and French) resto to come to South Delta, is Illumine! My apologies to the chef, featured in last week's Delta Optimist, whose name escapes me, but he is indeed a Menghi alumni. He's taken over, and added some really nice features to, the old Reo's and Johnny O's (short-lived) Roadhouse stall on Tsawwassen's "restaurant row". (for "row", read fish and chips, pizza et al, and Chinese)!

We were at Southside Grill last Saturday, which was, sadly, a bit tired culinarily, and not at it's previous form at all. Lets hope the new competition gets them back on their game.

Illumine is slated for opening mid-September. A well constructed seasonal menu should overcome some of the seasonal aspect of business in this 'burb, as I'm sure 95% of diners are locals, with the occasional group of golfers coming back from Point Roberts, and visiting family members, making up the balance of diners-out.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Stinky Cook Posted Yesterday, 10:47 AM

I saw some construction activity in an old diner space on the 400 block of east Powell St. (near the sunrise market). I've heard it may be some type of gastro pub. Anyone know anything?

The old diner space in question is Tommy’s Diner and the construction activity was actually the space being set for a scene from “The Collector” TV series.

It is unlikely that you will see a relaunching of Tommy’s in the near future as the landlord is looking for an unrealistic rent of $2500 per month.

The gastro pub that you heard about in the 400 block of Powell Street is rumored to be a project owned and designed by Terry of Wild Rice fame.

Also in the hood, the Ovaltine is about to be put up for sale and we are about to launch “Fetch” an upmarket hot dog cart on the corner of Abbott and Water Street.

Cheers,

Sean Heather

MAY THE WIND AT YOUR BACK ALWAYS BE YOUR OWN, MAY THE ROAD RISE TO MEET YOU AND SPLIT YOUR FOREHEAD AND IF YOU COULD SHITE WALKING YOU'D BE A HORSE OF A MAN

the Ovaltine is about to be put up for sale

Dudes, someone lend me $780,000. :biggrin:

ovaltine3.jpg

Nice to see a post from you, Sean. I spoke with Terry Storey last month about it, the concept sounds interesting. Another daring location. Fall is shaping up nicely. :smile:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

the Ovaltine is about to be put up for sale

Dudes, someone lend me $780,000. :biggrin:

ovaltine3.jpg

Nice to see a post from you, Sean. I spoke with Terry Storey last month about it, the concept sounds interesting. Another daring location. Fall is shaping up nicely. :smile:

So what does that $780,000 get you? I am assuming that, at that price, you get the whole shebang... building, licenses, equipment, neon, trade secrets etc.

Is this considered a reasonable outlay of cash for what you get?

Just curious as I've been looking at the cost of restaurants on one of the Gulf Islands (at this point, it's pure speculation/research/whathaveyou) and am wondering what constitutes good value and what does not.

BOT: .... any more news about that place on West Fourth that took over Il Ducato? I wonder how they are fairing so close to Bimini's (seemed like direct competition if I recall correctly).

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

BOT: .... any more news about that place on West Fourth that took over Il Ducato?  I wonder how they are fairing so close to Bimini's (seemed like direct competition if I recall correctly).

"The Distillery" is owned by a wealthy lady who thought it might be fun to open a restaurant. :huh: She hired Matt (Elwood's/Nevermind/Five Point) as a consultant, who got it up and running. It's been pretty quiet whenever I've been past, in contrast to the always-thumpin' Hell's Kitchen across the street.

k.

BOT: .... any more news about that place on West Fourth that took over Il Ducato?  I wonder how they are fairing so close to Bimini's (seemed like direct competition if I recall correctly).

"The Distillery" is owned by a wealthy lady who thought it might be fun to open a restaurant. :huh: She hired Matt (Elwood's/Nevermind/Five Point) as a consultant, who got it up and running. It's been pretty quiet whenever I've been past, in contrast to the always-thumpin' Hell's Kitchen across the street.

k.

Some people (such as the guys that run the kitsilano.ca blog) think it's because The Distillery lacks any good drinking specials. And obviously when people in the West Fourth area on Friday night are faced with choices between Nevermind, The Distillery, Bimini's, Chivana's, Hell's Kitchen, etc... They're gonna want a place that offers good value.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

k.

Sooooo.... are you saying that owning a restaurant isn't fun? Or perhaps just that a wealthy lady might not have a fricken clue about the unbelievable amount of work, blood, sweat and tears that go into operating a food related business. :raz::biggrin:

Thanks for identifying the spot as The Distillery.... even though I live in the 'hood, I hardly seem to venture down 4th Avenue as much as I used to.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Passed by some places on Broadway today..

Seems to be a new restaurant by the name of "Tango and Grill" (I think..) on Broadway and Oak. It's Argentinian cuisine, which I don't have a clue consists of.

Further east seems to be a nice curry takeout place called "Curry Point".

Red Pepper is also open (or at least the doors were), and glancing in, the décor looked very nice. The place seemed very mellow yet colourful. However right beside the entrance doors are two big wooden boards (I think windows were supposed to be placed here in theory), which seems like a shame because it really destroys the restaurant image.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

While Michelle was helping her sister move today in Kits I took Alex and Jack to Tangerine to say our goodbyes. It was a wonderful, sad brunch. We watched as many regular customers paid their respects with hugs and best wishes for the move to Main Street. It makes me smile to see a neighbourhood restaurant connect so solidly with the locals. But, as they say, the show goes on. The keys are handed over to the Hell's Kitchen folks on Monday, and the build continues at Habit. From what I hear the food concept is more global than regional, and the Asian influences (a la Tangerine) will be muted enough to invite others to play. Nice to hear the kitchen staff are making the move, too. We'll see them in October.

From the Hell's Kitchen folks, Mark and James:

"We will be taking over this space, closing for a week, re-opening around September 20th as Kitsilano's premiere tapas & wine bar, Abigail's Party. All you 6-year Tangerine loyalists out there, indeed I am one of you, rest assured that the fabulous tradition of Tangerine's brunch will be in safe hands at Abigail's, as well as what new things the night will bring. As Matisse's intended his art for the working man, the young French professional, so Abigail will serve for the young men and women of Vancouver - a place for relaxation, taste exploration, comfort and good times. We'll keep you posted on developments closer to opening.

Sounds intriguing...but all those beautiful tiles! :sad:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison