• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources of good quality chocolate

zaskar

Does anyone know of a website to purchase good quality chocolate for baking with (cakes, buttercreams, etc)?

I've been looking around and I see some sites and certain brands, but I don't know what quality they are.

If you could also recommend good quality brands also. I'm looking for White, dark, bitter, semisweet, milk etc.

Thanks,

-z

I buy direct from Scharffen BergerScharffen Berger

I think their product is superior and consistent.

I have tried just about every premium chocolate out there and keep coming back to this one because I get consistent results with their products.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You question comes at such an opportune time...

This may sound a little crazy, but I buy Lindt chocolate bunnies on after-Easter clearance. I've been quite satisfied with the quality of both the milk and the semi-sweet for nearly all recipes (including buttercreams). Even better: you can often find them for around $1 - $2 per bunny (or roughly $1.50 - $2.50 per pound) in early April. All you have to endure are the queer looks that will inevitably follow when you load up your shopping cart with 30 golden lupines.

Once I get those little bunnies home, I whisper sweet nothings in their ears and then brain, double bag in ziplock, and freeze them. [i've heard you shouldn't freeze chocolate, but its never given me any troubles to-date.]

Another benefit of this frugal fannie appproach to chocolate purchasing power is that the bunnies are hollow, and the broken up chunks are therefore a bit thin. This makes them very easy to work with, melt, and temper.

Good luck!

Andrea Castaneda

If there is a pastry shop that you specially like, ask them to sell you some chocolate. Most will gladly do so. Or if you want a large amount, ask them who is their supplier.

Is it cheaper than on the web? Maybe not but it may lead to an interresting relationship with your local pastry chef.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know where in the US you can find the Lidt Chocolate Bunnies?

I haven't seen any around.

There is a Lindt chocolate store in Boston....I know because I spent a fortune in there getting choclate bunnies, truffles etc. for the kids for Easter. Where there's one, there's usually more so try the major metro. areas. That is a cool idea...I'd like to try using one of their dark choc. bunnies for something, I like the dark stuff, it's pretty good for eating out of hand, should be good for cooking.