• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zion and Bryce

We were pleasantly surprised by the Bit and Spur in Springdale. Upscale mexican and mexicanish food, we ate there twice when we were in town last fall.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

This weekend I was In Flagstaff and I met Blake Spalding, one of the partners and chefs at Hell's Backbone Grill which is in nearby Boulder Utah. The place is all about "place based" foods (a la Chez Panis) and Ms. Spalding even reminds me a little of Alice Waters. I got a very very good impression, and though I've never been to the place...I've already begun to plan a pilgrimage there for next summer (12 hours from here in New Mexico).

I bought chef Spaldings new cookbook "With A Measure of Grace" which has very quickly become my favorite cookbook. Not only are the recipes terrific, but the photographs and the text are also excellent.

Several friends have raved about the food and the whole dining experience. The reviews on line look great too. There is also a nice looking Inn next to the restaurant ( with really good off seasion prices). They will open for the season this weekend. Check out the web site at www.hellsbackbonegrill.com

We stayed at Hell's Backbone in Boulder overnight last fall and it was a very positive experience. The fact of a restaurant run by Buddhist women in a very LDS town is fascinating. The room at the Inn was comfortable, and it is a very peaceful setting--birds, sunsets, a pond etc. The food was good, especially breakfast, dinner wasn't quite as good as I had hoped for, but for small town Utah it was fabulous. The service is relaxed (read--the food comes out slow), but if you just accept their pace it is a wonderful time.

Do not miss taking a hike up Calf Creek Falls Trail--it is a relaxed 3 or 4 hour hike (round trip) with a beautifull waterfall and pool at the end. We took several great drives/walks in the area, but Calf Creek was a highlight.

Fred Bramhall

I don't honestly remember the list that well, we found a nice bottle of wine for our one dinner there. Of course, you are in Utah, so liquor laws are interesting. I have no idea if BYO with a corkage is an acceptable practice there.

Fred Bramhall

We stayed at Hell's Backbone in Boulder overnight last fall and it was a very positive experience. The fact of a restaurant run by Buddhist women in a very LDS town is fascinating. The room at the Inn was comfortable, and it is a very peaceful setting--birds, sunsets, a pond etc. The food was good, especially breakfast, dinner wasn't quite as good as I had hoped for, but for small town Utah it was fabulous. The service is relaxed (read--the food comes out slow), but if you just accept their pace it is a wonderful time.

Do not miss taking a hike up Calf Creek Falls Trail--it is a relaxed 3 or 4 hour hike (round trip) with a beautifull waterfall and pool at the end. We took several great drives/walks in the area, but Calf Creek was a highlight.

Thanks so much for the tip about the hike to Calf Creek Falls. That's right up my alley.

Do you know how hot it gets there, in early August?

Not being particularly helpful here, but I always stay at Panguitch. It is much closer to Bryce and I like to start before sunrise. That way, you can catch the sunrise. There were wild horses bucking on the road and a young boy trying to rein them in. Promise. This is true. There was this truly awesome restaurant there. I dont recall their name, but the word that keeps coming to me is 'biker' even though it was a family style restaurant and was no biker bar. There were no bikers dining. I think it has something to do with their name or their emblem? Anyways, the breakfast was wonderful. I am yet to stay pancakes as wonderful and fluffy. The maple syrup was to die for..and the eggs..well..we had to wait a while for that...someone came to our table and apologised for the delay..said that they were fresh and from their backyard. My companion laughed and told me that the guy was only joking. I dont know if he was joking, but I wanted to believe that I had scrambled eggs from freshly laid eggs with the world's best pancakes.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...