• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Days in Philadelphia

EricaL

My husband and I live in NYC. We celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary by spending last Friday-Saturday in Phila. Arrived Friday AM and saw the Dali exhibit [not to miss], then checked into the Rittenhouse, then dined at Melograno. We brought a bottle of Zin, we each had separate apps & entrees and shared a pasta, all for about $100.00. Excellent food, attentive but not overly solicitous service and we did not feel as though we were being rushed out of there. That would never happen in NYC.

Next day went S Phila to shop the markets and then on to Chickie's for veggie and tuna subs to take home. We came home with only food and food related stuff in the trunk of our car.

Love your city.

Erica

:smile:

My husband and I live in NYC.  We celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary by spending last Friday-Saturday in Phila.  Arrived Friday AM and saw the Dali exhibit [not to miss], then checked into the Rittenhouse, then dined at Melograno.  We brought a bottle of Zin, we each had separate apps & entrees and shared a pasta, all for about $100.00. Excellent food, attentive but not overly solicitous service and we did not feel as though we were being rushed out of there.  That would never happen in NYC.

Next day went S Phila to shop the markets and then on to Chickie's for veggie and tuna subs to take home.  We came home with only food and food related stuff in the trunk of our car.

Love your city.

Erica

:smile:

Please come back again soon and often, Erica, and check out some of our other excellent eateries, both up- and downscale.

But do me another favor, willya? Don't let your New York friends learn too much about this place, and if they're thinking of moving out of NYC, trash this place a bit. The rents in Center City are already heading for the stratosphere, and the last thing we need is an influx of bargain-hunting New Yorkers bidding up the prices.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Here's a little tip for New Yorkers & Garden Staters traveling to Philly:

You can get there & back for $30 round trip on the regional trains.

Take NJ Transit to Trenton & pick up a SEPTA train from there into the city.

The round trip via Amtrak costs over $100. And altho Amtrak seems like it'd be quicker, if you actually map out the schedules & factor in your transfer times, the Trenton route is only 1/2 hour longer - 2 hrs 45 mins. vs 2 hrs 15 mins.

Support mass transit! Use it to enjoy some fine Philly food!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Here's a little tip for New Yorkers & Garden Staters traveling to Philly:

You can get there & back for $30 round trip on the regional trains.

Take NJ Transit to Trenton & pick up a SEPTA train from there into the city.

The round trip via Amtrak costs over $100.  And altho Amtrak seems like it'd be quicker, if you actually map out the schedules & factor in your transfer times, the Trenton route is only 1/2 hour longer - 2 hrs 45 mins. vs 2 hrs 15 mins.

Support mass transit!  Use it to enjoy some fine Philly food!

Off-topic, but . . . I used to use the Septa-NJT combo regularly in the distant past. Only problem is that neither operator guarantees the Trenton connection; if your Septa train is late, NJT won't delay departure, and vice versa; that means at least a half-hour wait, sometimes an hour. And woe to those who are returning and miss the last connection of the night -- then you've got up to a six-hour wait in the middle of the night.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Again, off topic, but the Chinatown buses are really cheap and if you want to go to Chinatown in Philly from NY or vice versa, it works well.

I think I read somewhere that it is $20 roundtrip and $12 each way.

Again, off topic, but the Chinatown buses are really cheap and if you want to go to Chinatown in Philly from NY or vice versa, it works well.

I think I read somewhere that it is $20 roundtrip and $12 each way.

I think Greyhound/Peter Pan has the same fare but it takes you to the Port Authority bus terminal (which everyone should experience at least once in their lives) in NYC, which might be more convenient depending on where you're headed.