• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Mangoes

FaustianBargain

I'm a big fan of sweet mango Lassi. Essentially it's a mango smoothy made with mangos, yogurt, sugar and ice. I believe it originated in India.

I'm sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people in this country are fed up with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!

I'm a big fan of sweet mango Lassi. Essentially it's a mango smoothy made with mangos, yogurt, sugar and ice. I believe it originated in India.

Ahh, yes. But sweet mango lassi is made from ripe, sweet(mmm) mangoes. I am looking for raw, unripe mango recipes. There are plenty of Indian recipes, but I am looking for raw mango pairings..with fish/shellfish or as a relish for certain meats..i am thinking fatty meats as the mango will cut through the fat...maybe with something bland?

raw, unripe green mangos taste tart...tastebuds puckeringly, eye lids squishing tart..traditionally, they(because of the tartness) match well with chillies(or paprika..which is a touch sweeter than red chilli powder).

Mango Kuchela. click

What is mango kuchela. What do you do with this? Is it a chutney?

And if anyone has a mango pickle recipe, I'd love to make this.

I just used two raw mangoes to make a quick Indian pickle. I have to check my cookbook for the other 'authentic' mango pickle recipes. These are rather elaborate as they require a different variety of mango and about two weeks to 'mature'. The whole thing took me about 10 minutes.

The quick mango pickle:

peel mangoes

grate mango..to the seed

heat oil+add black mustard seeds until they splutter

asafoetida+red chilli powder+salt to season

add the grated mangoes

the finer it is grated, the quicker it cooks.

I took about 5 minutes. My instructions ask me to use a little extra oil as it will keep the pickle(more like a relish, actually)longer.

Aam mutton (mutton being hard to come by, I usually make it with mature lamb). It's a Pujabi stew of lamb shoulder, grated underripe mangos, yogurt and spices. The mangos nearly dissolve and their acidity is a fine foil for the fatty lamb. If you'd like details, say the word.

I grew up eating them in thin slices sprinkled with lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Gosh, haven't had that in a while- you've inspired a craving :biggrin:

Also, I've only had green papaya salad once, but I bet that green mango would sub in well for the papaya.

Mango Kuchela. click

What is mango kuchela. What do you do with this? Is it a chutney?

And if anyone has a mango pickle recipe, I'd love to make this.

Hi Akiko.

Kuchela is a Caribbean condiment.

I've used it to top a (hot or cold) rice and beans dish with a spoonful of yogurt, toasted cumin seed, lots of fresh lime and cilantro.

Its a nice addition to a fried pork and eggplant pita with shredded fresh vegetables- red onion, carrots, bell pepper and lettuce or cabbage.

It also pairs well with curries, tho I prefer to use it in addition to a sweet chutney.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

brunoise

then poach scraps (sous vide at 65C) with 10% weight in tpt syrup from skins/stone

Puree cooked scraps and vac brunoise inside puree.

Allow to rest together overnight

you get a pretty remarkable green mango "compote"

Aam mutton (mutton being hard to come by, I usually make it with mature lamb). It's a Pujabi stew of lamb shoulder, grated underripe mangos, yogurt and spices. The mangos nearly dissolve and their acidity is a fine foil for the fatty lamb. If you'd like details, say the word.

please?

edited to ask: yogurt/mango marinade, i am guessing?

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

I grew up eating them in thin slices sprinkled with lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Gosh,  haven't had that in a while- you've inspired a craving  :biggrin:

Also, I've only had green papaya salad once, but I bet that green mango would sub in well for the papaya.

Oh dear god! I remember those!

I am salivating now.

I grew up eating them in thin slices sprinkled with lime juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Gosh,  haven't had that in a while- you've inspired a craving  :biggrin:

I am salivating now.

check out the "chaat" discussion on the india board.

sliced raw mangoes (with the usual salt, red pepper, etc.)

are a great chaat ingredient...

there's also "thenga manga pattani sundal"

a chennai area beach snack:

chick peas, fresh grated coconut, raw mango chunks,

spiced with mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chili, salt,

lime juice and cilantro. diced onion if you wish.

milagai

I am salivating now.

check out the "chaat" discussion on the india board.

sliced raw mangoes (with the usual salt, red pepper, etc.)

are a great chaat ingredient...

there's also "thenga manga pattani sundal"

a chennai area beach snack:

chick peas, fresh grated coconut, raw mango chunks,

spiced with mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chili, salt,

lime juice and cilantro. diced onion if you wish.

milagai

The quick mango pickle:

peel mangoes

grate mango..to the seed

heat oil+add black mustard seeds until they splutter

asafoetida+red chilli powder+salt to season

add the grated mangoes

the finer it is grated, the quicker it cooks.

I took about 5 minutes. My instructions ask me to use a little extra oil as it will keep the pickle(more like a relish, actually)longer.

I didn't realize you cook the mango for mango pickle! I'm loving this thread. I love mangos, pickles, and this type of condiment.

please?

Nope.

Aam Mutton

Adapted from The Indian Epicure by Meera Taneja (long out of print)

Peel and grate 3 large underripe mangoes. Mince a thumb-sized piece of ginger, 3 cloves garlic and 3 red chiles with 1 tablespoon of the grated mango. Mix the rest of the mango with 4 tablespoons yogurt and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee, butter or oil in a nonreactive dutch oven and fry the ginger masala for 1 minute. Add 2 green cardamons (hulled) and a 2-inch stick of cinnamon and fry while stirring for another minute. Add 1 pound cubed mutton or lamb and fry until browned on all sides, 5–10 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon tumeric and salt to taste. Add the mango-yogurt mixture and stir well to blend. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the meat is tender. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped cliantro leaves.

When I was in Thailand at the end of last year, I was introduced to this delicious snack. You could buy them on the street, peeled and sliced, and dip them into a small bag of ground chilies, salt, and sugar. Tart, salty, spicy, and just a little sweet. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water!

allison

please?

Nope.

Aam Mutton

Adapted from The Indian Epicure by Meera Taneja (long out of print)

Peel and grate 3 large underripe mangoes. Mince a thumb-sized piece of ginger, 3 cloves garlic and 3 red chiles with 1 tablespoon of the grated mango. Mix the rest of the mango with 4 tablespoons yogurt and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee, butter or oil in a nonreactive dutch oven and fry the ginger masala for 1 minute. Add 2 green cardamons (hulled) and a 2-inch stick of cinnamon and fry while stirring for another minute. Add 1 pound cubed mutton or lamb and fry until browned on all sides, 5–10 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon tumeric and salt to taste. Add the mango-yogurt mixture and stir well to blend. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the meat is tender. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped cliantro leaves.

nice. I am going to try this with a chicken first. I suppose this will go great with a fatty lamb. I am going to drop the cinnamom tho'. Not too crazy about it. Merci, carswell.

Thank you too, Milagai..for bringing back beach memories.

Akiko, give me a day or two. I'll post the pickle recipes.

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everybody. Yesterday, I bought various things at a Chinese supermarket in Flushing, New York. One of them is called "Dried Green Mango." It's very green and has lots of granulated white sugar on it. The ingredients listed on the back are mango and sugar only. It's Mei Yuan brand from Taipei, Taiwan.

Here's a picture:

gallery_786_1033_74377.jpg

What is it? Is it a variety of mango? Is it unripe? Is it green mango peel? Is there unadmitted food coloring in it? It doesn't taste like sweet ripe mango, but I like it and would consider getting it again.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Mango and sugar as ingredients only, huh? Don't buy that, Michael. There's always the hidden preservatives and coloring to these stuff. Haven't seen such dried mangoes (peel or flesh) that green before. That should be a warning signal to you. :hmmm:

What were your other buys?

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

It's frustrating if I can't trust that US product labeling laws are being complied with when products are imported to the US. Then again, I noticed some products with only Chinese writing on them, so...

My other buys were some red dates (dried jujubes) and Ting Ting Jahe ginger candy. The jujubes were ostensibly "without stone" but had some complete and partial stones, anyway. I expect that, though, and it doesn't bother me. I think that jujubes and sugar really were the only ingredients in that box.

Michael aka "Pan"

Dried green mango is a wonderful side to curd rice in India. The same is available with citron(I think..it is called 'narthangai' in tamil..i'll check). Green mango(read as raw) is sliced, salted and dried. It is lovely with smoothly mashed curd/yogurt rice and the tanginess and saltiness goes very well with the rich fatty yogurt. The perfect meal, if you ask me. But I digress. This preserved, salted mango is shrivelled and thick, but looks black and has a chewy texture. Anything preserved will not retain its original colour without artificial colouring/preservatives.