• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mapo tofu

chef koo

mapo tofu is without doubt my favorite chinese dish to eat. i've ben all over the greater vancouver area. i'm pretty sure i've visitied every szechuan restaurant. does anyone here know of a good place. i have my favorite place but i just want to make sure i haven't overlooked anything. oh and the place that gets my number one spot is

yum yums on lonsdale in north vancouver. remember this is after years of searching. i've had some pretty terribl ones too.

bork bork bork

Coincidentally I came across this thread on ma po dofu in the China and Chinese food forum. This thread really emphasizes that one cook's version of a recipe might be slightly - or significantly - different from another's. (For example if you read further down, another poster mentions the use of black bean sauce, which is new to me.)

Edited by BCinBC (log)

The only decent Sichan food I've had in this area was at Ba Guo Bu Yi. I haven't tried their mapo tofu, but based on the rest of Madame Yu's cooking, that would be the first place I'd suggest. 8130 Park Rd, Richmond, tel 604 273 8828

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.