• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St Patrick's Day in NJ

Rosie

Where are you going? And if you are staying home what are you cooking?

I did get this info:

Dorrian's Red Hand, 555 Washington Blvd, Jersey City will be starting the St. Patrick's Day celebration at 11 AM on March 17th. Live Irish music; possibly step dancers; bartenders that make shamrocks in your Guinness; a limited traditional Irish menu as well as an increased pub menu will be available. Open until 2 AM. For reservations call 201-626-6660.

Joseph’s Restaurant, 2111 Bremen Ave, Egg Harbor City, will be transformed into an Irish pub featuring corn beef and cabbage; potato crusted salmon and other Irish favorites. For information and reservations call 609-965-2111.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'm staying in.

Starting with a hunk of Grana Padano and some La Sala Chianti Classico

Homemade Lasagna, broccoli rabe sauteed with olive oil and bread crumbs, then spicy calamari. Nice espresso and sambuca to finish.

I never was one for Irish fare. :biggrin:

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I think I'll head down to the local bar - Sheridan's Lodge in Andover. The emphasis is definitely going to be on the Guiness and not the food :smile: I don't think I'll be feeling too well the next day :biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

My Irish grandmother could boil the bejeezus out of anything, but you could always taste the love.

My wife can cook like a mad woman - she makes the corned beef with an orange marmalade glaze and roasted glazed sweet potatos. Cabbage (lots of salt and pepper) and well boiled potatos (boil them, drain and then put back on the heat low to evap out the last bits of the boiling water) with lots of butter. Homemade warm buttermilk Irish soda bread (the trick is to soak the raisins in hot water first and to mix the golden and regular raisins) with a glob of melting butter and maybe a bit of jam.

Oh yeah, and some Guinness. And Harp. And Black Bush (to cut the butter and thin the blood).

I only want this once a year, but I do want it.

(Next time, I will try not to speak so parenthetically)

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

We're planning on steaming corned beef and cabbage; or we might just eat some dog food, it's a toss up.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."