• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Halibut!

Best price I've seen to date $7.97/lb @ T&T in Chinatown.

Gorgeous stuff almost translucent flesh sweet very very fresh. :wub:

Thanks to the Halibut Longliners who risk their lives up in Hecate Strait or Queen Charlotte Sound to bring us this treasure. :cool:

not a stupid question at all - I was talking to our local supplier and she was telling me (a) price and (b) that they would be starting to get it in soon (like over the next couple of weeks) so to keep an eye out - so I suppose my last post may have been a little misleading - I can't currently buy halibut for that, but I will be able to do so soon. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Reviewing your post, that may not have answered the question - yes, the halibut season is (just) open.

Edited to add - according to local sources, the season actually opened Feb. 27

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

The fishermen all have quotas.

They are allowed from early March to whenever to fill that quota and each boat (business) makes their own decisions on when to go/what to put on the market.

This is much safer for the Fishermen-who used to have only a few weeks to fill their quota and sometimes overloaded their boats in frightening weather trying to make money-and better for we consumers because we have fresh fish for 6 months of the year.

As always beware less than scrupulous retailers offering Halibut from last year-easily recognised by it's tired look and brown edges from being frozen.

Interestingly, halibut becomes less popular up here once salmon comes into season again - at which point one starts questioning the freshness - generally happens in about May - now whether that's a myth, or whether it's because all of the halibut is being shipped south where there is a better price for it, I couldn't tell you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ducky, we too saw this sign yesterday while at HD looking at their herbs. We followed the arrows, found the sign with the balloons, but the place was abandoned! I was so disappointed. If anyone knows if this is a regular thing, please post and I'll head out again during the week. Thanks!

The cheap Halibut place on Vulcan is a driver and five iron from my office. I went there last week, becuase honestly, who here isn't intrigued by the concept of buying "fresh" fish out of the back of a freezer loaded into a rusty pickup? Suprise suprise, it's a real fish market, and a very good one at that. They're right behind the Home Depot, and call themselves a "fish club", which I suspect is a dodge around zoning regs, I don't think their location is zoned retail, ergo they're a "wholesale club" a al Costco. Two large live tanks, apparently going to be filled with crab/lobster. They told me crab would be 3.99/pound! If so, my kids will be spending alot of free time picking lump crab meat for their parents.

A piece of very nice cleaned halibut was 6.99/pound. Whole fish are cleaned/fileted while you wait. If I had a freezer I'd definately buy a fish and have it filleted and throw it in for the rest of the Halibut free times.

The loaction is right at the entrance to the Night Market, I suspect that factored in the choice of location, they'll do a brisk business this summer, assuming the city doesn't close them down.

The cheap Halibut place on Vulcan is a driver and five iron from my office. I went there last week, becuase honestly, who here isn't intrigued by the concept of buying "fresh" fish out of the back of a freezer loaded into a rusty pickup? Suprise suprise, it's a real fish market, and a very good one at that.

Glad to hear that ... I was worried it might be one of those road-side places selling "fresh" lobster tails. :hmmm:

Sounds like a trip across the Knight Street Bridge is in order ... time for lunch Mr. talent?

A.

• 11 months later...
The cheap Halibut place on Vulcan is a driver and five iron from my office. I went there last week, becuase honestly, who here isn't intrigued by the concept of buying "fresh" fish out of the back of a freezer loaded into a rusty pickup? Suprise suprise, it's a real fish market, and a very good one at that. They're right behind the Home Depot, and call themselves a "fish club", which I suspect is a dodge around zoning regs, I don't think their location is zoned retail, ergo they're a "wholesale club" a al Costco. Two large live tanks, apparently going to be filled with crab/lobster. They told me crab would be 3.99/pound! If so, my kids will be spending alot of free time picking lump crab meat for their parents.

A piece of very nice cleaned halibut was 6.99/pound. Whole fish are cleaned/fileted while you wait. If I had a freezer I'd definately buy a fish and have it filleted and throw it in for the rest of the Halibut free times.     

The loaction is right at the entrance to the Night Market, I suspect that factored in the choice of location, they'll do a brisk business this summer, assuming the city doesn't close them down.

Does anyone know if this place is selling fresh halibut this year? :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Just to keep tabs on where some of the Pacific halibut goes, I purchased steaks from Sobeys, in Ontario, for $8. a pound, and they were quite good. It was a weekly special, and the fish counter expected to sell 120-150lb of 30lb fish delivered twice a week.

Sounds like I might have to make  a visit over there...I adore halibut....yum...thanks for the info

samasutra

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!