• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where (in London hopefully) I can get pistachio nut butter ?

Gethin

Try Wild Harvest in London 020 74985 397 :biggrin:

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

What about ground roasted chicory?

what do you do with that?

:smile:

how about a new bye law for this thread

if you request soemthing

tell us what you going to do with it

unless its pretty obvious.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

what do you do with that?

:smile:

how about a new bye law for this thread

if you request soemthing 

tell us what you going to do with it

unless its pretty obvious.

I read in a US magazine that it has a coffee like quality. Just curious to try it in a glaze for lamb.

Edited by UkFoodie (log)

Erica - they may have Pistachio butter at Planet Organic by the side of Habitat/Heals on Tottenham Court Road - or you coud make your own using your processor, some good quality oil and a bag of shelled pistachios - I always used to make my own crunchy peanut butter and it's dead easy - it will be at least a bit crunchy I warn you.

As a matter of interest what are your plans for it?

Personally, I wouldn't, you need to ask gethin- although I would like to know too!!

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Personally, I wouldn't, you need to ask gethin- although I would like to know too!!

Thank you Erica and PoppySeed Bagel for your suggestions, I'll check them out tomorrow.

A Turkish Cypriot friend was telling me that his father remembered houmous made with pistachio nut butter from his childhood. I assume that this must have been instead of tahini (although my friend insists it was instead of olive oil, I'can't see that that would work).

He also mentioned a restaurant in mainland Turkey that was famous for its baked houmous, made with pistachio butter and scattered with chopped pistachios.

I want a couple of jars so he can take one home to his father for him to experiment and a jar for me to experiment with myself.

They have various coffee substitutes (such as roasted dandelion root) at Alora on Marchmont St, they might possibly have roasted chicory . I'll look tomorrow when i check out planic organic for the pistachio butter.

gethin

Anyone know where I get hold off the rare thngs that are Gulls Eggs? Believe that they are to be around at this time of year. Never had one, would like to try them although are they £6 each!?

Cheers

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Anyone know where I get hold off the rare thngs that are Gulls Eggs? Believe that they are to be around at this time of year. Never had one, would like to try them although are they £6 each!?

Cheers

Paul

In west London you can get them at Lidgates the butcher on Holland Park Avenue or the Fish shop next to Kensington Place restaurant on Kensington Church street. About £3.50 each.

Also at Horrids.

I am not a big fan myself.

Where is a good veal butcher in London?

I want things like breast of veal, various bits of offal , and someone that can cut escalopes properly.

Alex,

Harvey Nicks have taken several (moderately) obscure requests in good humour, and delivered on time, even if they don't always know what you're talking about. Certainly they will have sweetbreads (lamb and veal), also caul, and recently were seen to have pyrenéen lamb.

Farmer sharpe at Borough is part of a collective - which with the example of veal, means he shares animals with different farms - and has taken odd requests at advance notice. For instance, he just furnished me with 5 or 6 veal tails.

Don't know much about (his-tor-eee) properly cut escalopes.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 3 months later...

Am trying to get hold of Lecithin, I know MSK do it but I am a little bit loathed to pay their kind of prices. Also I am looking to use around 2kg per month (ish) so could do with more of a wholesale kind of place.

I need to get the powdered stuff, I am using the granular at the moment and it's ok but not as convenient as I'd like.

Cheers

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

Am trying to get hold of Lecithin, I know MSK do it but I am a little bit loathed to pay their kind of prices. Also I am looking to use around 2kg per month (ish) so could do with more of a wholesale kind of place.

I need to get the powdered stuff, I am using the granular at the moment and it's ok but not as convenient as I'd like.

Cheers

Alex.

Holland and Barrat is where I got mine! Quite a large tub (500g?), not wholeslae I know but it's not badly priced. 2kg is a whole lot of Lecithin!!!!!

Edit: whoops just realised - H&B stuff is Granules, not sure if they do powder as well, I would be interested to know if you find the powder in convenient sizes.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Nimzo nas given me a route to try, will let you know how I get on. am currently playing with the granular stuff (got cheap on eBay) and whilst it works fine it doesn't dissolve that fantastically in cold liquid, and am loathed to heat up some of the juices I want to foam because I am after a pure flavour of foam.

also need larger quantities basically for price but we are currently doing some 8000 covers a month (on average, brekkie, lunch and dinner), so with a couple of foams on the menu spread over restaurant and private dining we will surely go through it quite a bit.

cheers.

Cheers

Alex.

Holland and Barrat is where I got mine! Quite a large tub (500g?), not wholeslae I know but it's not badly priced. 2kg is a whole lot of Lecithin!!!!!

Edit: whoops just realised - H&B stuff is Granules, not sure if they do powder as well, I would be interested to know if you find the powder in convenient sizes.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

www.e-senses.co.uk

Nimzo nas given me a route to try, will let you know how I get on. am currently playing with the granular stuff (got cheap on eBay) and whilst it works fine it doesn't dissolve that fantastically in cold liquid, and am loathed to heat up some of the juices I want to foam because I am after a pure flavour of foam.

also need larger quantities basically for price but we are currently doing some 8000 covers a month (on average, brekkie, lunch and dinner), so with a couple of foams on the menu spread over restaurant and private dining we will surely go through it quite a bit.

cheers.

Cheers

Alex.

How much are you addingto theliquid Alex? I'm only making for home use but I'm only using a teasoon or half a teaspoon at a time (maybe 1 litre of liquid?) Agree it doesn't dissolve properly in cold liquids, not sure whether the powder does or not. Have you tried grinding the granules?

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

We get ours from... you guessed it... MSK!!! Please tell me its not to make apple caviar as the whole world is already there doing it! (However if it is MSK will give you the recipe.)

Well the whole world has not made cassis pearls yet. I like the way that they rise and fall in the sparkling wine etc. Also I have this idea of combinging custard, cream and fruit jelly pearls, serving it on a spoon and calling it a "Triffle"...:wink:

But actually I would like to experiment with a few different coagulants for producing curds (moo-juice and soy). To date I have been using epson salts (Magnesium Sulfate), but would like to use different salts to get flavour and textures correct.

edit: What is MSK?

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

They are a Sheffield based supplier of all things chemical for food production, flavoured purees, space dust etc etc If you look back over this topic you'll see them mentioned all over the place. Telephone number is 01246 416486. They are nice guys, more than happy to send sample of new stuff on the market. Whenever a package from them appears, I never know what they are going to be making in the kitchen!

How much are you addingto theliquid Alex? I'm only making for home use but I'm only using a teasoon or half a teaspoon at a time (maybe 1 litre of liquid?) Agree it doesn't dissolve properly in cold liquids, not sure whether the powder does or not. Have you tried grinding the granules?

I am using the same or more if the liquid in question has a low pH. however my main reason again is the price, the more I buy the cheaper per portion it then becomes and I can easily vac and store some also I will have some fresh for each service 7 days a week, and with my dinner service being 5 & 1/4 hours long quite often find I have to refresh a pot (1/4 to 1/2 litre each time) once during evening service. also if you overdose citrus fruit juice foams then there is a pleasant milkyness to the flavour and this again is used elsewhere. as for dissolution I am settling for initial blending then passing the millet-esque bits out pre-service.

www.e-senses.co.uk

Well the whole world has not made cassis pearls yet. I like the way that they rise and fall in the sparkling wine etc. Also I have this idea of combinging custard, cream and fruit jelly pearls, serving it on a spoon and calling it a "Triffle"...:wink:

But actually I would like to experiment with a few different coagulants for producing curds (moo-juice and soy). To date I have been using epson salts (Magnesium Sulfate), but would like to use different salts to get flavour and textures correct.

edit: What is MSK?

talking of curds, Sam mason of WD50 has worked a method of making an eggless lemon curd with Gellan Gum. Not quite sure how, but possibly without heating as it thickens when cold same as guar gum, and is barely thermally reversible when boiled. (I have managed to pan fry the stuff)

bit of a nightmare to get hold of as I think only one company make it (cpKelco), and you have to buy 250kg at a time. I'm sure they would probably let you have samples though. and a .5% solution usually sets well

www.e-senses.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a sealer that bags food in a vacuum - its for cooking rather than just storage. model recs appreciated

Also - does anyone know where to get pure ethanol (its for taking the skin off oil paintings)