• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

I think this this would be a useful thread.

A where do i buy X thread.

could merge a lot of threads into this one well a lot of my threads anyway.

like where do i buy a 1kg white truffle ?? :raz:

bIt seriously anyone know where i can buy small quatities of dry ice?

i know I can get it from http://ind.yara.co.uk/en/contact/index.html

but I only need a few pellets for a dinner party.

any help would be most appreciated.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I need to know where to get... um, I don't know what it's called, but I believe it exists. It would be, basically, a large tea ball, to hold about 1 to 1 1/2 cups. I have some ingredients I need to segregate in a soup; the rest of the soup will be pureed in a blender, but I want to save a few pieces of the main vegetable for texture in the soup. I know I can use cheesecloth, but I'd rather have something in stainless steel, if I can.

I live in the U.S., so an American supplier would be the most convenient.

Edited by jgm (log)

I need to know where to get... um, I don't know what it's called, but I believe it exists.  It would be, basically, a large tea ball, to hold about 1 to 1 1/2 cups.  I have some ingredients I need to segregate in a soup; the rest of the soup will be pureed in a blender, but I want to save a few pieces of the main vegetable for texture in the soup.  I know I can use cheesecloth, but I'd rather have something in stainless steel, if I can.

The large mesh infuser on this page comes close; if not quite big enough, you could always use two: Tea Infusers

Edited by emsny (log)

I need to know where to get... um, I don't know what it's called, but I believe it exists.  It would be, basically, a large tea ball, to hold about 1 to 1 1/2 cups.  I have some ingredients I need to segregate in a soup; the rest of the soup will be pureed in a blender, but I want to save a few pieces of the main vegetable for texture in the soup.  I know I can use cheesecloth, but I'd rather have something in stainless steel, if I can.

You might want to try posting this in the "general" forum. As this is the UK forum you are most likely to get responses about goods based in the UK.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Try this herb and spice infuser from Lee Valley:

Herb and Spice Infuser

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

:raz: just answered my own question

Yara do 10kg bag of dry ice pellets for £13.95 +vat

hmmm i only need a few pellets any one want some dry ice?

in the middle of next month?

You might have better luck with a larger strainer like this miso strainer.

I have seen larger ones also.

I have isolated things in my deep strainer by clamping it to the side of the pot with a spring clamp, (looks like a large closepin, just made out of metal, found in any hardware store.)

similar to these.

I have several sizes as they really come in handy in the kitchen. Mine are not as fancy as these as they are older and simpler but you get the ideat........

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

:raz: just answered my own question

Yara do 10kg bag of dry ice pellets for £13.95 +vat

hmmm i only need a few pellets any one want some dry ice?

in the middle of next month?

I'm curious - what will you be using it for?

It for a cooking competition.

I got a dishes of peeled pomelo wedges with lemon mint and candy floss.

Touaregsand named that dish "Fresh pomelo with a Candied Cloud"

so i thought it be quite fun to have a few dry ice pellets in a bowl in the middle spewing out white vapour.

Also planning to make fizzy strawberries/ fruit :wub:

New request:

I'm off to a country with few butchery skills and wanted to take out something so that I could chop up some animals myself.

I've been to Pages and had a look at their super-cleavers and bone saws, which were understandably expensive.

I've looked on nisbets etc. (usual suspects) but can't find much there.

Anyone any ideas for sub-£100 butchery equipment big enough to work its way through small goats and pigs and pygmy cattle?

Thanks...

meat cleaver or machete and a medium hacksaw better try B&Q.

think that little lot will allow you to go through a cow.

where you going? and what are you going to be cooking?

also if you going overseas will they allow you to take it in your check in luggage?

should be no problems taking anything (as long as its legal in both countries) in your checked in baggage, i recently brought back some very nasty looking knives from the states with no problem, despite the bags being xrayed several times at LAX

I'm off to Malawi, which has excellent potential for self-sufficiency.

The local butcher will sell us a cow for about £25. If we let him cut it up, he uses and axe and - though he is surpisingly dextrous with it - the joints which result are rather unconventional.

Another problem is aging the meat, as there is little room to hang and it's very sweaty and hot. The only way to get around this is to mince and freeze a large proportion of the animal/ brine and cure some of the rest and set up a ridiculous Heath Robinson/ Jeffrey Steingarten auto-aging pen in the fridge, which involves balancing a couple of handheld fans on the shelf to ensure correct circulation of air. I wil only be doing this with one joint at a time - I wonder if I can freeze the beef and age it later? I doubt it.

I suppose I cuold wet-age some of the rest of the beef, just by vacu-packing it but I'm not sure how successful that would be and whether I have enough room in my luggage for a vacu-packing machine.

The things which are available at the market are: bananas, white beans, black beans, peas, onions, tomatoes, orach, spinach, aubergines, dried fish, salted fish, fresh fish, eggs, chickens, flour, scary black meat (don't ask), maize flour, cassava (ugh!), potatoes, mangos, chillis, prickly pears and some other things which I can't remember.

In the garden I will have: chard, tomatoes, lettuce, mint, basil, parsley, coriander, chervil, courgettes, chillis, aubergines and some other things planted in advance by my other half. (Though a rampant chicken has eaten quite a lot of the seedlings.)

Other things I can buy include: limed birds (still alive, stuck on a twig: apparently they don't taste the same if not plucked while tweeting); huge catfish (capable of hauling themselves about half a kilometre across land, they claim); goats; pigs (riddled with tapeworm); anything which has just been killed (various antelope). There will hopefully be other delights I'm not yet familiar with.

My favourite thing is a fish called mpasa, which they call 'Lake Salmon', but when I looked it up, it didn't seem to be a salmo at all. Never mind, it tastes delicious. It has greyish-pinky-white flesh (I don't think there are higher-order crustacea in Lake Malawi, but I am probably wrong/ not very good at googling for the relevant facts) and tastes so sweet it reminds me of peas.

you moving out there permenantly?

sounds interesting but also sounds like hard work :wink::biggrin:

will you have access to internet ?

as would be interesting to see what you cook while you are out there

you moving out there permenantly?

sounds interesting but also sounds like hard work  :wink::biggrin:

will you have access to internet ?

as would be interesting to see what you cook while you are out there

only there for 10 weeks or so, but that makes c.210 meals (plus more if I manage to find space for a new meal between elevenses and lunch).

There may be internet, but intermittently at best. If it is working I'll try to post a few reports.

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy your tools out there?

cheaper yes, but less likely to work.

If there was a good supply of excellent value butchery implements I imagine the butcher would use something more suitable than an axe...

I think I'll improvise with a B&Q hacksaw and a mighty cleaver. Thanks for suggestions.

hmm good advice take a replacement blade for the hack saw just in case.

you will need a sharpening steel/stone for the meat cleaver too.

Pop into a chinese super market the meat cleaver there should be cheaper

and indestrutible .

but if you only there 10 weeks how many cows, goats and pigs can you eat? :wink:

Where is there a good asian supermarket in London (preferably in zone 1 or 2) ?

Specifically looking for a place with lots of SE Asian items.

there are lots of Asian grocers in Soho, of course, on Brewer St.

But there's a clump of Malaysian shops on either Hogarth or Kenway Road opposite Earls Court tube as well.

chinatown main port of call for chinese produce.

then maybe brewer street for japanese stuff.

Think there are a few small vietnamese shops down hackneyand dalston but they mostly stock teh same stuff as the ones in chinatown.

For Indian produce brick lane will have a few place.

Maybe even Edgware road.

really depends what you want to buy?

There are a few Japanese shops on Piccadilly near Piccadilly Circus. One masquerades as a restaurant (and it used to be a Japanese travel agency apparently) but go through it and downstairs where there's a supermarket and sushi bar.

Where is there a good asian supermarket in London (preferably in zone 1 or 2) ?

Specifically looking for a place with lots of SE Asian items.

I would have thought London's Chinatown would be the place to go (nearest tubes: Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square). The foodstuffs and fresh produce on sale are predominantly Chinese but you can buy Japanese, Korean, Thai and other SE Asians products there.

Foodie Penguin