• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

Vin Sullivan Foods Ltd Tel 01495792792 have a range of ingredients in 100gm tubs listed in their latest catalogue including calcium chloride & sodium alginate. I know they deliver throughout the UK.

Its only food...!

i think msk do all that sort of thing.

on a seperate subject, i hate bloody farmer's markets, they are expensive, the gear is never the very best and worst of all when i am there i am completely taken in by it and end up spending a fortune alongside the other middle class chinless wonders!

adey are they cherry tomatoes on the rossini, is there any truffle on there?

Matt Christmas.

You fully plundered the sous vide thread in cooking?

Keep an eye out for all the posts from NathanM, everyone else is in his wake.

Edited by adey73 (log)

You might be able to persuade your local pharmacist to get hold of some of these items, they usually have a source for some chemicals.

If I am your princess, then where is my crown?

does anyone have a good source in the UK for hydrocolloids (alginate, xanthan, etc) apart from the texturas line? I think they work well, but they are overpriced. anyone with any other sources?

many thanks

Wild Harvest in Lonodon do the Sosa line. MSK can be very expensive.

www.wildharvestuk.com

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Wild harvest and infusions4chefs are cheaper than MSK.

And univare stock all National Starch lines if you follow American chefs.

(shit I've just turned 35)

Edited by adey73 (log)

I have got the sperification kit from infusions4chefs, pretty good price actually. I want malto, I think I will write that friendly email, unless I can find it somewhere cheap.

I cannot also trace guar gum, as I need it to make dondurma (turkish cheewy ice cream)

I am in the process of making Greek salad and want to create these:

1) Olive oil powder (with malto)

2) Tomato terrin

3)Onion glass

4)Feta cheese gniocci

5)Olives in a parsley sphere

I have got the sperification kit from infusions4chefs, pretty good price actually. I want malto, I think I will write that friendly email, unless I can find it somewhere cheap.

I cannot also trace guar gum, as I need it to make dondurma (turkish cheewy ice cream)

I am in the process of making Greek salad and want to create these:

1) Olive oil powder (with malto)

2) Tomato terrin

3)Onion glass

4)Feta cheese gniocci

5)Olives in a parsley sphere

Vin Sullivan look like good prices..they have sourced me anything I wanted to "play" with...without having to purchase large amounts.

Its only food...!

• 2 weeks later...

For the States I've found http://willpowder.net/index.html , thank you Egullet.

Does anyone have suggestions for finding recipes using these powders for first timers. I would love to host a dinner consisting of some fun new concepts that many of my friends have not been exposed to but the ideas on that site are to much for me doing a multi course dinner using brand new techniques.

• 3 months later...
Can anyone help me source authentic merguez? I recently had some in France and had forgotten how most of the stuff sold here is a pale imitation of the real thing. I've tried them from Ginger Pig, Simply Sausages and Lidgates, and somewhat disappointed in all of them. The nearest I have found so far is from Biggles in Marylebone Lane, but the texture and size aren't quite right. Anyone know a Moroccan butcher or merguez importer?

hmmmm...i seem to remember there being a deli on Church St that sells them (not too far away from Alfie's Antique emporium - same side of the road but further west). There's one somewhere along the row of food shops that has a butchers counter in the front. I'm pretty sure they sell merguez. Haven't ever bought any myself though, so I can't vouch for their quality - but they looked good! let us know how you get on if you try them.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try - will be good to have an excuse to have a potter around Alfie's.

These guys make them... and a whole host of other sausages http://www.gornos.co.uk/index.htm

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone help me source authentic merguez? I recently had some in France and had forgotten how most of the stuff sold here is a pale imitation of the real thing. I've tried them from Ginger Pig, Simply Sausages and Lidgates, and somewhat disappointed in all of them. The nearest I have found so far is from Biggles in Marylebone Lane, but the texture and size aren't quite right. Anyone know a Moroccan butcher or merguez importer?

hmmmm...i seem to remember there being a deli on Church St that sells them (not too far away from Alfie's Antique emporium - same side of the road but further west). There's one somewhere along the row of food shops that has a butchers counter in the front. I'm pretty sure they sell merguez. Haven't ever bought any myself though, so I can't vouch for their quality - but they looked good! let us know how you get on if you try them.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try - will be good to have an excuse to have a potter around Alfie's.

These guys make them... and a whole host of other sausages http://www.gornos.co.uk/index.htm

For real authenticity try the butchers counter at either Le Maroc or Le Marrakech , both on Golborne Road in W10. There is also another halal North African butcher on the same street (which i think is just called Golborne Butchers).

Gethin

• 6 months later...

I'm looking for a store that has a good selection of hot sauces. I'm looking for the following sauces and hope to find a shop that hopefully has them all.

Cholula

Marie Sharps

El Yucateco

Blairs

Huy Fong Foods Tuong Ot Sriracha

Cheers!

• 10 months later...

Do any of the supermarkets still sell verjuice? I certainly remember it being all over the place when Maggie Beer started promoting it, but now that I have a number of recipes which require it, I never seem to see it. I have tried my local middle eastern shops for sour grape juice, but the bottles look a bit crusty. Perhaps their low turnover is another sign of the low demand?

Catherine