• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

http://www.giacobazzis.co.uk/driedpasta.htm - these guys have a good range of theirs, otherwise you could contact the De Ceco UK company and ask where they supply that pasta to, their details are:

DeCecco UK Limited

Address

1 Kimbell Mews Humphrey Lane

Boughton

Northampton

NN2 8XB

Contact Name Stephen Barlow

Phone 01604 820022 Fax 01604 820033

E-mail sales@dececco.org.uk

Web www.dececco.it

Best,

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Can anyone please recommend a Vietnamese grocery. I am told there are some in Hackney but I don't know the location?

I have been to chinatown and the chinese groceries there do not stock the Vietnamese ingredients I am after.

In particular, does anyone know where I can get BETEL Leaves? the recipe I want to make is beef wrapped in betel leaves.

Thanks

Truc

Edited by Trucie (log)

Can anyone please recommend a Vietnamese grocery. I am told there are some in Hackney but I don't know the location?

I have been to chinatown and the chinese groceries there do not stock the Vietnamese ingredients I am after.

In particular, does anyone know where I can get BETEL Leaves? the recipe I want to make is beef wrapped in betel leaves.

Thanks

Truc

There's a Vietnamese grocery on the Kingsland Road. Just past Cremer Street and before the Geffrye Museum if you're heading north.

Google maps link here

It's smaller than anything in Chinatown but they're very friendly. I wouldn't know if they stock betel leaves though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Anybody know where you can buy a Jaccard Meat Tenderizer in the UK? Scotts of Stow has generic one but that only has 16 blades I'd prefer a 48 blade model.

Hi Joesan

i just bought one of those, not many places seem to stock it in the uk.

Scott of stow charging £17 for the 16 blade one.

I bought mine off ebay from a US seller "tenderizemeat"

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZtenderizemeat

he's the cheapest on ebay.

I bought the 45 blade jaccard and including uk delivery costed US$37 not bad for £18.50 :smile:

only thing is that it takes 14 days to arrive.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Thanks Origamecrane. Actually I did end buying the ebay one. Adey73 pinged me to let me know about it.

I imagine a 45 blade one is miles more effecient than the 16 blade ones we can get here.

Do you think the Jaccards work well?

PS I don't know if the admins are aware of this - but when someone changed the title of the thread (to make it clearer I guess) it breaks the tracking of the topic. That's how I was late replying to Origamicrane.

Edited by joesan (log)

Thanks Origamecrane. Actually I did end buying the ebay one. Adey73 pinged me to let me know about it.

I imagine a 45 blade one is miles more effecient than the 16 blade ones we can get here.

Do you think the Jaccards work well?

PS I don't know if the admins are aware of this - but when someone changed the title of the thread (to make it clearer I guess) it breaks the tracking of the topic. That's how I was late replying to Origamicrane.

I only used it once so far, so can't really comment on how effective it is yet.

But i will try it on a half a steak next week and do a comparison test.

What i can say is that its a lot bigger then I expected and seems to be quite well designed and constructed.

I actually bought it to be used on pork skin to make the puncture/score marks for pork crackling will try that too next weekend.

Sounds like we have similar things in mind. I really want to try mine for Sous vide use as well.

yep same thing in mind.

I did sous vide hainese chicken last week 65C for 3 hours.

Deboned a chicken, jaccarded it and vaccum packed it with a slice of ginger, a crushed garlic clove and some chopped spring onions and a little bit of chicken stock.

Turned out really nice but i will have to use better qaulity chicken next time as i was using standard supermarket chicken so texture was not as super smooth as i wanted.

Will try the jaccard on a sous vide steak on sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone have a good source in the UK for hydrocolloids (alginate, xanthan, etc) apart from the texturas line? I think they work well, but they are overpriced. anyone with any other sources?

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...
get your Xanthum from Tesco Gluten free area, your agar from the 'grow your own jumper' vegetarian healthfood shops. get your free sample of maltodextrin from http://www.foodinnovation.com/NSFI-Home/Homepage.htm and your sample of methycelluose from here http://www.rwunwin.co.uk/start.htm stating food grade.

that was great! thank you! now if you can find me sources for algin and calcic I am cooking for you!

get your Xanthum from Tesco Gluten free area, your agar from the 'grow your own jumper' vegetarian healthfood shops. get your free sample of maltodextrin from http://www.foodinnovation.com/NSFI-Home/Homepage.htm and your sample of methycelluose from here http://www.rwunwin.co.uk/start.htm stating food grade.

mmm sounds delicious, but think i'll stick to the farm shop & butchers for my ingredients :wink:

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

you don't win friends with salad

Redrum, If you're looking to do spheres or spaghetti the cold oil way is, I think, superior.

375g of base, 3.7g of Agar boiled into the base and then drip the slightly cooled mixture into oil that has been in the freezer over night (it will still be liquid). sieve then wash in cold water. But it isn't thermodynamic.

I went to the farmers shop, bought some beouf and made this steak Rossini last night, but thickened the sauce with a miniscule amount of xanthum. worked well.

2410241518_04bf5ccf14.jpg

adey:

which product on the first website is the maltodextrin, must admit im getting a tad confused by all the chemical product names. Also, is the 2nd website just a matter of contacting them by email? Couldnt find a sample request page on that one.