• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

Has anyone seen any Israeli couscous lately? Following this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=46944

I've tried Sainsbury's in Islington and Waitrose in Gloucester Rd, but with no luck...

Bit late but the kosher shops in Golders Green have it.

Now, my query - back to meat! I'm another veal lover who despairs of not being able to buy anything but escalopes and stew meat. Any good butchers anywhere near Finchley who will do things like rolled shoulder, breast, rib chops? (Oh how I miss chops...) And more cuts of beef: kosher bola does nicely for chuck pot roast as long as you put it up at lunch time to eat at dinner, but I miss short ribs, flanken, and the cheap but tasty steaks: flank, skirt, hanger. I once asked a butcher about them and he said they mainly get sent for processing :(

Now, my query - back to meat! I'm another veal lover who despairs of not being able to buy anything but escalopes and stew meat. Any good butchers anywhere near Finchley who will do things like rolled shoulder, breast, rib chops? (Oh how I miss chops...)

I don't know about the Finchley area but in Central London, the Ginger Pig sell veal and will cut to order. I haven't purchased it from them in ages but I recently had a beautiful thick veal sirloin (bone-in) at Hawksmoor and Ginger Pig supply them with their meat.

Now, my query - back to meat! I'm another veal lover who despairs of not being able to buy anything but escalopes and stew meat. Any good butchers anywhere near Finchley who will do things like rolled shoulder, breast, rib chops? (Oh how I miss chops...)

I don't know about the Finchley area but in Central London, the Ginger Pig sell veal and will cut to order. I haven't purchased it from them in ages but I recently had a beautiful thick veal sirloin (bone-in) at Hawksmoor and Ginger Pig supply them with their meat.

Or if you want to order online try Helen Browning Organic meat. They do have rolled shoulder and loin amongst other things

The other trouble with veal in this country is that "rose veal" is now in fashion (milk fed is equated with cage raised). It's not bad for some things, but I do miss milk fed. I'll see how dark Ginger Pig's look, but if anyone knows anywhere not in central London I'd be happy to hear it as I'm currently 8mos pregnant!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Terrine Jars

I'm looking for a supply of terrine jars - not the super expensive French ones that look pretty (Parfait?), but rather the sloped sided ones that pate's and terrines come in.

I've searched the web, but not found what I'm after. All of the jars I've seen have lumps and bumps inside that make it more difficult to remove the contents, and are more suitable for jams. I'm looking for smooth sided ones in the 180 - 220g range, - like these.

Can anybody help?

Edited by fatmat (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Terrine Jars

I'm looking for a supply of terrine jars - not the super expensive French ones that look pretty (Parfait?), but rather the sloped sided ones that pate's and terrines come in.

I've searched the web, but not found what I'm after. All of the jars I've seen have lumps and bumps inside that make it more difficult to remove the contents, and are more suitable for jams.  I'm looking for smooth sided ones in the 180 - 220g range, - like these.

Can anybody help?

With a clip top, like This?

I am looking for good lard for pastry/bread baking. I bought some at Waitrose and it was really nasty.

At Borough market, at Stillfield farm, they told me they do carry it once in a while.

Anybody knows another good source in London?

Does anyone know where I might find friand tins? I want the traditional oval shape and would be happy with individual tins or a tray of 6 or 12. Thanks.

I meant to bring some back with me from my recent trip home, but was too laden with heavy luggage :wacko:

However, I see that Lakeland have now started carrying them (or I didn't realise they always did) and you can find them there if you haven't already. The picture of the tin doesn't inspire me with confidence, but the picture of the friand does look right, and I buy from them quite often so I do trust they know what they're talking about!

Bit of an odd one this, but:

Where do I get a copy of The Oxford Companion To Wine? Any of the internet stores I've tried (Amazon, Play, Waterstones, etc) all say '4-6 weeks' and have done for about 8 weeks now. Is there a new edition about to come out and they've discontinued the current edition?

I've been to several large bookstores in London too, all to no avail.

Can anyone help me source authentic merguez? I recently had some in France and had forgotten how most of the stuff sold here is a pale imitation of the real thing. I've tried them from Ginger Pig, Simply Sausages and Lidgates, and somewhat disappointed in all of them. The nearest I have found so far is from Biggles in Marylebone Lane, but the texture and size aren't quite right. Anyone know a Moroccan butcher or merguez importer?

Anyone know a good butchers in Nottingham? I can't seem to find anywhere nearby (i live in the city centre) and i don't have a car! I'm pretty fussy over my meat so i'm not too keen on ordering online, unless anyone can recommend me anywhere really good, which doesn't involve ordering a whole cow?

Can anyone help me source authentic merguez? I recently had some in France and had forgotten how most of the stuff sold here is a pale imitation of the real thing. I've tried them from Ginger Pig, Simply Sausages and Lidgates, and somewhat disappointed in all of them. The nearest I have found so far is from Biggles in Marylebone Lane, but the texture and size aren't quite right. Anyone know a Moroccan butcher or merguez importer?

hmmmm...i seem to remember there being a deli on Church St that sells them (not too far away from Alfie's Antique emporium - same side of the road but further west). There's one somewhere along the row of food shops that has a butchers counter in the front. I'm pretty sure they sell merguez. Haven't ever bought any myself though, so I can't vouch for their quality - but they looked good! let us know how you get on if you try them.

hmmmm...i seem to remember there being a deli on Church St that sells them (not too far away from Alfie's Antique emporium - same side of the road but further west). There's one somewhere along the row of food shops that has a butchers counter in the front. I'm pretty sure they sell merguez. Haven't ever bought any myself though, so I can't vouch for their quality - but they looked good! let us know how you get on if you try them.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try - will be good to have an excuse to have a potter around Alfie's.

• 2 weeks later...
My American grandmother's recipe for lebkuchen calls for carbonate of ammonia as a raising agent.  Where in London might I find this?  I'm currently stumped.

The fact that it is your grandmothers book is the clue here....ammonia carbonate was a precursor to baking powder, I'd doubt you could still get it but I could be wrong? I think you can substitute with baking powder but don't blame me if it goes wrong!

My American grandmother's recipe for lebkuchen calls for carbonate of ammonia as a raising agent.  Where in London might I find this?  I'm currently stumped.

I do normally use it for baking cookies, for now I still have some left, that I brought from Italy (but even in sealed packets it evaporates, in the last I opened it was almost gone).

Since I have moved to London I have not spent time looking for it. I do not recall if I saw it at Gennaro, a deli in Lewisham (try to call and ask for "ammoniaca per dolci" or baking ammonia), or, a good bet would be trying other etnic groceries: greeks or germans. For ex. there is a small greek grocery around Baywater (on Moscow road) you could call. I assumed you live in London...sorry.

Or if you have a good pharmacy there is no reason for them not to order for you. In Italy it is common. Chance is that the will sell you a huge quantity.

The cookies with baking ammonia are very different than baking powder, much more tender. Only advice keep the oven door slightly ajar to let the ammonia evaporate, the smell during cooking is not pleasant but if cooked properly there should not be any residual smell or taste.

If you don't find any, let me know I'll try to open one of my packages and see if there is still some which is not empty, in case, if it's just for the sake of trying, I can send it to you.

Edited by Franci (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know a Moroccan butcher or merguez importer?

There is a good Morroccan butcher on Goldbourne Rd , on the left hand side as you walk towards the Trellick Tower.

Gethin

Sorry for the delayed thanks for this tip - I didn't spot your reply before now... I will try and get there this weekend.