• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

Marlena Mountain Food Co number - phone Yun on 01994 419555 or 07774 949555

I spoke with turnips this morning, and they might have it when I get back, i'll check again with them then. i'll also ring mountain food co and talk with Yun.

I've learned a lot about purslane, wish I had more than the 500-700 words allowed for my article, and more than the recipes they're running.

have i said that i love purslane? can hardly wait to cook my way through it, well if you can call making salads cooking, as i'll be doing that too. really looking forward to it, and feel gratitude for your help.

x marlen

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

http://www.wildharvestuk.com/

Your best bet- they are in New Covent Garden

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Aaahhhh Purslane. Why you no say so before?

You can point at Moscow Road off Queensway or Abu Srour off Kingston Vale or wait when I come back and send you some sealed with a Rose. :wub:

The salads are Lebanese and Fattoush is first followed by Zaatar (Thyme) and the simple one is Tomatoes+Green Onions+Purslane+S/P and EVOO.

No lemon juice or vinegar allowed.

But I suppose you know that.

does anyone know where i can get an isi cream whipper? i've only found one place online, but was looking to buy it offline - all the catering supply stores i've looked at (hansen's, dentons, nisbets) only show the kesing whipper on their online shop.

anyone know if here in the UK it is preferable to go with Kising? essentially is it the same as an isi?

thanks.

-che

does anyone know where i can get an isi cream whipper? i've only found one place online, but was looking to buy it offline - all the catering supply stores i've looked at (hansen's, dentons, nisbets) only show the kesing whipper on their online shop.

anyone know if here in the UK it is preferable to go with Kising? essentially is it the same as an isi?

thanks.

-che

If you can make it to Yorkshire there's always Pennine Tea And Coffee.

I've only tried ISI models - if you intend using it for hot and cold foams I'd recommend getting either their Gourment or Thermo Whip model. The basic ISI cream whipper is more prone to valve blockage (and comes with a big 'not suitable for espumas' warning in the instruction booklet).

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

thanks.

-che

If you can make it to Yorkshire there's always Pennine Tea And Coffee.

I've only tried ISI models - if you intend using it for hot and cold foams I'd recommend getting either their Gourment or Thermo Whip model. The basic ISI cream whipper is more prone to valve blockage (and comes with a big 'not suitable for espumas' warning in the instruction booklet).

brilliant - ordered from pennine the thermo one...will be with me tomorrow.

already have some recipes on my mind i want to try with...some week-end fun!

-che

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Most wise and beloved of eGullet: Is there anywhere in London that stocks verjus?

(It seems I can't look at a book at the moment without seeing a reference to it! I'm sure you know how that goes...)

A little late in the day, I know, but Fortnums and Masons stock a small selection of verjus. I had no luck in many many other London shops.

Most wise and beloved of eGullet: Is there anywhere in London that stocks verjus?

(It seems I can't look at a book at the moment without seeing a reference to it! I'm sure you know how that goes...)

A little late in the day, I know, but Fortnums and Masons stock a small selection of verjus. I had no luck in many many other London shops.

They used to stock Maggie Beer's verjus at Sainsburys in Ladbroke Grove - probably still do.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know where I can purchase almond flour in London? I want to try my hand at making macarons but do not own a blender or food processor to make it myself. I know that the supermarkets carry ground almonds but I think those are still too coarse.

Asian food stores - Try Southall if you can't find any others

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know where I can purchase almond flour in London? I want to try my hand at making macarons but do not own a blender or food processor to make it myself. I know that the supermarkets carry ground almonds but I think those are still too coarse.

Asian food stores - Try Southall if you can't find any others

oh wow, never thought of looking there! Thanks, fatmat!

• 2 weeks later...

If this is a help at all, I use ground almonds for macaroons, but pass it through a sieve and use the bits left behind for something else, eg. a frangipane tart.

...Bhutanese red rice?????

Ohmygod this stuff is good; a meaty, tasty, substantial rice that's healthy and would taste so amazing with roast pork belly. One bowl and I'm addicted. I have no idea where I can buy many many packages of it with which to stock my cupboard. Any ideas? I'm thinking Colindale but I won't have a chance to get out there for at least another month. Any on-line suppliers?

If you haven't tasted this stuff, you're missing out.

A heat diffuser?

My landlord has installed the world's worst gas hob, whose temperature range starts somewhere around the temperature needed to get nuclear fusion going.

Does anyone know where I can get one of those heat diffusing tiles that goes between the pan and the flame to chill things out a bit? My only solution is to move it to the smallest hob which makes for hot centre of the pan and cold outside.

I have tried Divertimenti and Nisbets without much luck.

I guess I need an asbestos tile (or something equally carcinogenic) but have no idea where one would find such a thing.