• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

Anyone ever come across this place before?

http://www.sausagemaking.org/ They have supplies for all sorts of charcuterie naughtiness.

I've seen it and it really makes me want to cure things, although I could do a with copy of the Ruhlman book 'Charcuterie'. This site also looks pretty good and I would quite like a sausage machine but I don't have room for anymore kitchen kit :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of terrines, I'd like to find an oldish terrine en croute mould with ridged sides, either oval or rectangular. Any thoughts?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

That's odd, before I read your post I just called TFC Express - they can indeed help me! Also able to supply Limousin Veal. I'll try next week if possible and report back.

I did try! And very good it was too! Unfortunately I'm running out of photo space on ImageGullet due to an error on my part and I can't delete the unwated photos so there won't be any photos. Leon was the person I spoke to at TFC and he was happy to supply me although it really isn't geared up to supply to the public at the moment. Smaller cuts are not available although they are moving premises shortly and hopefully will be able to cut some smaller pieces of meat. I picked the meat up from their office in Brockley.

Suffice to say the meat (Pyrenean Milk-fed lamb) was very pale with a lovely delicate flavour. I had a pair of legs which I butchered my self (sounds harder than it was). It had a thin layer of white fat and it was wrapped in crepinette to provide additional help. Each leg weighed approximately 1kg once prepped and It was roasted at around 200 degrees for around 35 minutes, cooked around medium (55 degrees). Served alongside some Pommes Dauphinoise. Superb.

Next week I'm going to cook in a covered pot with a few aromatics and maybe a little white wine until it is falling off the bone. I can't wait! :smile:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for edible rice paper A4 size- anyone know where I can buy it?

Erica

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

I'm looking for edible rice paper A4 size- anyone know where I can buy it?

Erica

Any of the supermarkets in Chinatown should stock it. I buy mine at the place on Gerrard Street that has a small ground floor selling sweets etc, and a larger shop selling savouries in the basement. Don't know the name, though.

Edited by Clerkenwellian (log)

Tripas de bacalao? They are the salted air bladders of the bacalao and my new addiction. I first had them at da Caino in Italy and brought some back from the Boqueria in Barcelona and tried a couple of recipes that drew raves. Once soaked, skinned, and blanched, they become white and gelatinous. Their cooking water also has huge amounts of natural gelatin. [i add this explanation mainly because this might be a common product here but sold under an English name that is not familiar to me.]

I'd also like to find whole loins of dried bonito (kastuo bushi) to shave at home.

As for sharpening a Japanese knife (my previous question), I found the answer at The Japanese Knife Company, where they sell and sharpen high-quality Japanese knives. I'm going in soon for a sharpening lesson!

Someone suggested a sharpening gizmo instead of using a whetstone. I doubt it would work on my traditional hand-forged knives, which unlike Western ones are sharpened only on one side and are made of a harder steel. It might work on a hybrid knife like Global.

Edited by Culinista (log)

As for sharpening a Japanese knife (my previous question), I found the answer at The Japanese Knife Company, where they sell and sharpen high-quality Japanese knives. I'm going in soon for a sharpening lesson!

You're welcome. :wink:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 1 month later...

though its a little early in the season, i'm looking for purslane. I usually hit the turkish shops in green lanes and kingsland/dalston, but not sure if there is any around yet or if its too early in the season.

anyone seen it out there?

shops......or any particular patches it grows really well.....all sources appreciated! i've got to find some, and would prefer for it to be by the end of may.....i live in hampshire not too far from either petersfield or portsmouth, but will travel up to london for it.....

thanks in advance,

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Easy to grow in a small pot or old wooden wine box( great for all mini-veg and leaves). try Chiltern seeds, Thompson and Morgan, Suffolk Herbs or even Seeds from Italy) or probably the local garden centre.

thanks helenjp and nimzo, planting it is a great idea, and i should do that for personal use, but i need it to test recipes for a newspaper article i'm working on.

am thrilled to be writing about purslane, but desparate to get the fresh stuff in time to test my recipes. article is time sensitive, though truthfully i've made so many different things with it over the past years i could probably get away without testing.

its just that i want to really push and do something special. and as i only have space for three recipes, want to experiment and make them really unique. exciting.

cause i do find purslane exciting.

x thanks again,

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I found this...

"Vegetables: I ordered a veg box from North Aston Organics, 18 miles from Oxford, and went to collect it by bike (50p discount for customer pick-up) from the back of Daisies Flower Shop. Delicious salad leaves — purslane, mizuna, rocket, ..."

...from the Times online dated March 15 2006.

Might be worth a try

North Aston Organics

Supplies fruit and veg boxes.

3 Somerton Road, North Aston, Bicester, OX6 4HP. Tel - 01869 347702

the Mountain Food Company provide wonderful herbs from the Welsh mountains and surrounds, hairy bittercress, sea purslane, wood sorrel, pennywort, etc

Mountain Food Co

Banc y ddol

Whitland

Dyfed

the kitchen at Lolas has the number, I have mislaid it, but we use them quite a lot.

Call our kitchen number 77042984 if you would like the number quickly

i want to thank everyone who has contacted me about farms and foragers--morfudd, i shall call you at lolas for the number of mountain food co.

i've been leaving phone messages and emails all over the place, but so far, no answer about purslane.

i suppose i shall go up to london and do a turkish supermarket crawl which should bring me luck eventually.

i did of course, check all the weeks in my garden, but for some reason, purslane hasn't popped up here, at least in the years i've lived in this house. it never dawned on me to plant it funnily enough: my delight has always been finding it as a weed!

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Dear Spam,

could you tell me which other salad goodies are in the mix with the purslane? thanks.

and Dear Matthew Grant,

thanks to you for your turnips at borough market tip. i'll give them a ring tomorrow.

so far, all, in my quest for purslane, no one has returned my calls (though i haven't yet run Lola's to get the number for the purslane).

I'm off to malaysia later next week, and am hoping when i get back towards the end of the month, that i'll be able to get puslane then.

i might have to revive this thread then!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com