• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK Ingredient/Equipment Source

Where in London apart from borough market and the high end deptartment stores

can I buy good/reasonably priced porcini?

So it is a little late for the autumn ones, you may have to wait for spring.

M and C on Turnham green terrace and

Michanicou Brothers

2 Clarendon Road

London, W11 3AA

Telephone: 020 7727 5191

Fax: 020 7243 5119

in Holland Park (round the corner from Lidgates) both have them normally in season.

Saltpetre etc in London?

Chemist on the high street in West Drayton - I bought a kilo for not much money - they ordered it for me

Also from most Chinese grocers. There are (I think) some restrictions on the sale of saltpetre (Potassium Nitrate) in the UK due its use in bomb making (one kilo would make a good bang, not sure what your chemist was thinking), so other "saltpetres" are sometimes offered. Make sure of what you have Saltpetre (Potassium Nitrate), rather then Chile Saltpetre (Sodium Nitrate) or Lime Saltpetre (Calcium Nitrate).

Knife sharpening, preferably lessons? I have 4 Japanese whetstones and several high-quality sashimi and santoku knives but am petrified of ruining them. They were last sharpened at Aritsugu in Kyoto.

I'm also looking for Iwatani gas canisters and Japanese charcoal-the smokeless kind that can be used in a small tabletop brazier.

there's nothing as satisfying as sharpening your own knives, ditch the whetstones and get hold of a 'spyderco tri angle sharpmaker' ebay is a good place to look, then visit

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

when you've got used to the techniques involved, you can get your traditional whetstones out again, but the spyderco gizmo is excellent for a beginner

• 3 weeks later...

where can I find a very long rolling pin?? I am trying to simulate a Turkish Oklava, should be long about 80 cm and diameter of 2 cm. In the past I used a long stick bought in an hardware store (they had some wood projects material) and also a stick from a broom. But so far, I looked around and I could see anything of "untreated" material and stable. I went to the turkish food center in Lewisham (thanks for suggesting) but I didn't see any. Is there a do-it-yourself shop where I could find it?

where can I find a very long rolling pin?? I am trying to simulate a Turkish Oklava, should be long about 80 cm and diameter of 2 cm. In the past I used a long stick bought in an hardware store (they had some wood projects material) and also a stick from a broom. But so far, I looked around and I could see anything of "untreated" material and  stable.  I went to the turkish food center in Lewisham (thanks for suggesting) but I didn't see any. Is there a do-it-yourself shop where I could find it?

Go to your local builder's or timber merchants and buy a length of dowel at your required diameter - it comes in lengths of 6' or so the length won't be a problem, and it's fairly cheap too - probably cheaper than buying a rolling pin

This is not really a where do I get, although that information would be useful as a second step!

I wondered if any Uk-ers owned an electric deep fryer that they would recommend? I've been looking for one but quality seems to vary so much, I'd really appreciate a personal recommendation.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Magimix, but I don't like it. i've gone back to a saucepan-buy a thermometer if you don't have one. FWIW, If your oven goes very hot, no need to fry. Pull off the heads along with the guts, roll in seasoned flour and put on a preheated heavy roasting dish. No oil needed. should be done in five minutes. I think these are nicer, and just as crisp.

I have tons of new questions :biggrin: , sorry but I am still very new to London.

1. I am familiar with Italian or American cuts of meat. I am trying to understand what's available. Beef: me and my husband tried the ribeye at Northfield farm, not a good as in NY but better than the others we had before (thanks!). I found less choice for braising cut, I saw cubes, I saw braising steak and ox tail, but if I want a big piece? For example, in NY I used to buy chicken steak (is it's the top chuck shoulder the one with the big vein of gelatine in the middle) or how do you call chuck tender?

Still talking about meat. If I want to buy veal bones for stock, where do I find it? Marrow? Veal breast to stuff?

Where do I find good demi-glace? I saw tons of derivatives sauces, but the demi-glace?

2. Good portogues place for bacalahu? I went to Garcia in Notting hill and I didn't like it! In those plastic bags...

Sorry for having so many questions!

Thanks

I have tons of new questions :biggrin: , sorry but I am still very new to London.

1. I am familiar with Italian or American cuts of meat. I am trying to understand what's available. Beef: me and my husband tried the ribeye at Northfield farm, not a good as in NY but better than the others we had before (thanks!). I found less choice for braising cut, I saw cubes, I saw braising steak and ox tail, but if I want a big piece? For example, in NY I used to buy chicken steak (is it's the top chuck shoulder the one with the big vein of gelatine in the middle) or how do you call chuck tender?

Still talking about meat. If I want to buy veal bones for stock, where do I find it? Marrow? Veal breast to stuff?

Where do I find good demi-glace? I saw tons of derivatives sauces, but the demi-glace?

2. Good portogues place for bacalahu? I went to Garcia in Notting hill and I didn't like it! In those plastic bags...

Sorry for having so many questions!

Thanks

Hi Franci - There is really good meat about - stuff that you'll really enjoy eating. Sadly, you'll need to look for it - there is a lot of really poor quality stuff as well - as you are discovering. Most of the meat in supermarkets is either awful or ridiculously expensive.

You need to find a really good family butchers - there is a fantastic one on Chiswick High Street (Not living in London, so I can't recommend any more - I'm sure others can help tho.). It's worthwhile developing a relationship with your butcher - many of them are really helpful and knowledgeable.

It's also worthwhile going to farmers markets and developing a relationship with the guys there - I have the home number of one of the butchers that I use - I can give hime a call before the market and he'll make sure that he has the cuts and weights that I want - I've not used the offer, but it is nice to know.

I hope that this helps. Don't despair - this country has some of the finest meat you'll ever eat.

• 3 weeks later...
Pyrenean Milk-fed lamb - the younger/paler the better

I think Selfridges or Harvey Nicks may do it, can anybody confirm this or suggest anywhere else?

Not sure about those two, but for online you could try Wild Harvest or TFC Express, though I'm not sure if the latter sells the lamb to non-trade customers.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog