• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Everyday Port's

CtznCane

Andre's post spurs on a couple of questions. What are your favorite everyday/regular Port's and are there any special pairings you like?

By "everyday/regular" I mean blended port and not vintage port. The major Port houses have strived through the years to create their blends to be consistant year to year in order to develop a loyal following. Whether Ruby, Tawny, or general blend this holds true. Their vintage port being reserved to be more unique. For myself, I like tawny's but don't have a particular favorite. Yet when buying a blended port, overall, the one I most consistantly buy/drink is Warre's Warrior. I find it to have a nice depth of flavor, a smooth finish and just a plleasing wine overall.

As to pairings, chocolate, stilton cheese, and cigars are the classics. I'd love to have a cigar but being an ex-smoker that temptation could lead to too many problems. Stilton I enjoy, as well as blue, but it doesn't come to mind or be on hand as often. Chocolate on the other hand winds up being what I'll generally have along with my port. (Though I am enthusiastic enough to enjoy it on its own.)

I'm really curious of any savory dishes one might serve with port. This might be best accomplished in a first course. I haven't found or thought of any yet but my curiosity in this vein is really piqued.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

What are your favorite everyday/regular Port's and are there any special pairings you like?

Our favorites are tawnies, and a couple of our everyday "ports" are Hardy's Whiskers Blake and Ficklin's 10 Year Tawny. I think they are both very good for the price. Usually we will drink them with or after dessert. We also recently finished a Churchill's Dry White Port that was very, very nice. I think this one is dry enough that it would be very good as an aperitif or with a cheese course. The sales person at the store suggested the traditional way of serving it was a little soda and a twist of lemon. Not sure if he was pulling my leg. WPLJ.

One we recently tried and didn't care much for was Noval's Raven Port. I guess they are trying to appeal to folks who don't normally drink Port with this one. Very light in style.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm glad you brought up Ficklin. I almost mentioned them but I haven't had any of their port in quite some time. While many California wineries have gotten into the port game, most frequently with Zin Ports, Ficklin has been around for as long as I"ve been drinking (too long) and has consistantly made a good Port.

As to the cocktail mentioned to you about white port, I think white port, unlike the more traditional red port has been used as a cocktail drink/mixer. Perhpas others know more on that but where does the use of white port as part of a mixed drink stem?

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I like the Benjamin Tawny Port. Inexpensive, good depth of flavor and a "middle-of-the-road" enough style for pairing with different cheeses or just sipping solo. An astonishing bargain as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My favorite port is the Quinta da Estanho 20 y o.

Not too cheap or easy to get but very much woth seeking.

I wouldn't mind the Sandeman or Ferriera NV as an every day drink or the Cockburn's LBV 1991.

There is a new style of ports entering the market like Sandeman's Vau Vintage 1997. But his will require a seperate tasting and explenation about the Portuguese struugle to maintain tradition through better vinification techniques.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.