• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

warmer weather

suzz

As the snow refuses to melt, I'm fantasizing about warm weather meals under the sun or stars, on a patio surrounded by flowers and greenery. Kind of a gourmet secret garden. Does anyone have any recommendations for al fresco restaurants? Planning for the future may get me through the cold and mud.

I'm with you, suzz--I love dining al fresco too!

As the name implies Trattoria Fresco has a beautiful patio! If you haven't been there in the nice weather, it's definitely something to look forward to!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Here's an old list that I found.

Al Fresco Dining

Arthur’s Landing Weehawken

Balcony - Montclair

Basilico - Millburn

Cafe Matisse, Belmar

Café Matisse--Rutherford

Casa Comida, Long Branch

El Meson, Freehold

Elm Street Cafe - Westfield

Frog and the Peach—New Brunswick

Gerrino--Hoboken

Highlawn Pavilion

Huntley Taverne - Summit

Il Piccolo Forno, Long Branch

Il Porto-- on the boardwalk in Sparta

Jefferson house --Jefferson

Juanitos, Red Bank

Juno's--Edgewater

Le Petit France, Red Bank

Lory’s Lakeside—Farrington Lake

Manon - Lambertville

Mason Street Pub--Jefferson

Metropolitan Cafe, Freehold

Milan - Pinebrook

Most restaurants in Hoboken

Navesink Cafe, Red Bank

Off The Hook, Highlands

Oggi - Caldwell

Old Bay-- New Brunswick

O'Sullivans --Jefferson--burgers and fries on the water

Raferty’s-- New Brunswick

Rat’s—Hamilton

Ristorante Il Porto on Lake Mohawk, Sparta, -

Rooneys Crab House, Long Branch

Ruth Chris--Weehawkin

Sea Gulls Nest, Sandy Hook

Sir John’s—North Brunswick

Stage House Inn –Scotch Plains

Stage Left—New Brunswick

Thai Chef—Montclair

Trap Rock Brewery - Berkley Heights

Union House, Red Bank

Wild Ginger—Englewood

Windlass--Lake Hopatcong

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The Jefferson has a LOVELY patio out back! I'm looking forward to trying it out once the weather permits.

The (new) Elysian Cafe has a pretty big dining section out on the sidewalk...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Thanks for the list Rosie!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Changes to list Eastern Monmouth/Shore:

Casa Comida has not had outdoor dining for a couple years now.

Juanitos outdoor dining area is now under a rather permanent tent.

Navesink Cafe has closed, but has been replaced by Osaka, a great Japanese place with the same view

Union House has closed

Additions:

WindandSea - Highlands Nice view of Sandy Hook Bay

Rice - Highlands (Former site of "Havana") Exceptionally beautiful outdoor patio with waterfalls and reflecting pool.

Parkhill's - Allenhurst, nice view of Deal Lake. Watch trains go by behind restaurant

Teak - Red Bank Nice view of downtown, great dining before shows at Count Basie theater a block away

Christophers - Colts Neck

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

add most of Ridgewood too

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Underrepresented on that list are the 1 Million people of Bergen County... (except for Wild Ginger, which puts out 2 tables on a narrow sidewalk)

Among the ones I can think of in Bergen:

Fratelli, Ridgewood

Thai Chef, Englewood

Andiamo, Haworth

Jackson Hole, Englewood

Trattoria Terrana, Bergenfield

Pasta Amore, Piermont

From the latest weather forecast, however, this wnter-that-never-ends might be lasting well into May!!

add most of Ridgewood too

And blend at top speed for 30 seconds. :laugh:

Didn't someone report that Greek Delights in Montclair had outdoor tables? Well I plan to find out when the season is right.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

[Didn't someone report that Greek Delights in Montclair had outdoor tables?

yep, they put out a few in warmer weather. their tables kind of bump up against those of their neighbor Mexicali Rose.

more in Montclair:

Epernay on Park St.

Taro & Suzette on Church St.

Bonjour Montclair (creperie in Watchung Plaza)

Cafe Eclectic on Bloomfield (good luck snagging a table)

South Park on Park & Church

Marzullo's on Grove

Roundtrip Fare at the Upper Montclair train station

alan @594 on Valley has tables out back in the courtyard

Raymond's used to when they were in the smaller space, wonder if they'll do it now that they've moved.

Terazza in Nutley has 3 or 4 tables out front when the weather permits

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Underrepresented on that list are the 1 Million people of Bergen County... (except for Wild Ginger, which puts out 2 tables on a narrow sidewalk)

Fratelli, Ridgewood

Thai Chef, Englewood

Andiamo, Haworth

Jackson Hole, Englewood

Pasta Amore, Piermont

From the latest weather forecast, however, this wnter-that-never-ends might be lasting well into May!!

Are these Bergen spots limited to sidewalk service, or do any of them have more private terraces?

Fratelli, Ridgewood

Thai Chef, Englewood

Andiamo, Haworth

Jackson Hole, Englewood

Pasta Amore, Piermont

Are these Bergen spots limited to sidewalk service, or do any of them have more private terraces?

Actually, of these, I think only Fratelli and Pasta Amore are on the sidewalk; and Fratelli has a recessed storefront, so the seating is 3 tables deep; Pasta Amore is also on a wide sidewalk. Any more good choices in Bergen?

AHEM, Cibo... :biggrin:

The Jefferson has a LOVELY patio out back! I'm looking forward to trying it out once the weather permits.

The (new) Elysian Cafe has a pretty big dining section out on the sidewalk...

In Montclair, add Osteria Giotto on Midland Avenue in Montclair, which has tables out on the sidewalk. As they don't take reservations for these tables, it's one possible way to be able to eat there without preplanning.