• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2005 wines

AlisonA

I am looking for a Kosher for Passover not sweet/not dessert wine to serve (saw the ice wine thread). I am a bit of a wine novice but my FIL is not so I would like to have something reasonably priced but nice (less than $30 a bottle would be good, around $20 would be GREAT if that seems reasonable) . If it helps he is currently on an Australian red wine kick (something with a pun in the name maybe?) - not much info but some. Me, I like merlots and zinfandels.

Right now I am going to serve either leg of lamb or brisket

or roast turkey.

I know - diffferent wines, but help with both would be great, much more likely to go with a red than a white.

Thanks! I hope this is enough info.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

I am looking for a Kosher for Passover not sweet/not dessert wine to serve (saw the ice wine thread).  AlisonA

The last issue of Bon Appetit had an article on 'real' wines that are kosher (not the sweet stuff). It's at home, though, I can look it up tonight if nobody else answers.

Ana the Librarian

Twins were born June 14th, 2006!!!!!

I'm also a Disney Trivia fan: DisneyTrivia

I trade books!

Have books to trade? Join PaperBack Swap!

If you're willing to go up to $30, try the Baron Herzog Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley. It should be available for $25/30. I've never been dissapointed with this wine and it will be perfect with lamb.

Some other thoughts inclue the Roberto Cohen Cotes-du-Rhone Special Reserve. I've also had some really good Tishbi wines lately. A couple are out of your price range, but you should be able to find something for less than $30.

Where are you? If you're in the metro NY area, maybe I can point you to a good wine store.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

If you're willing to go up to $30, try the Baron Herzog Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley.  It should be available for $25/30.  I've never been dissapointed with this wine and it will be perfect with lamb.

Some other thoughts inclue the Roberto Cohen Cotes-du-Rhone Special Reserve.  I've also had some really good Tishbi wines lately.  A couple are out of your price range, but you should be able to find something for less than $30.

Where are you?  If you're in the metro NY area, maybe I can point you to a good wine store.

Essex County, NJ. Looking to go to the Wine Library on Morris Tpk.

AlisonA

Thanks everyone!

I've made some notes and will keep tabs on this thread . Off to read the Katie Loeb article, hoping some of the wines mentioned are still available. May just have to pick up that Bon Appetit.

AlisonA

I'm strongest on Bergen County, but you should be able to find a store with a strong kosher wine selection in West Orange.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I'm strongest on Bergen County, but you should be able to find a store with a strong kosher wine selection in West Orange.

I'll ask at preschool tomorrow - JCC West Orange. I've only been here since July so this has not come up before. :smile:

Thanks again,

AlisonA

Please check out this from last year:

Katie Loeb's Wine for Passover article

It is full of great advice on Kosher for Passover wines as well as pairings and recipes!  :biggrin:

Thanks for the plug Melissa! And for saving me the search through the PA forum.

I actually have to go back and look through there at the recipes myself!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

BTW, if it's not to much of a schlep for you, Gotham Wines (in Manhattan) will be holding their 2nd annual wine tasting. I believe the date is April 10th. It's a wonderful event as most of the kosher distributors and some fo the winemakers are there and you can go from table to table trying many different wines.

Their phone number is 212-932-0990. The guy who handles all the kosher wine is Costas.

Thanks for the link. Good news is that I at least know where that is!

Here is where I was looking, they have a sort feature for kosher wines, I'll just have to check to text for passover listings:

Wine Library Springfield

I know where this is too.

Still deciding what to do.

AlisonA

BTW, if it's not to much of a schlep for you, Gotham Wines (in Manhattan) will be holding their 2nd annual wine tasting.  I believe the date is April 10th.  It's a wonderful event as most of the kosher distributors and some fo the winemakers are there and you can go from table to table trying many different wines.

Their phone number is 212-932-0990.  The guy who handles all the kosher wine is Costas.

Hmm, keep it on the radar. Maybe I'll see if one of my friends wants to make a girls day of it.

Thanks,

AlisonA

Stay away from this wine. We had it last week and poured out most of the bottle. It tasted like alcoholic sugar water. No fruit whatsoever!

If you're willing to go up to $30, try the Baron Herzog Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley.  It should be available for $25/30.  I've never been dissapointed with this wine and it will be perfect with lamb.

REALLY? I've tried Baron Herzog wines a couple times & actively disliked them. They were definitely cheaper bottles though - $10-$14ish? Is there a big jump in quality for their more expensive wines? I wasn't willing to try them given my bad first impression...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

May just have to pick up that Bon Appetit.

AlisonA

It's written by Alan Richman an he recommends:

Golan 2003 Moscato (Galilee) ($10)

Carmel Winery 2002 Ben Zimra Cab. Sauv., Upper Galilee ($28)

Kiddush Hashem Cellars 2002 Syrah (Calif.) ($30)

and more expensive:

Capcanes Peraj Ha'abib 2000 Flor de Primavera (Spain)($50)

Segals 2002 unfiltered Cab. Sauv., (Galil) ($60)

He also says that the Schapiro's naturally sweet American concord ($4) is 'noticeably drier and fruitier' than the usual sweet ones.

I remember finding some very nice Kosher Malbecs in Chile. I haven't seen them imported, though. :hmmm:

Ana the Librarian

Twins were born June 14th, 2006!!!!!

I'm also a Disney Trivia fan: DisneyTrivia

I trade books!

Have books to trade? Join PaperBack Swap!

Gan Eden winery have some well made Cab's to lookk out for and Hezog's old vine Zin is not too bad either [ simply perfect balance ].

Russian River Chardonnay by Herzog is one of the better Kosher whites made.

Israeli kosher recommendatins:

Melot Benyamina Special Reserve 2000. Med. bodied well rounded and smooth drinking wine.

Syrah, Ramat Arad Kerem line by Carmel 2003 - one of the best choices as a food friendly wine.

Tzora Stone Ridge 2002 - developed into a mature blend of Cabernet and Merlot with a consistant medium body that is very well balanced. A bit of everything in this one make it interesting enough.

Tishbi wines are always a good value. Look out for their 2001 Estate Reds and 2002-2003 Estate whites. Their 2003 Pinot Noir is worth seeking.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.