• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good People, Lousy Tippers

FabulousFoodBabe

say I order a $60 pitcher of margaritas with dinner or a $200 botle of wine. to me, it's insane to tip 25 % on this. I believe if you can't affort to tip properly, you don't deserve to order, yet. $12 on a pitcher or 40 bucks to open a bottle of wine (which takes the same amount off effort no matter the price) is just too much..am I crazy? cheap?

A $200 bottle of wine uncorked and left on the table for diners to tend by themselves? I've never seen that. But a $200 bottle opened, poured for tasting, kept safe and out of the way, and served throughout the meal deserves the same 20% as the food brought from the kitchen. Or the $50 bottle that gets the same attention. Or the pitcher of margaritas, for that matter -- a bartender prepares that and works for the same tips.

I just can't rationalize splitting the check into parts and deciding what is worthy of a 20% tip and what isn't.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

such wisdon here.. why is it so common then to subtract tip on drinks then? is it an acceptable practice somewhere, that has just been missappropriated here?

besides, as I said before, while I do tip appropreatly and often quite genorously, my feelings of poverty make me wonder if there is a standardised way to ensure that I don't overtip thus incresing my actual poverty.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

such wisdon here.. why is it so common then to subtract tip on drinks then? is it an acceptable practice somewhere, that has just been missappropriated here?

I admit that when I am at the bar, I never tip more that $1 per pour regardless of the price of the cocktail except for the time I was at the Penisula Hotel, ordered 2 shots of Jack Daniels for a friend and myself. I placed $40 dollars on the bar (thinking we'd have another round) and the bartender returned $12. I was so stunned I left $5. I have not been back since. I guess that's a good way to keep the riff-raff out! :shock: Really nice bar though.

Emma Peel