• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

porotta

easternsun

my husband is in india and it seems his daily diet includes a lot of porotta! i love them too! especially with chili gobi...yum! :wub:

i went to school in kerala and studied cooking. i asked about learning to make porotta and some of the kitchen staff just laughed and said "oh, its much to difficult for you" :hmmm: - so i never did learn to make them. just how difficult is it?

thanks! :biggrin:

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

The mysterious parantha/parotha/choose your own word for it. I absolutely fell in love with this bread in Kerala, where I recall a few things about it's preparation:

The street vendors in Kodaikanal and in the other hill stations used ghee very liberally: A flat metal table was greased and the dough was stretched, rolled and flattened on it.

The parantha was then fried on a tawa, whereas further north and in AP it was cooked in a Tandoor. I can't speak for states north of AP but despite the availability there were a number of variations. The Aloo ke Parantha I had in...Chennai maybe...was quite good but not as good as the plain paranthas in Kerala, eaten for breakfast with a simple vegetable or with Rasam.

[

thanks for directing me! now i just need to work on my spelling! it is parantha, right?

not necessarily.

porotta is the accepted kerala variation of the spelling.

the north indian spellings include:

paratha, parantha parontha, parhothi, etc etc.

the parotta is the specific kerala version made with

maida (instead of chapati flour) and many many

thin layers brushed with ghee and rolled out many times.

very labor intensive.

not sure if it's in that egci link you were directed to.

milagai

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

coming to a store near you (with a little luck!)
The famed Malabari 'paratha' of Kerala, a many-layered fried bread made from unleavened dough, is going global.

actually there are a couple of brands already available;

i think deep foods may already have a version of "parotta"

out, and another (can't remember, maybe pillsbury).

i'm not in a position to tell you how good they are,

because i looked at the nutrition label and when i saw

they were ~ 400 calories each (sign that they indeed

do have the authentic amounts of ghee etc.)

plus made out of maida (=the most refined form of white flour

you can imagine) i decided very reluctantly to walk away......

they taste great but alas, for me they are going to be

a once in a very blue moon treat....

milagai

• 1 year later...

I'm joining the discussion a little late but I'm also a big fan of the porotta and after a bit of searching I found this lady's blog with a full recipe with pictures. I haven't tried as I don't have access to a kitchen at the moment but I'm looking forward to giving it a go!