• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who or what are your main influences?

Shaun - thanks for agreeing to take part.  It is greatly appreciate by all of us.

Now or in the past, who do regard as your peers and who inspires you most?

What about the produce itself – are you moved by (local) produce or by a particular cuisine or method of cooking?

Most inspiration comes from either a new arrival, seasonally or whatever in what produce is available or from some change in technologu. For me, the liquidiser openeed up loads of possibilities and I use it to make several sauces - it can emulsify oils like olive or sesame into a sauce to produce a creamy effect without the cloying characteristics of too much added cream or butter.

I would be deluding myself if I didn't think that the ideas and recipes of others doesn't play a part as well. Interestingly I pinched an idea once from a book called Secrets of the Great French Restaurants by Louisette Bertholle for a bourride made with chicken rather then fish but thickened in the same way with garlic mayonnaise and found that Marion Jones from Croque en Bouche had the same dish - pinched from the same book - on her menu.

I read fairly widely and eat out where possible and will take anyone's good idea. No problem