• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pimp My Burger

John Braise

Is this what the Germans really think of us? :raz:

That is freakin' hilarious. Why do the Germans get to see it first??

"First" implies that it's not an effort specifically made for overseas. Despite the English language... I'm not convinced that it ISN'T a local spot (although it could also be for several overseas markets at once).

One thing I find interesting--that the chicken sandwich is repeatedly being called "a burger". I'm pretty sure that they'd never do that in the U.S. market.

I'm curious... where in the world is the slogan "Feel The Fire" being used for the chain? Germany, obviously, but maybe some other countries too.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Despite the English language... I'm not convinced that it ISN'T a local spot.  And if so... is this what the Germans really think of us? 

Of course not. They know perfectly well that America is a place where "die Brüste wachsen auf Bäumen", just like Hootie says.

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

The reference to a chicken sandwich as a burger kept throwing me off. I'm certain they wouldn't do that for the U.S. market. We just don't use burger in that sense. And Burger King serves brain dead food and markets it accordingly here. Also the whole pimp thing... dunno how it would go over here. :laugh: It was there to "sex" up the "burger" and it built the sexual innuendo. Which isn't something that Burger King probably wants to add to their U.S. marketing strategy. We have Burger Kings with play gyms and the kids meals with toys that are tied into the latest kids movie or cartoon characters.

I don't recall any play gyms and kids meals in Korea or France at any of the American fast food chains, not that I looked closely. Come to think of it I vaguely recall (not sure) Chez MacDo had some play gyms in the suburban areas...

The reference to a chicken sandwich as a burger kept throwing me off. I'm certain they wouldn't do that for the U.S. market. We just don't use burger in that sense. And Burger King serves brain dead food and markets it accordingly here.

OTOH, they don't seem to want to call a chicken sandwich by its name any more. Tender Crisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch? Where's the bird? :raz:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

We need some Europeans to comment on "burger".

I was in Scotland a couple weeks ago and saw a magazine ad for a "burger" which was chicken not beef. In the US, burger means hamburger, man!!

At the time I thought it was because of the "mad cow" scare that maybe burgers are now chicken burgers not beef.

I dont' think that's so, but especially now seeing this ad and knowing it's German.

One last thing - I really like BK's ad "Wake up with King". At the end the guy in bed with the King gets a little creeped out. That is freekin hilarious.

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

We need some Europeans to comment on "burger".

"I was in Scotland a couple weeks ago and saw a magazine ad for a "burger" which was chicken not beef. In the US, burger means hamburger, man!!

At the time I thought it was because of the "mad cow" scare that maybe burgers are now chicken burgers not beef."

When i was in Japan, everything at the McDonalds was a McBurger: the burger, the shrimppatty,burger, and the best....The McFrank Burger(a hot dog).

Edited by Timh (log)

So a little research shows that, not only does mtv.de show "Pimp my Ride", but also Pimp my Fahrrad :laugh: I wonder how "pimping" translates culturally in a country where prostitution is legal...

Andrew -- breasts grow on trees? :huh: ??

edit: I would also proudly add that the Hamburg bike shop in that clip is one I passed every day on the way to the bus stop in A's old neighborhood. :cool:

Edited by Behemoth (log)

In Korea whatever protein that an American or American style fast food chain puts between a hamburger shaped bun is considered to be a "burger".

Interesting to see this sandwich return to Europe and even Germany, mutated.

In older US cookbooks and food writing that I've read, what's now known in the US as a Hamburger or just 'burger was often called "Hamburger sandwich" or "Hamburg sandwich."

De Gouy's amazing Sandwich Manual for Professionals (New York, 1939), among its 63 pages of "Club, or Three-Decker" Sandwich recipes, has 19 recipes with hamburger patties as parts of the stack. (Any number of accompaniments. One of the later ones is made on orange date bread and includes bean salad, orange marmalade, nut meats and watercress, with the cooked ground beef patty.)

= Max

So a little research shows that, not only does mtv.de show "Pimp my Ride", but also Pimp my Fahrrad laugh.gif I wonder how "pimping" translates culturally in a country where prostitution is legal...

Too much TV. I grew up watching alot of the same things that my wife did. Me, tiny French Village. Her, big city America. I don't think too many Europeans would have trouble understanding the imagery.

Behemoth, I also understand the other point your making. :wink:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

If this was intended to be a Germany only spot, why is it in English?

The content of the spot made some of us think that it wasn't for an American audience. I don't know if it's for Germany only though. The characters only make sense if they are American and Americans don't speak German. Also it can be subtitled into any language and shown in other countries or not subtitled for non-US, but English speaking audiences.

What did I just say. :unsure::laugh:

Yeah, what everybody else said.

Anyone see the smirkingly shameless shilling on Arrested Development last night? I hadn't even realized it at the time but someone's web site pointed out that that's when they had Henry Winkler's character literally jump a shark :rolleyes:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

AWESOME!

That is without a doubt the most brilliant advertising campaign I have ever seen in my life. I mean, its not every day that I spend 15 minutes watching a commercial for a fast food chain. Really great...

The American speaking with the subtitles does seem puzzling. Also I noticed that subtitles like "True Taste" (The name of the company) were not changed into German, which could cause non-english speakers to really miss out on some humor...

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

The American speaking with the subtitles does seem puzzling. Also I noticed that subtitles like "True Taste" (The name of the company) were not changed into German, which could cause non-english speakers to really miss out on some humor...

Most Germans, especially those of MTV-watching age, speak fairly fluent English. I am guessing the fact that it is in English is part of the charm for them.