• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken: Cook-Off 5

Chris Amirault

They look awesome! I want fried chicken now. Stop me someone. Please.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am now a fan of large plastic containers for flouring the chicken. I was able to do 3 of these small pieces at a time without knocking the flour off of the pieces.

Yes, Linda, you have the cutest legs around :biggrin: .

Did the plastic container contain the flour from seeping out and getting into all of those cupboard door and counter nooks and crannies?

Even tought I have gas (stove, I mean), I still have trouble with temp control. I figure I just need to fry up a few more batches (I have two people at church who are saving backs for me :wub: ) and then I should have it down.

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I am gaining experience. I think now I could fly by the seat of my pants without a thermometer. I know what the ideal "looks like" now, sorta like I used to.

Yes. The container keeps the flour contained. I need to find one that is easier to get the lid off and on with gloppy hands.

I have seen drumettes as well. These were labeled drumlets. Whatever. Maybe the butcher can't spell. :laugh: They are supposed to be just the first joint from what I can tell.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

those little legs look great! I just ate the last piece of chicken from the other night. Yum!! I gotta say though, in the blind taste test we still couldn't tell pan fried from deep fryer. Anyone else do this experiment? i think we just have taste buds that aren't very picky!!!

Cooking chicken has the greatest puns, doesn't it?  Nice legs, large breasts, my thighs are too big, do you have gas? and on & on....   :laugh:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But what about my backs?

Oy. Don't tempt me like that. I've been known to come up with really bad parodies, and I'm feeling one on "Baby Got Back" comin' on. :shock::laugh:

Meanwhile ... did we ever come to any kind of conclusion about the new trans-fat free Crisco vs. the original in terms of effect on the whole frying process, taste, appearance, whatever? I recall a few folks trying it out way at the beginning of the thread, but don't recall a final verdict.

. . . . .

Meanwhile ... did we ever come to any kind of conclusion about the new trans-fat free Crisco vs. the original in terms of effect on the whole frying process, taste, appearance, whatever? I recall a few folks trying it out way at the beginning of the thread, but don't recall a final verdict.

Well, I did the previous too-big thighs in the new Crisco. I did the little drumettes in the old Crisco just for that reason. I didn't see any difference. Both were fresh from the can, not recycled since that issue has come up on this thread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

. . . . .

Well, I did the previous too-big thighs in the new Crisco. I did the little drumettes in the old Crisco just for that reason. I didn't see any difference. Both were fresh from the can, not recycled since that issue has come up on this thread.

Cool. I figure my next fried chicken experiment--whenever that winds up happening--will be with the trans-free stuff. Probably with pieces of wing too. See if I too can finally achieve non-burnt chick.

i was making my fried chicken again last night and i sort of discovered something. i didn't check if it was already posted an di was too lazy to check. but anyways. i thought i could make the crust crunchier if i let the chicken sit and allow the moisture to seep into the flour and then just dredge it again. i worked except for the fact that there was uncooked flour on the outside. since it wasn't moist the gluten couldn't form and it basically just sat there. so i tried another pieces doing the same thing and then just letting it sit for a while again and let the moisture seep into the second coat of flour. and that did it. super crunchy crust.

bork bork bork

somebody asked about deepfrying vs shallowfrying.

I tried the eggwash/seasoned flour/immediate frying version and decided that deepfrying produces a softer crust than shallowfrying (crisp rather than crunchy). The deepfried chicken was a little paler than the shallowfried version.

I deepfried in a wok, and used a lid. Just for the hell of it.

Don't ask me. I just asked my mom, and she doesn't know-she just does it. And both of the other women involved, my grandmother Lois and her long time housekeeper Dorothy, are long gone from kitchens on this earth.

I somehow always assumed that it somehow helped with flour adherance, but I honestly never spent much time thinking about it. I just eat the stuff.

the baking soda actually does help the flour. the flour plumps a little bit while cooking, giving that nice thicker bready crisp coating. :wink:

great cook-off everyone! i've just been lurking occasionally and was way behind, obviously. :laugh:

another thing i do for completely non-traditional fried chicken is to marinate the chicken pieces in (yes, bottled) bleu cheese dressing before dredging in flour and frying. no egg wash for that. marinate for about an hour, dredge and let sit for 30 minutes. then dredge lightly again and fry. very moist and tender chicken. add spices to flour as you like, we prefer the cajun spice mix i make but use whatever.

ok.... sacrilege here, i know :raz: but this also works great if you want to oven-fry it. you can spray the pieces lightly with butter cooking spray before popping it in the oven. and i can't eat the pan-fried chicky very often. :sad:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I fried a mess of chicken last night. I had two whole cut up chickens, three extra backs :wub::wub::wub:, and about 8 legs.

I have mentioned before that I had temp control problems. I was having a bunch of people over last night, and since I was bound and determined to get a handle on the temp problem, it seemed like a natural. Plus it has been absolutely beautiful outside, and it seemed like good "eat on the deck" food. And, it was.

But, back to temp control. I have figured it out! Although I have figured out that 325 is the ideal temp, I do experience a temp drop when the chicken goes in, one that is takes a few minutes to recover, which I don't think does the chicken crispiness/less greasy factor any good.

So, I brought the oil to 360, and quickly dropped in the chicken. Drop to about 315. Lid on for about 3 minutes. Bingo! Temp maintained at 325 for the rest of frying that batch.

Next batch, I only put in about half the pan. Far less temp drop, far faster temp recovery. After I turned that, I added the amount to fill the pan. Almost zero temp drop. So, for me, it's about staggering it.

gallery_6263_35_1521198.jpg

gallery_6263_35_1488935.jpg

Boy, was this popular. I had 5 adults, two really little kids (toddler age), and 5 big kids/teenagers.

For all of that chicken, I only had two backs, two wings, 3 breast quarters, one thigh and one leg leftover.

The toddlers were my cousin's kids who we were watching while they went out to dinner. She was amazed when she returned to discover that each of these kids had eaten two legs apiece!

For a side, I served a slaw that's a take off on a Nigella Lawson one -- buttermilk, mayo, vinegar, honey dressing; this one also has dried cranberries and pecans.

So, I've fried a lot of chicken lately, and will take a break. But, as we talked last night, this is the perfect thing for me to make on a day when we're going to The Cabin because it is so good leftover. We always get there and are hungry, and this would sure beat chips and crap. I never feel like cooking the evening we get there because we are too busy re-discovering and being excited about being at our little piece of heaven. A good something to eat at the end of the dock

I fried a mess of chicken last night.  I had two whole cut up chickens, three extra backs  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:, and about 8 legs.

I have mentioned before that I had temp control problems.  I was having a bunch of people over last night, and since I was bound and determined to get a handle on the temp problem, it seemed like a natural.  Plus it has been absolutely beautiful outside, and it seemed like good "eat on the deck" food.  And, it was.

But, back to temp control.  I have figured it out!  Although I have figured out that 325 is the ideal temp, I do experience a temp drop when the chicken goes in, one that is takes a few minutes to recover, which I don't think does the chicken crispiness/less greasy factor any good.

So, I brought the oil to 360, and quickly dropped in the chicken.  Drop to about 315.  Lid on for about 3 minutes.  Bingo!  Temp maintained at 325 for the rest of frying that batch.

Next batch, I only put in about half the pan.  Far less temp drop, far faster temp recovery.  After I turned that, I added the amount to fill the pan.  Almost zero temp drop.  So, for me, it's about staggering it.

gallery_6263_35_1521198.jpg

gallery_6263_35_1488935.jpg

Boy, was this popular.  I had 5 adults, two really little kids (toddler age), and 5 big kids/teenagers.

For all of that chicken, I only had two backs, two wings, 3 breast quarters, one thigh and one leg leftover.

The toddlers were my cousin's kids who we were watching while they went out to dinner.  She was amazed when she returned to discover that each of these kids had eaten two legs apiece!

For a side, I served a slaw that's a take off on a Nigella Lawson one -- buttermilk, mayo, vinegar, honey dressing; this one also has dried cranberries and pecans.

So, I've fried a lot of chicken lately, and will take a break.  But, as we talked last night, this is the perfect thing for me to make on a day when we're going to The Cabin because it is so good leftover.  We always get there and are hungry, and this would sure beat chips and crap.  I never feel like cooking the evening we get there because we are too busy re-discovering and being excited about being at our little piece of heaven.  A good something to eat at the end of the dock

my mouth is watering. why don't i have even one chicky in the house right now. :blink: i can almost smell it cooking and taste it from here, Susan! :wub:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

AH HA! By George, I think you've got it! Who the heck is George?

OK, sometimes Aunt Minnie would put the lid on after putting pieces in. I think maybe it was when she was doing more of a batch deal than cycling in like I did last time. As I hit myself upside the head . . . Of course. The lid will keep in the heat and let it recover better. Duh!

Chicken friers of the world, we are closing in on this one.

Susan, your chicken is just gorgeous.

Of course, I am not sure this will solve my electric coil schizophrenic cycling. Next time, I am going to my sisters and cook with gas.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fifi, have you tried the two burner method? I learned this at the Former House That Had An Electric Piece of Shit Stove. One burner on high, one on medium and go back and forth as needed to account for that awful recovery time on most electric burners.

Yes, I nailed it on the head this time.

I had a piece at midnight last night, and a back for breakfast. Sure set me up right for the day!

None of my guests could believe I was "brave" enough to fry chicken. I showed them!

Edited to add: Thanks to everyone who has contributed to these 14 pages on the art of fried chicken. You make it happen for every one of us. That is the real joy of EG.

Edited by snowangel (log)

I'm ashamed to admit, I'm up for one more round this week. Since I've tried Dave's method both deep fried and pan fried, it's only fair that I give Brooks' a try deep fried. So, I'll be using Brooks's method, but since I'm deep frying I'm also going to be double dipping. Stay tuned. :biggrin:

Marlene

I'm ashamed to admit, I'm up for one more round this week.  Since I've tried Dave's method both deep fried and pan fried, it's only fair that I give Brooks' a try deep fried.  So, I'll be using Brooks's method, but since I'm deep frying I'm also going to be double dipping.  Stay tuned. :biggrin:

Don't be ashamed. Call it all in the name of the science of frying chicken. Remember, I'm the great justifier!

Peter is already asking when I'm frying again, and my cousin called today to ask how I make it because her toddlers are begging for it.

Don't ask me. I just asked my mom, and she doesn't know-she just does it. And both of the other women involved, my grandmother Lois and her long time housekeeper Dorothy, are long gone from kitchens on this earth.

I somehow always assumed that it somehow helped with flour adherance, but I honestly never spent much time thinking about it. I just eat the stuff.

the baking soda actually does help the flour. the flour plumps a little bit while cooking, giving that nice thicker bready crisp coating. :wink:

Whoa, wait a minute. Everyone's talking about baking soda, but Brooks' recipe calls for baking powder. Am I using the wrong thing?

Marlene

Snowangel, that looks really really really good.

I have fried chicken a couple of times as this discussion has carried on -- I'm only human!

Things I have added to my method, having read here and tried: Adding a little leavening to the dredging flour.

AND, and this was a full-on revelation: Fifi's Aunt Minnie's instruction to start the pieces skin-side-UP! My carefully developed presentation side, always started skin-side-down, suffered during turnage, and from jostling against other pieces, and so forth. Brilliant.

Also, Aunt Minnie's clockwise-counterclockwise pan placement and turning instructions. Acquired chicken-frying wisdom, from someone who obviously cooked a lot of chicken, and often enough that she didn't forget such things in between.

Fried chicken is better than bacon, I think.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Fried chicken is better than bacon, I think.

Treading on dangerous ground here, I think. The one thing about bacon is all you have to do is get the bacon and fry it. And, without that bacon, you wouldn't have bacon grease to augment the other grease for chicken frying.

Hi everybody. This is my first post. I have been following the cook-offs as a "non-poster" for awhile now, and I decided that I want to join in.

I made fried chicken tonight, generally following the Martha/Aunt Minnie method. I soaked thighs and drumsticks in buttermilk, salt, a mixture of sambal chili-paste and cider vinegar (I didn't have tabasco), and a lot of rosemary for twenty-four hours. I don't think the rosemary did anything. I dredged the chicken in a mixture of flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, cayenne, and ground dried thyme. Then, I pan fried in Crisco and a bit of duck fat (I didn't have bacon fat).

I think it turned out pretty well, although it was a bit too salty for my taste. This was my fault. I halved the recipe because there are only two of us to feed. I don't have much experience with brining and (for some unknown reason) I had this idea that there wasn't very much salt in the brine, so I added more. However, given that this was my first time making fried chicken, I was happy with it. In the future, I would use more chili-sauce and cayenne, less salt.

A couple of questions: Can I do anything with the leftover buttermilk? I am wondering if it will be too salty to do anything with it. Also, why buttermilk and not just regular milk?

A couple of questions:  Can I do anything with the leftover buttermilk?  I am wondering if it will be too salty to do anything with it.  Also, why buttermilk and not just regular milk?

Thanks for the report. I don't have duck fat on hand now, but bet that would be mighty tasty.

I think the buttermilk is about the acid, but someone more scientific than moi might have a better answer.

And, welcome! Glad to have you here and chiming in.