• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yao T'ieu

Dejah

*** Applause!!!!*** We have a winner!

That looks and sounds so good. I haven't seen this before. Where were you, nondual1, when we needed you?

Duh....should I retract my photo? :blink:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

nondual1, may I ask where you're located? Did you make the ci fan or buy them? They look really good. I wonder if I can find them anywhere in the tri-state area (NY,NJ,CT).

TP, if the Malaysians can stuff yao char gwai into a pulut panggang we may have something similar.

Thank you to BOTH TP and Nondual1! My neice and I really appreciate your efforts. :wub: The photos are great and I will attempt to make them (once I can eat rice and flour again - trying a diet to get ready for summer :wink: ). I will remain her favourite auntie because of you two!

I've copied all the pictures to entice her. :laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Yes yes yes! That's what makes the simple ingredients so good - the contrast between the crisp yau ja gwai and and tender noodle.

But the soy sauce soften the yau ja gwai a little bit.

Yeah, it does. It's still good when it's softened a bit, but not when it's too soggy. Just gives you an excuse to eat it faster :biggrin: .

Here in Hong Kong, they usually serve it with three sauces and then sprinkle it with sesame seeds.

She asked if I knew how to make yao t'ieu ( Chinese long donuts, yao ja quay, the ones you dunk in your congee) stuffed with "pork silk"  then wrapped with sticky rice. The pork silk is the cooked dry shredded stuff sold in plastic containers. Often, I sprinkle this on top of my congee.

I think what your niece is thinking about is the "Ci Fan" (literally, "sticky rice") typically found in cuisines of the region around Shanghai. Some Taiwanese restaurants have it too.

Either savory or sweet -- you have to specify which when ordering -- it is a big part of Shanghainese breakfast, alongside soybean milk and plain yao tieu. The contrast of the crunchy yao tieu and the sticky rice is what makes it so attractive. Add to that the crispiness of the bits of pickle ("Za Cai") and the aromatic dried pork shreds ("Ro Song"), the savory version is my favorite. I believe the sweet ones are made with sugar in the place of meat and pickle.

I was just talking about this dish the other day during lunch with some Vancouver eGulleters! More specifically, I was lamenting the fact that the only restaurant I knew of in town that sold it has been closed for about 8-12 months now and I haven't been able to find it since. :sad:

The Shanghainese restaurant I once frequented served the Ci Fan with Ro Song also sprinkled atop the roll. :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Yes yes yes! That's what makes the simple ingredients so good - the contrast between the crisp yau ja gwai and and tender noodle.

But the soy sauce soften the yau ja gwai a little bit.

Yeah, it does. It's still good when it's softened a bit, but not when it's too soggy. Just gives you an excuse to eat it faster :biggrin: .

Here in Hong Kong, they usually serve it with three sauces and then sprinkle it with sesame seeds.

I think it's thinned down 海鲜酱 (hoisin sauce) and/or soy sauce , 芝麻酱 (sesame sauce... AWESOME!) and 辣椒酱 (chili sauce)

Edited by His Nibs (log)

She asked if I knew how to make yao t'ieu ( Chinese long donuts, yao ja quay, the ones you dunk in your congee) stuffed with "pork silk"  then wrapped with sticky rice. The pork silk is the cooked dry shredded stuff sold in plastic containers. Often, I sprinkle this on top of my congee.

I think what your niece is thinking about is the "Ci Fan" (literally, "sticky rice") typically found in cuisines of the region around Shanghai. Some Taiwanese restaurants have it too.

Either savory or sweet -- you have to specify which when ordering -- it is a big part of Shanghainese breakfast, alongside soybean milk and plain yao tieu. The contrast of the crunchy yao tieu and the sticky rice is what makes it so attractive. Add to that the crispiness of the bits of pickle ("Za Cai") and the aromatic dried pork shreds ("Ro Song"), the savory version is my favorite. I believe the sweet ones are made with sugar in the place of meat and pickle.

I was just talking about this dish the other day during lunch with some Vancouver eGulleters! More specifically, I was lamenting the fact that the only restaurant I knew of in town that sold it has been closed for about 8-12 months now and I haven't been able to find it since. :sad:

The Shanghainese restaurant I once frequented served the Ci Fan with Ro Song also sprinkled atop the roll. :wub:

In the Yaohan Osaka supermarket, you have your choice of regular OR black sticky rice. You then get to pick FOUR different fillings, some of which include the dried pork, preserved veggies, marinated eggs, beancurd, ham, salmon, eel, seaweed, spicy mushrooms and several others - total = $2.25! (if I remember correctly)

Is marinated egg, tea eggs, century eggs, or salted eggs?

Can't find where marinated egg is mentioned above but ... marinated egg (US version) is diferent from the 3 you mentioned. Marinated egg is cooked hard-boiled egg let sit in a mixture of salt, vinegar and some sugar. Sometimes spices are added to it too. Beetroot is also sometimes used to give color.

Edited by kew (log)

Is marinated egg, tea eggs, century eggs, or salted eggs?

Can't find where marinated egg is mentioned above but ... marinated egg (US version) is diferent from the 3 you mentioned. Marinated egg is cooked hard-boiled egg let sit in a mixture of salt, vinegar and some sugar. Sometimes spices are added to it too. Beetroot is also sometimes used to give color.

That's what we call "pickled eggs"? Tangy. They sell a lot of those in bars...unfortunately, without the yau t'ieu and sticky rice. :sad:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, the marinated egg I saw looked like a sliced mini-omelette with some soy-based sauce. It's not the tea-soaked eggs or the "lo sui" egg (soy-soaked? don't know the exact translation) that you may be thinking about - although I think one of those was also a choice! (hard-boiled in halves)

I also just remembered the stall on the right of the Pearl Castle bubble tea stall in Parker Place has a pretty good "ci fan" as well. HTH!

I was just talking about this dish the other day during lunch with some Vancouver eGulleters!  More specifically, I was lamenting the fact that the only restaurant I knew of in town that sold it has been closed for about 8-12 months now and I haven't been able to find it since.  :sad:

The Shanghainese restaurant I once frequented served the Ci Fan with Ro Song also sprinkled atop the roll.  :wub:

In the Yaohan Osaka supermarket, you have your choice of regular OR black sticky rice. You then get to pick FOUR different fillings, some of which include the dried pork, preserved veggies, marinated eggs, beancurd, ham, salmon, eel, seaweed, spicy mushrooms and several others - total = $2.25! (if I remember correctly)

Yummy... thanks for this Fluffy! I don't get to Richmond on a regular basis, but I'll try to schedule a stop at Yaohan Centre when I'm next out that way. :biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg