• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yao T'ieu

Dejah

Where I came from, coffe is to be had with toasts with butter/jam, and yau tieu with savory congee.

hzrt8w, I'm with you on this. I eat yau tieu dunked in a big cup of soy sauce.

Speaking for myself, I shy away from mixing sweet and savory foods. That could get really tricky... who knows what might happen once you start? I could end up putting apples in fried rice... :raz:

Speaking for myself, I shy away from mixing sweet and savory foods.  That could get really tricky... who knows what might happen once you start?  I could end up putting apples in fried rice...  :raz:

Erm, did you say apples in fried rice?

Nothing wrong with mixing sweet and savory. In fact, chinese food is all about a whole cahoots of flavors, sweet, sour, salty, and even bitter being present in a dish. Just a question of which flavor should raise its hand.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Are y'all talking about this stuff?

gallery_11814_148_149254.jpg

gallery_11814_148_50229.jpg

What are the ones in the second picture? Yetty?

The question first posted was about Yao Tieu stuffed with pork silk and wrapped in sticky rice. Got any pictures of those? :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Oh TP,  I am so sorry:sad:  I feel so embarrassed  :blush:  :blush:

Of all the examples I could've used, I had to use that one!

That's okay ....we understand.

Brain doesn't fire on all cylinders sometimes... most of the time actually.

:laugh::laugh:

Lawak-lawak saja aaah ..... En. Laksa.

Lawak-lawak saja aaah .....  En. Laksa.

Lawak-lawak is my middle name. It's also where I'm from... Sa-lawak, as the Chinese say it.

Not to get too far off-topic, so far I've seen yao tieu dunked in coffee, soy bean milk, congee, and spaghetttttti is now showing us what looks like chili sauce.

My dad taught me to eat yao tieu dipped in a slurry of fermented bean curd (foo yu) and the juice that comes in the jar.

Edited by Laksa (log)

Not to get too far off-topic, so far I've seen yao tieu dunked in coffee, soy bean milk, congee, and spaghetttttti is now showing us what looks like chili sauce.

The Malay chakoi stall sells it this way too - with chilli sauce. Yumm!

But still, da best is with peanut sauce. :biggrin:

That Salawak guy is vellllly funny! :laugh: The second pic is of mini cakwe doused in rujak/rojak sauce. Had the elements of hot, sweet, sour & peanutty richness. Velly delicious.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Sue-On, DH has, on many occasions, seen the yau tieu guy make the one with the sticky rice middle. According to him,

- the guy takes a longish block of prepared sticky rice (I suppose it's just sticky rice steamed with salt added to it).

- he then rolls the yau tieu dough into a flat rectangle,

- wets the sticky rice on all sides,

- position the sticky rice block in the middle of the dough,

- covers the block with dough, pinching the joins

- proceeds to slice the now longish block into individual pieces.

Will post the picture later....have sent DH on his merry way to the market to get some.

I really love the way this thread has developed. We've all learnt the many ways to eat a yau tieu. Are there more?

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Sue-On, DH has, on many occasions, seen the yau tieu guy make the one with the sticky rice middle. According to him,

- the guy takes a longish block of prepared sticky rice (I suppose it's just sticky rice steamed with salt added to it).

- he then rolls the yau tieu dough into a flat rectangle,

- wets the sticky rice on all sides, 

- position the sticky rice block in the middle of the dough,

- covers the block with dough, pinching the joins

- proceeds to slice the now longish block into individual pieces.

Will post the picture later....have sent DH on his merry way to the market to get some.

I think they call those ka joong. Some yau char kwai stalls also sell ngau lei so - the ones with with the crunchy bits in the middle of two shorter yau char kwai, ma keok - the rectangle ones and of course ham jeen paeng - the round ones, either plain with a dash of 5 spice powder inside or filled with red bean paste.

My favourite yau char kwai stall downtown has all of it - will try to get pics of them soon but I'm afraid I won't be able to do it this weekend - it's F1 weekend here and traffic is going to be madness in town.

Ben, maple syrup!?! Hey, I'll have to try that sometime. There's a stall here, Hau's, that has come up with some wild combos for cakwe. Stuffed with little sausages, pizza fixin's, minced prawn paste, uh-oh, I think a visit is in order.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

That Salawak guy is vellllly funny! :laugh:  The second pic is of mini cakwe doused in rujak/rojak sauce.  Had the elements of hot, sweet, sour & peanutty richness.  Velly delicious.

I hope you're not making fun of the way I speak. :hmmm:

When I first saw cakwe, I thought it was a typo for cake!

All this talk makes me hungry! And my usual haunt isn't open for another hour. Looks like I'm out of the race to upload a pic first. :rolleyes:

I always order the hahm tse fan (sticky rice, yao t'ieu, pork floss, salted preserved veg) by simply asking for tse fan, but lately I've noticed that the server asks whether I want the salty or sweet one. Does anyone know what's in the sweet kind?

Run the earth. Watch the sky.

All this talk makes me hungry! And my usual haunt isn't open for another hour. Looks like I'm out of the race to upload a pic first. :rolleyes:

I always order the hahm tse fan (sticky rice, yao t'ieu, pork floss, salted preserved veg) by simply asking for tse fan, but lately I've noticed that the server asks whether I want the salty or sweet one. Does anyone know what's in the sweet kind?

The only sweet kind I know of is made with sticky rice, yao t'ieu, and white sugar. There are probably many more different varieties though........

Zha Leung from NY's Sweet n Tart. Nothing has ever beat Ocean Palace's here in Brooklyn though. :)

Yeah. Zha Leung is a favorite breakfast in Hong Kong.

Zha is from Yau Zha Gwai (Yau Tieu). Zha is "deep-frying".

Leung means two. Refering to the service size: use two of the parted Yau Zha Gwai and roll on the Cheung Fun.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Silly question but for a good zha leung, should the yau zha gwai still be crisp?

Yes yes yes! That's what makes the simple ingredients so good - the contrast between the crisp yau ja gwai and and tender noodle.

Yes yes yes! That's what makes the simple ingredients so good - the contrast between the crisp yau ja gwai and and tender noodle.

But the soy sauce soften the yau ja gwai a little bit.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

My neice was visiting and she was reminiscing about street vendor treats in HK when she was there about 10 years ago.

She asked if I knew how to make yao t'ieu ( Chinese long donuts, yao ja quay, the ones you dunk in your congee) stuffed with "pork silk"  then wrapped with sticky rice. The pork silk is the cooked dry shredded stuff sold in plastic containers. Often, I sprinkle this on top of my congee.

In one of the threads, there was talk of yao t'ieu wrapped with rice noodle. Does anyone know of the ones with sticky rice? She said these were warm and wrapped in saran wrap. She couldn't remember if the sticky rice was savory or flavoured with anything.

I think what your niece is thinking about is the "Ci Fan" (literally, "sticky rice") typically found in cuisines of the region around Shanghai. Some Taiwanese restaurants have it too.

Either savory or sweet -- you have to specify which when ordering -- it is a big part of Shanghainese breakfast, alongside soybean milk and plain yao tieu. The contrast of the crunchy yao tieu and the sticky rice is what makes it so attractive. Add to that the crispiness of the bits of pickle ("Za Cai") and the aromatic dried pork shreds ("Ro Song"), the savory version is my favorite. I believe the sweet ones are made with sugar in the place of meat and pickle.

040724shihan.jpg

img35_lunch02.jpg

It is quite easy to make but quite challenging to make well (duh!). The key is the ingredients: you need very good yao tieu, preferrably fresh from the fryer, and sticky rice cooked just right, which is neither too moist nor too hard. Lay out a nice piece of saran wrap and oil it very lightly. Spread, not too ambitiously, a layer of warm sticky rice on the wrap, leaving lots of spare wrap all around; then spread on top of the rice a layer of pork shreds and pickle bits. Put a piece of yao tieu across and quickly roll up the "log." Tie up the two ends and apply pressure to shape it well. I find it easier to cut the finished product still wrapped and in larger pieces (like halves or thirds and no smaller). Eat it while the rice is still warm and the yao tieu crunchy.

Hope that works for you!