• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yao T'ieu

Dejah

My neice was visiting and she was reminiscing about street vendor treats in HK when she was there about 10 years ago.

She asked if I knew how to make yao t'ieu ( Chinese long donuts, yao ja quay, the ones you dunk in your congee) stuffed with "pork silk" then wrapped with sticky rice. The pork silk is the cooked dry shredded stuff sold in plastic containers. Often, I sprinkle this on top of my congee.

In one of the threads, there was talk of yao t'ieu wrapped with rice noodle. Does anyone know of the ones with sticky rice? She said these were warm and wrapped in saran wrap. She couldn't remember if the sticky rice was savory or flavoured with anything.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My neice was visiting and she was reminiscing about street vendor treats in HK when she was there about 10 years ago.

She asked if I knew how to make yao t'ieu ( Chinese long donuts, yao ja quay, the ones you dunk in your congee) stuffed with "pork silk"  then wrapped with sticky rice. The pork silk is the cooked dry shredded stuff sold in plastic containers. Often, I sprinkle this on top of my congee.

In one of the threads, there was talk of yao t'ieu wrapped with rice noodle. Does anyone know of the ones with sticky rice? She said these were warm and wrapped in saran wrap. She couldn't remember if the sticky rice was savory or flavoured with anything.

In Hong Kong, we say that it originated from Shanghai but I am not so sure. It is rolled up like Japanese maki sushi with sticky rice as the base, and preserved crunchy vegetable, pork silk, and long donut as the fillings. I usually get it with a warm glass of soya milk for a really filling breakfast or lunch. The sticky rice I had was not flavored with anything and is just plain steamed sticky rice.

She asked if I knew how to make yao t'ieu ( Chinese long donuts, yao ja quay, the ones you dunk in your congee) stuffed with "pork silk"  then wrapped with sticky rice. The pork silk is the cooked dry shredded stuff sold in plastic containers. Often, I sprinkle this on top of my congee.

In Hong Kong, we say that it originated from Shanghai but I am not so sure. It is rolled up like Japanese maki sushi with sticky rice as the base, and preserved crunchy vegetable, pork silk, and long donut as the fillings. I usually get it with a warm glass of soya milk for a really filling breakfast or lunch. The sticky rice I had was not flavored with anything and is just plain steamed sticky rice.

I"m not sure where it's from, either. I've never seen it as actual street food but there are dai pai dongs that make it outside - so it's kind of like "sidewalk food". It's very heavy; I can't eat more than half.

The yau jau gwai wrapped in rice noodle is called jah leung. It's a common noodle shop dish; you can find it at a lot of places. There's a little noodle shop near my flat in Sai Ying Pun that makes it fresh - they fry their yau jau gwai and steam their own rice noodles; it's excellent and only HK$10.

In Taipei I ate another type of yau jau gwai "sandwich" - it was stuffed inside shao beng - those sesame "pockets". We had it with savoury soymilk that had preserved vegetables and tiny dried shrip, and it was one of the best breakfasts I've ever eaten - really wonderfully delicious.

The stuff, known to me as 糯米飯團, is very common in Taiwan. I ("authentic Taiwanese")never found it in Shanghai, but now my husband ("authentic Shanghainese") tells me they sell them there also. Fine. So I don't know where it originated.

The rice is plain, not flavored.

Another use for Yiu Tieu is to put leftover pieces in soup. Delicious.

"Mom, why can't you cook like the iron chef?"

If I had seen this thread earlier, I would have taken a shot of the rice-filled chin paeng. We bought it all, but you can see other variations here :biggrin: We either eat the yau tieu (yau char kwai) with rice porridge or dipped into black coffee. Yum.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

If I had seen this thread earlier, I would have taken a shot of the rice-filled chin paeng. We bought it all, but you can see other variations here :biggrin:  We either eat the yau tieu (yau char kwai) with rice porridge or dipped into black coffee. Yum.

Tepee, there's no reason why you can't go back for more! :wink: You can use me as an excuse to indulge again. From your pronunciation " yau char kwai", you must be Cantonese?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Tepee, there's no reason why you can't go back for more! :wink:  You can use me as an excuse to indulge again.  From your pronunciation " yau char kwai", you must be Cantonese?

Sure thing. :smile:

Mom's Cantonese and dad's Hakka.

Once I arrived just when the YCK man was opening his stall. I stood and watch him make his goodies from dough; it was a real treat. He did it so beautifully, very precise actions and fast too. :wub: Wish I brought my camera...but then, I don't think he'll allow me to take pics. Apparently, they spend years as an apprentice.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

We either eat the yau tieu (yau char kwai) with rice porridge or dipped into black coffee. Yum.

Yau tieu dipped with black coffee? Interesting...is this a western influence (kinda like dunking doughnuts into your coffee?). Never heard of this.

I was also wondering about that... (Yau tieu dipped with black coffee?)

Doesn't it taste unusual (if not strange)? Mixing savory fried cabo with a sweet/bitter drink? Is it really a good combination?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Not sure what kind of influence it is but it's quite common to dip yau char kwai in hot local sweet black coffee in Malaysia and Singapore. Probably a case of what's available.

The local coffee here is somewhat similar to Vietnamese coffee and is roasted in butter. It's brewed differently though - ground coffee is place in a cloth bag attached to a metal handle and ladels of hot water is poured onto the gounf coffee in the cloth bags.

Doesn't it taste unusual (if not strange)?  Mixing savory fried cabo with a sweet/bitter drink?  Is it really a good combination?

Yummm, actually the taste combination sounds quite appealing to me.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

gallery_17803_917_1579.jpg

Char koay. Yumm! Now even Malay has "chakoi" stalls and the other round one which has the bean paste inside. Yumm!!!

There is one roti canai stall up in Fraser's Hill that makes really good chakoi and they serve it with 'sambal kacang' - peanut sauce. Not like satay sauce but more like the sambal kacang you get with cucur udang. Real cucur udang that is, not the pseudo-chilli sambal. Like pecal's sauce.

And yes, my Dad would dip chakoi in sweet black coffee too. But then he dips *everything* in coffee - even banana fritters. :wacko::laugh:

Edited by kew (log)

Kew, I don't know what cucur udang is! I sort of get the idea, but perhaps you'd like to describe it further. It's made with sambal kacang. Is that black bean sauce, or does it have belacan in it?

Michael aka "Pan"

Kew, I don't know what cucur udang is! I sort of get the idea, but perhaps you'd like to describe it further. It's made with sambal kacang. Is that black bean sauce, or does it have belacan in it?

Cucur Udang - Prawn Fritters. (Not an exact recipe but this is how I make them, everything is an estimate only).

About a handful of shelled, deveined prawns. A handful of Chinese chives cut into 1/2" strips. A handful of bean sprouts, end (roots) removed. Half of a big onion, chopped. About a pound of flour, add a dash or two of tumeric powder. An egg. Salt to taste. Mix everything together with water to make a thick batter. May also add sliced fresh chillies. Drop a tablespoonful into hot oil and fry till golden brown. Some people prefer to use a stainless steel ladle and immerse the ladle with batter into the hot oil. When semi-cooked, the cucur will be released from the ladle. Usually this way, one prawn is also put on top of the batter as garnish.

** usually I will mix the prawns with the tumeric and salt and let sit for a while, and then add them to the batter.

The 'sambal' is basically these things pounded together - dry roasted peanuts, tamarind juice, lightly fried dried chilli, lightly stir-fried shallot, palm sugar, salt, just a tad of belacan. This sauce taste even better if allowed to stand for a few hours.

The Mamak version however, has baking powder in it and the prawns are not shelled (but probably because they don't have the time to do so, just like restaurants don't remove the root part of bean sprouts).

Some people will add some pounded dried prawns for a more intense flavor.

Edited by kew (log)

Here's a recipe that makes the 'commercial' Cucur Udang ie the mamak places and stalls:

cucur udang

Note the sauce recipe in there. Not the 'original peanut kind. But sometimes, some vendors will still take the trouble to make the peanut sauce.

Also I find that adding baking powder although makes a lighter cucur but it also makes a more oily cucur. I prefer the old-fashioned homemade kind. :biggrin:

Edited by kew (log)

Doesn't it taste unusual (if not strange)?  Mixing savory fried cabo with a sweet/bitter drink?  Is it really a good combination?

hzrt8w, I'm surprised that you would find this unusual. :hmmm: Isn't it very much a Chinese thing to eat yau tieu dipped in hot (and sweet) soy bean milk? It's not such a great leap to do the same with coffee... Maybe I'm confused.

Edited by Laksa (log)

Here's a recipe that makes the 'commercial' Cucur Udang ie the mamak places and stalls:

cucur udang

kew, you must forgive me but I'm one of those completely hopeless people who simply cannot tell what something is like by reading a recipe. :wacko:

So is cucur udang anything like a cheesecake?

errr laksa ...Do Malaysians deep fry cheesecake? :shock::laugh::raz:

The key word in kew's recipe was "deep fry" :wink:

But then, maybe you'd put cheesecake inside the batter in place of the shrimp on top.

I am on the Canadian prairies . . .so I may be wrong at teasing you, laksa!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

]

hzrt8w, I'm surprised that you would find this unusual.  :hmmm:  Isn't it very much a Chinese thing to eat yau tieu dipped in hot (and sweet) soy bean milk?  It's not such a great leap to do the same with coffee... Maybe I'm confused.

**Whack on Laksa's head with a bunch of noodles** You are definitely confused. One is white and the other is black!

Seriously, hzrt8w, you must try the dunk-in kopi-O (as we call it).

kew, you must forgive me but I'm one of those completely hopeless people who simply cannot tell what something is like by reading a recipe. wacko.gif

So is cucur udang anything like a cheesecake

I must have a girl-2-girl talk with Ms Congee. Her notbetterhalf has a perpetual tongue-stuck-in-cheek problem. Don't tell me you don't know what cucur udang is? Don't they have it over yonder eastern pond?

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

errr laksa ...Do Malaysians deep fry cheesecake? :shock:  :laugh:  :raz:

Dejah, you come up with a lot of good ideas... let's form a business plan. We could make millions!

You are definitely confused. One is white and the other is black!

TP, thanks for pointing that out. It all makes sense to me now! Did I ever mention that I was colorblind?

Actually, I have never seen anything like the round fritters in the picture you linked to. I've had flat crispy pancake-like deep fried dough-thingy with one or two whole shrimps in each piece, head and shell included. Usually eaten with a sweet and spicy sauce. Is that also cucur udang?

TP, thanks for pointing that out.  It all makes sense to me now!  Did I ever mention that I was colorblind?

You're welcome...by the way, a high % of men are colorblind.

Actually, I have never seen anything like the round fritters in the picture you linked to.  I've had flat crispy pancake-like deep fried dough-thingy with one or two whole shrimps in each piece, head and shell included.  Usually eaten with a sweet and spicy sauce.  Is that also cucur udang?

That is cucur udang. Like people shapes, some are rounder and some are flatter.

And now, we must apologize to Su-On for hijacking her thread.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

TP, thanks for pointing that out.  It all makes sense to me now!  Did I ever mention that I was colorblind?

You're welcome...by the way, a high % of men are colorblind.

Actually, I have never seen anything like the round fritters in the picture you linked to.  I've had flat crispy pancake-like deep fried dough-thingy with one or two whole shrimps in each piece, head and shell included.  Usually eaten with a sweet and spicy sauce.  Is that also cucur udang?

That is cucur udang. Like people shapes, some are rounder and some are flatter.

And now, we must apologize to Su-On for hijacking her thread.

Hey! N/P :smile: There was the bonus of learning about cucur udang! You will be forgiven if either you or kew show me a picture of the sticky rice wrapped yao char kui AND include instructions for making same!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

hzrt8w, I'm surprised that you would find this unusual.  :hmmm:   Isn't it very much a Chinese thing to eat yau tieu dipped in hot (and sweet) soy bean milk?  It's not such a great leap to do the same with coffee... Maybe I'm confused.

Hmmm... please excuse this ignorant Hong Konger. I have not been exposed to your food culture.

Where I came from, coffe is to be had with toasts with butter/jam, and yau tieu with savory congee.

Yau tieu with soy bean milk is more a Northern thing. I did have it once in Beijing one morning. However, the soy bean milk I had was plain (unsweetened). So I thought it is the Northerners' version of congee. Not educated whether they drink sweet ones with yau tieu...

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

cucur udang

Note the sauce recipe in there. Not the 'original peanut kind.[...]

Indeed not, and the recipe calls for "2 tbsp white or artificial vinegar." What in the world is "artificial vinegar"? (Maybe I don't really want to know?)

Michael aka "Pan"

What in the world is "artificial vinegar"? (Maybe I don't really want to know?)

:laugh:

The words of them peeps at the Ministry of Health, M'sia.

Oh and I must say you haven't had a really good Cucur Udang until you have had the homemade kind with peanut sauce. :raz::laugh:

Back to the topic at hand, does anyone make this chakkoi at home? I'd love to try if anyone has a T&T recipe.

Edited by kew (log)