• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pectin NH

tan319

Ted,

try chef connection in Maryland, they have it listed on their price sheet.

call my store later 516-794-4478 and i'll look through all my vendors.

Brian

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I did find it here

http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l/en...ine_nh_nap.html

but i think it's in france and , considering that a month later I'm STILL waiting for a Thuries back issue I ordered, I'll pass on that.

Sorry I didn't google in the 1st place, what was I thinking?

These allergies have my brain scrambled!

Thanks for the info, Brian.

2317/5000

You should google it or check nightscotsman' post on the 'Bau tuile' thread.

Apple pectin is used to gel or make more viscous a sauce, especially fruit ones, high acid, etc.

Bau's tuiles use apple pectin in it, it being a flourless recipe that involves glucose too.

It's a take on the lace cups type of thing.

Anyway, Micael LAiskonis wrote that he used pectin NH, which I've seen used in making your own neutral glazes, etc., in Bau and Balaguers book.

It seems to work with moisture well and you can remelt it too, I think.

Tchorst has some good stuff about pectins in the Bau thread too.

I hope this helps, Mike!

Thanks

2317/5000

• 11 months later...

yes i believe it's fast setting/reversable. reversable meaning that you can melt it after it is set and it will set again.

gummy bear pectin need not be reversable since it will not be remelted. also gummy bear pectin need not be fast setting since it will set in a mold.

according to m. canonne of french pastry school, there is differing degrees of setting rates as well as differing remelting possiblities.

Use it for fruit glazes. It's reversible by heating and usually 10 grams per kilo of glaze works perfectly. Pectin X58 is a low sugar type.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

works excellent as a substitute for apple pectin

torreblanca has entire chapter of pate de fruit

benefit is less sugar needed, and just needs to be boiled

does not need to reach 104c

emulsifies very well

can be reheated, emulsified, reset as cream/flan

excellent product

only drawbacks are slightly gamey flavor and very high strength, so precise measurements are necessary, as well as a flavor masker such as alcohol or acid would be advised for cleanest taste

• 9 months later...
You should google it or check nightscotsman' post on the 'Bau tuile' thread.

Apple pectin is used to gel or make more viscous a sauce, especially fruit ones, high acid, etc.

Bau's tuiles use apple pectin in it, it being a flourless recipe that involves glucose too.

It's a take on the lace cups type of thing.

Anyway, Micael LAiskonis wrote that he used pectin NH, which I've seen used in making your own neutral glazes, etc., in Bau and Balaguers book.

It seems to work with moisture well and you can remelt it too, I think.

Tchorst has some good stuff about pectins in the Bau thread too.

I hope this helps, Mike!

Thanks

Hi Ted,

What does the NH stand for in pectin NH?

-NhumiSD

• 3 years later...